Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 7/14/2014 7:03:56 PM EDT
So the Army spent millions on 4 separate camouflage tests. In each test the winners and the research were discarded. Each time wasting money and lives. The UCP ACU wasn't even part of the testing (FYI). It used a Urban Tract pattern minus the black and thrown into the Canadian Pattern that the Marines adopted.

Then, when they finally have a real competition involving private industry, they narrow it down to 4 finalist, each with a family of patterns (Kryptek, Hyperstealth, Crye and Brookwood), each better than anything else on the market or with our sister services (MARPAT, AOR, ect.); Congress gets involved and shuts down the selection declaring that we can only use what we have or go to a single joint uniform, because they are just now worried about wasted money!?!

So what's the answer? The Army asks to buy the rights to Multicam from Crye, which is their bread and butter. Crye says 24 million for a tested and fielded family of camouflage. The Army doesn't even give them a counter offer and brings out the Scorpion pattern that Crye designed almost 10 years ago. Oh an by the way, it didn't test as well as Multicam or any of the other 3 for that matter.

Supposedly they are going to "tweek" the camo (Scorpion) and avoid the new legislation saying that we can't get a new system. We will fill the bookend requirements for woodland and desert by bringing back the old Woodland (BDU) and desert (DCU) camouflage or adopting MARPAT.

This is going to be another wreck, just like the UCP/ ACU.

On behalf of our troopers in harms way, please contact your congressman via usa.gov and let them know they should do better...

I know that camouflage is just a drop in the bucket for everything that they are dropping the ball on... but at least add it to the list and send out an E-mail.

Your vote counts, let them know it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pics bro.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Breaking new ground with this post OP.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Second one looks good...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks just like the stuff I wore in the ghan.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So the Army spent millions on 4 separate camouflage tests. In each test the winners and the research were discarded. Each time wasting money and lives. The UCP ACU wasn't even part of the testing (FYI). It used a Urban Tract pattern minus the black and thrown into the Canadian Pattern that the Marines adopted.

Then, when they finally have a real competition involving private industry, they narrow it down to 4 finalist, each with a family of patterns (Kryptek, Hyperstealth, Crye and Brookwood), each better than anything else on the market or with our sister services (MARPAT, AOR, ect.); Congress gets involved and shuts down the selection declaring that we can only use what we have or go to a single joint uniform, because they are just now worried about wasted money!?!

So what's the answer? The Army asks to buy the rights to Multicam from Crye, which is their bread and butter. Crye says 24 million for a tested and fielded family of camouflage. The Army doesn't even give them a counter offer and brings out the Scorpion pattern that Crye designed almost 10 years ago. Oh an by the way, it didn't test as well as Multicam or any of the other 3 for that matter.

Supposedly they are going to "tweek" the camo (Scorpion) and avoid the new legislation saying that we can't get a new system. We will fill the bookend requirements for woodland and desert by bringing back the old Woodland (BDU) and desert (DCU) camouflage or adopting MARPAT.

On behalf of our troopers in harms way, please contact your congressman via usa.gov and let them know they should do better...

I know that camouflage is just a drop in the bucket for everything that they are dropping the ball on... but at least add it to the list and send out an E-mail.

Thanks
View Quote

For those of us that are forced to wear UCP, we'll take anything. And Scorpion is far more effective that what we currently have, the Army owns it, and it can be fielded fairly rapidly.

If the Pres can sidestep congress, why can't the guys with all the guns do it to get something that will save lives?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep in mind that the scorpion we see online is not the version 2 that we will get stuck with.

If you remember the last time that they "Army" made the call, we got UCP. I'm sure it will be better.... but why be OK with better. Horse crap might be better than duck crap... but I don't want to eat it.

They started with CADPAT, one of the best camouflage patterns in the world and turned it into UCP, the worst camo... ever.

We need to start sending these guys some E-mails.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I think we should wear the camo of the revolutionary war.  You know, the shit they wore everyday.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
How do I paste pictures in here? Enter the URL option isn't working out for me... obviously.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Crye should have asked for $24 million in tax credits rather than a cash payment which the Army didn't have in the budget.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How do I paste pictures in here? Enter the URL option isn't working out for me... obviously.
View Quote

The old fashioned way would be to use the "[IMG]" html tag.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep emailing them and telling them to make Woodland universal for all branches, but it ain't happened yet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish they would do something that makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
And all the cool guys are wearing woodland,which means if everybody else gets to wear it they'll go back to plain green like the Rangers in the 80s

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#15]
So when we supposed to get scorpion? Cause I really hate this clown suit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
The joke I made at work was "Ok so in true army style they will break it just enough to not infringe copy rights so they don't have to pay royalties. Up side we get a new camo pattern when the army supposedly cant afford to do anything right now but it will be also broken enough to where it's still garbage" How about you guys stop messing with stuff and figure out how to find enough money to keep the force operating the way it's supposed to.

I know UCP sucks but this is a case where the family is going bankrupt but we need to upgrade the family boat because the old one isn't "good enough". Whats the problem with continuing to issue Multicam for expiditionary operations and keep the UCP around until the budgets and cut backs get sorted out in a few years? It wouldnt be the first time we had multipul camo patterns for multipul missions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I emailed my congressman and told them to go with OD green and call it good
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
ATACS and ATACS FG.

