Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 6:00:57 PM EDT
[size=3]I got a real warm feeling and a big smile on my face when I read this in tonight's news, thank God this happened in the south, anywhere else and he'd been arrested for violating the robbers rights[/size=3]

74-Year-Old Man Kills Would-Be Robber

Associated Press Writer

January 10, 2003, 5:27 PM EST

[b]DECATUR, Ga.[/b] -- When 74-year-old J.C. Adams saw

three would-be robbers walk into his convenience store, he grabbed his shotgun with one hand and balanced himself on his walker with the other.

On a surveillance monitor, he saw two men and a woman hold up an employee at the cash register. [b]That's when Adams pushed his walker to the front of the store and confronted the armed suspects, killing one man and wounding the other[/b]. An employee held the woman until police arrived.

[b]"No need to let something like that live," [/b]said Adams, who had been wounded in a May 2000 robbery attempt in which he killed another intruder.

In his 26 years as owner of the Pac A Sac, a convenience store in a middle-class suburb just off Lawrenceville Highway, Adams has been robbed 12 times. He keeps the shotgun nearby now as he watches the store monitors. The walker he uses because of a recent knee surgery.

Police said Friday that Adams would not be charged in the shooting death Thursday of Cameron Lemont Glover, 17. Glover's 19-year-old brother, Leonard, and Tammy Crystal Jones, 17, were charged with armed robbery.

[b]Until three years ago, Adams said he kept a .38 handgun in his store, but he switched to a shotgun after yet another robbery.

"I shot at the guy and missed," he said. "You can't do anything with a .38."[/b]

Adams' defense of the store has made him a legend in the neighborhood.

"Everybody knows J.C.," said resident Nancy Pope. "Obviously (robbers) don't know who they are messing with."

Family members of the Glovers and attorneys for Leonard Glover and Jones could not be located.

Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What? They haven't filed a wrongful death lawsuit against this evil old man yet? They should sue for back robberies..I mean..back wages for all the years this young man won't be alive!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Must be some kind of extra monetary award to the dead robber since he was "just 17" and still a minor.  I bet his mother, pastor and the Rev. Al Sharpton all end up on the media bemoning the loss of this fine young man that was so well behaved and never did anything wrong.  

Either that or someone will claim that he was mentally retarded and that he didn't know that he was robbing a store.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
That happened not far from me, heard it on the radio. I love living in GA!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, give Mr. Adams a medal.  If more people stood up to crime like he did rather than cower to it, the crime rate would plummet, and damn quickly.

So, I'm proud to announce:

Good Guys - 1
Bad Guys - 0

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
nonoo

its Goodguys 2, Bad Guys 0. he offed another one before ;) he should put up a sign to go along with his totally UN-PC attitiude.
"No need to let something like that live," said Adams.
View Quote

"Robbing this store may be HAZARDOUS To your health!"

or "Robbing this store? Beware of incoming Lead!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top