Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2003 8:27:56 PM EDT
I am at a complete loss of words for this one.  Dumb fucking luck, that's all there is to it.

[url]http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,5822148%5E21302,00.html[/url]

Car crashed and still on the phone

By BEN SHARKEY and STEVE GEE
11jan03

THE driver of this car was having a blue with his girlfriend when he drove straight into a pole.

And when ambulance and fire crews arrived on the shocking scene, they found the motorist with a few cuts and bruises – and still on the phone to his girlfriend.

The driver, a 17-year-old P-plater, was driving his Mitsubishi Lancer home when he slammed into the pole on Flushcombe Rd, Blacktown, about 12.05am yesterday.

Inspector Chris Paine from Blacktown police said he was amazed the youth survived the crash.

"The rear half of the car was cut right off and stayed under the pole and the front portion skidded and jumped for another 22m before it stopped with the driver still in it," he said.

"It's not a miracle that he walked away barely injured – it is a miracle he walked away at all.

"The Fire Brigade was called to cut him from the car but he didn't need them – in the end it was easy to get him out."

The car left 55m of skid marks before it hit the pole.

Witnesses who said the youth was still in his seat belt and on his mobile phone arguing with his girlfriend when found by police.

Sources said the youth was driving home after having a fight with his girlfriend when he crashed.

He suffered only minor bruises and cuts and was taken to Westmead Hospital where he received treatment including several stitches.

"His injuries aren't too bad when you look at what happened to the car – I might have to get a Mitsubishi Lancer myself," Insp Paine said.

He said police had yet to interview the motorist and were unable to confirm whether he was on the phone when the crash occurred.

"[But] he was on the phone when police arrived," Insp Paine said.

Police sources said yesterday the fact the car had been torn in half indicated a speed more than likely in excess of 150km/h.

The section of Flushcombe Rd where the crash occurred is straight and crash investigators were unable to explain yesterday how the young driver lost control.

Insp Paine said, despite being only a provisional driver, police were powerless to confiscate the youth's licence.

Under current legislation motorists face an automatic one-month suspension for driving over 130kmh.

Any driver caught travelling 45kmh over the speed limit faces a six-month licence suspension.

"The Act is such that there are no grounds that provide for a collision," Insp Paine said.

"It's amazing, but technically he could buy a 5.7 litre Statesman and there's nothing to stop him going for a drive today."
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
[B]TEENAGERS![/B]

EDIT: But the question is...did he get some? Or was he on his way to get some? That might
'splain the whole 150+kph still on phone car cut in half thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt it.  He was on the phone ARGUING with her at the time.  [BD]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
proof that cell phone use while driving actually DECREASE your chances of getting hurt....
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
All the vehicles I drive have limiters.
98 mph on the two SuperDuties
107 on the Mercury

They keep my speed down a bit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I though "having a blue" meant he was getting head. You don't want to get one and crash.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Here in Aust, a "blue" is an argument/fight. I have no idea how the word blue started to be used to describe a fight/argument.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey, maybe I am a freak, but this really grates on my nerves.....

Quoted:

"The Act is such that there are no grounds that provide for a collision," Insp Paine said.

"It's amazing, but technically he could buy a 5.7 litre Statesman and there's nothing to stop him going for a drive today."
View Quote

Omigosh!  The Goobermint is POWERLESS to impose it's will on this young man...AMAZING!  INCOMPREHENSIBLE!

We need a sheep icon!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://flymeaway.net/images/sheep.gif[/img]

[img]http://flymeaway.net/images/sheep3.gif[/img]

[img]http://flymeaway.net/images/sheeple.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]
...and this is suprising why?  

I had a pursuit that reached 134 mph a few weeks ago and the whole time the idiot bad guy was on the cell phone calling his friends.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had a pursuit that reached 134 mph a few weeks ago and the whole time the idiot bad guy was on the cell phone calling his friends.  
View Quote

Thats funny.[:d]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

My cousin had one of those a few years ago. He was just about to call it in as one that got away, but when he came around the bend there was the car.....and down the road a bit was the other half. He was pulling him over due to his tag being loose, but the guy ran instead. The sad thing? The driver's paralized from the waist down, his best friend is dead and all over what would have been a misdemeanor. The tags were off of his [I]other[/I] car. He'd just gotten the 300Z and wanted to go for a drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top