Designed by a veteran and the best camo pattern ever IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
You know that the troops in AFG are wearing Muilitcam right, and UCP is for Garrison.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I emailed my congressman and told them to go with OD green and call it good
View Quote

Seems to work alright for the Israelis.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]

It's gotta be good -------------------------------------------- It's Mil-spec...

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Its that thing that looks like a picture.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ATACS and ATACS FG.

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

ATACS and ATACS FG.

View Quote

I think the pencott greenzone and badlands camo look pretty good too.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I recently went to an exercise attended by 9 different countries.  This shit we're wearing makes us look completely ridiculous.  We need to ditch UCP ASAP.

Foreign Guy: Hey, are you guys going to need face paint for operation tomorrow?

<Foreign Guy looks soldier next to him up and down>

Foreign Guy:  Hmmmm.  I guess it doesn't really matter if you're wearing that.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What a waste of taxpayers' money. Congress should never have let the Marines have their own camo.
View Quote

I wouldn't blame the Marines. They, apparently, made the right choice the first time. It's the Army who can't seem to be able to get its act together on this. I'm neither a congressmen nor a member of the military but, to me, the solution appears to be a simple one. The Army needs to issue two types of camo---regular multicam for desert deployments and multicam tropic for wooded/jungle ones.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice pics bro.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You know that the troops in AFG are wearing Muilitcam right, and UCP is for Garrison.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would there be a garrison camo???? Fucking ever?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What a waste of taxpayers' money. Congress should never have let the Marines have their own camo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Marines aren't the ones trying justify a new pattern every time we turn around.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

SECDEF should gave squashed that.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Marines aren't the ones trying justify a new pattern every time we turn around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...The Marines didn't care what pattern they used as long as it had something about the marines in the name.  It could've been a Santa suit and as long as it said "MarSanta Pattern" they'd have all claimed that it wa the best pattern ever.  Especially in desert environments.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like the time I ate shrimp tacos, got drunk, got food poisoning, and managed to shit and puke all over myself.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#35]
When I read MARPAT, my mind said KMART.  

Yikes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Marines spent taxpayer money to make a camouflage that was only for their own use out of vanity. what's more important, Marines feeling like special snowflakes or a soldier avoiding being raked by Taliban machinegun fire because he has shitty acu camo instead of Marpat?  

Marpat got the ball rolling on all this service specific camo. Whoever was involved in that acu crap and that ridiculous blue navy bullshit should be court martialed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't blame the Marines. They, apparently, made the right choice the first time. It's the Army who can't seem to be able to get its act together on this. I'm neither a congressmen nor a member of the military but, to me, the solution appears to be a simple one. The Army needs to issue two types of camo---regular multicam for desert deployments and multicam tropic for wooded/jungle ones.

The Marines spent taxpayer money to make a camouflage that was only for their own use out of vanity. what's more important, Marines feeling like special snowflakes or a soldier avoiding being raked by Taliban machinegun fire because he has shitty acu camo instead of Marpat?  

Marpat got the ball rolling on all this service specific camo. Whoever was involved in that acu crap and that ridiculous blue navy bullshit should be court martialed.

Blaming the Marines for big Army fucking it up every single time is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You did it now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it was the USMC that got the ball rolling on all of the service specific camo's. I got that. However, with that said, there's no excuse for this stuff to have turned into the fustercluck that it has been for the Army. Again, to me, Multicam---or a camo that's very similar to Multicam---seems to be the correct answer for the Army.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Honestly Crye is being a bit of a fucking asshole, I heard they wouldn't budge from a "certain" number, and the reason why it wasn't countered is because of that. The best uniform should go to our troops, it's not like Crye would be hurting after the deal.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Keep in mind that the "new camouflage" was meant to be one of three patterns. It would be a common pattern that would work ok in all environments; better than UCP anyway. Then, there would have been two "bookend" patterns; one more greenish, and one more tan.

So, now, what patterns are they considering? Link to Soldier Systems
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Marine Corps has had to deal with an endless supply of hand-me-down used out-of-date horseshit from the Army forever.  The one time the USMC decides they are gonna actually whip out a little cash to get something new that isn't an Osprey, I'm not gonna fault em for it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?  The quantities purchased exceed any price advantage obtained by economies of scale. This business of all the branches being the same only promotes group think.

The Marines are the ones who are squared away. I have lost count of how many different camo styles and uniforms the Army has gone through sense the the Marines adopted MARPAT.

BTW: it is not vanity as you assert. The Marines want the enemy to know who is coming to kill them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'm all for free enterprise but I kind of agree that crye are being shitheads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly Crye is being a bit of a fucking asshole, I heard they wouldn't budge from a "certain" number, and the reason why it wasn't countered is because of that. The best uniform should go to our troops, it's not like Crye would be hurting after the deal.
I'm all for free enterprise but I kind of agree that crye are being shitheads.
Crye would be relinquishing all rights to the camo pattern.  $24million is peanuts compared to almost $4billion to give EBT, medicaid and pre-hearing chaparones to illegals invading this country.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Instead of another go round of expensive camo nonsense, it'd be cheaper to give every Marine rifleman ( or whatever the correct term is) a card that says "Times are tough in the United States, we, the American taxpayer, apologize for swiping multicam, thank you for you sacrifice, enclosed is a certificate good for either 1 a colt 1911, 2 $ 2000 off the purchase of a F150 special USMC edition truck that will only be available with this coupon, or 3 a weekend with a hooker in Rio."  
View Quote

You are a such a dick for making my decision that hard.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top