Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2001 7:25:51 PM EDT
I am not a cherry anymore (well, almost.  I haven't shot it yet!).  It's a 20" target model, and I am impressed with it's good looks.

Anything I should know before going out and firing this thing?  Hints, tips, etc...

Are all the 10 round mags that come with these things this ugly?  Why is it in two pieces?  It's three inches on the top piece and about an inch and a quarter on the bottom.  Is there any reason they didn't just use a one piece body for it?  Kind of loose and funky, too.  Perhaps I'll just wait until those used USGI mags get here before I go out to the range.
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Hold it away from your face for the first shot. I'm not kidding.
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Hold it away from your face for the first shot. I'm not kidding.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, and my Bushy cancelled our date tonite [:D]

Seriously, congrats man. I wish I could get on in Kali. I shoulda bought at least a recvr when I was able to.
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
What did you name it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd clean it good, and lube as per the manual. Don't be REAL surprised if there are "teething" problems with a new AR. Use USGI magazines in good shape (I don't trust those 10-rd mags), and most important; let us know how it does. If at first, it isn't real reliable, give it about 100rds to sorta "smooth out". My shorty was like that, and now it NEVER fails. Just do your part, and take care of it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the advise above, I have built two AR and they both took a short while to smooth out. Do a complete functions check and by lots of ammo, this will become your favorite rifle!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/31/2001 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Those 10 round magizines aren't worth the green follower in them.  Your right for waiting for the GI.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Barrel Break-in?? I 'm not trying to be a smartass,but I thought you did'nt need to break-in a chromed-lined barrel, least that what it says in the instruction booklet I got with mine.All you have to do is shoot a couple hundred rounds throught it to polish the chrome up and it should be ready to go. Ditto on the wolf ammo stay away from it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#10]
DAWGYINWNDOW One thing to know before firing a brand new Bushy 20" target. Barrel Break In! Proceed to clean after every 20 rds untill you reach 180 rds, Then clean after every 100 rds untill you reach 400 rds, and finally you can clean after each session. Good Luck, try to stay away from Wolf ammo with steel cases, at least during break in.
View Quote

Wrong! Read the Bushmaster FAQ:
http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/index5.htm

As far as magazines go. Sounds like you have a "Frankin-Mag".  These magazines are chopped up so that they cannot be converted to higher capacities than the '94 crime bill allows (10 rounds).  My Frankin-Mag functions flawlessly in my Bushmaster. The only problem is that it only holds 10 rounds and can't be taken apart.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I got mine today at a gun show. The new Bushy M4 with the fixed stock, Y-Comp brake, and A3 sights. It came with the new 10 round mag and an Orlite 30 round mag. After puechase I immediately went to another booth and got the Colt M4 handguards for it. Here she is. I can't wait to fire it.

http://208.55.83.138/M4.jpg
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
ok breaking in a chrome lined barrel "please" shoot it like it was meant to be shot, fast and lots of rounds. go to bushy's FAQ page read up you will be fine mine was never "broke in" and it still shoots sub moa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top