Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2003 7:04:27 PM EDT
I have an employee who got bumped out of the service towards the end of basic.  His reason for discharge was due to a physical problem.  After working with this person I am starting to feel that his discharge might have been less than honorable(ie. he seems kinda shady).  My question is where do I find out what his discharge status was/is.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask him to produce his DD-214.  Of course, you will have to come up with a good reason to see it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Like DP said, ask him for his 214.  Tell him you need a copy for HR dept so that they can have credit for hiring a vet or something.  But if this guy never made it thru basic, He didnt have the 180 days of AD needed for a real discharge.  What he got was an Entry Level Seperation which im not sure even have classes of sepration.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You know, after 15+ years, I never thought about the 180 day rule.  He just might NOT have a DD-214.  Are there any S-1 bubbas out there who can verify?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
He'd have 214.  While I was being processed out, I helped out in the holdover platoon and saw all sorts of people getting out for whatever reason.  From what I can remember, all of them got a 214.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Like PSYWAR1-0 said, odds are he was kicked out under Chapt. 14 - Entry Level Separation. Whatever his actual "official" separation reason - understand that the chain of command will often take the easiest route to get rid of non-performers.

I've chaptered several for supposedly medical (in my cases, psychiatric) reasons (Ch. 5-18) who were really just shitbags. It was easier than establishing a pattern of misconduct or other evidence to push a discharge.

Inidentally, Ch. 5-18 is often the route a lot of slackers take if they WANT ot get kicked out. All you have to do is start acting psycho and get sent to see a shrink, and the process can start.

In other words, for civilian employers hiring military folks who did not complete an enilstment: buyer beware.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
A buddy of mine was kicked out in Basic due to a severely lazy eye. Funny thing is he can outshoot me most days! Anyhow he was given an "EPTS" discharge. Basically "Existing Prior To Service" go home, you weren't really here, come back if and when you're fixed kinda deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top