Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2003 5:21:21 PM EDT
I'm replacing my AV current receiver with a Pioneer VSX-45TX because my older receiver went TU.
My old receiver had Dolby Pro-Logic only decoding, of course the new one decodes ALL formats.
I also just bought my first DVD player (non-progressive scan), also my SatTv(Dish) has an optical digital audio out.
My current home speaker setup is 5.0 (without the .1) so I also bought a powered sub-woofer.
Question:
Will my new 5.1 speaker setup be sufficent for the DVD/Sat programs I'll be watching or should I invest and install (at no small effort to remodeling my living room) the rest of the speakers for a 7.1 system, BTW the VSX-45TX is IS THX 7.1 certified.
Any opinions are appreciated, also I want to upgrade my TV - but not to HDTV at this time, any good suggestions for a 32"-36" high res TV or monitor would be welcome!
Thanks -
TB
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out [url]www.avsforum.com[/url] for a lot of good information.  

Sounds to me like your setup should be sufficient with a powered subwoofer.  7.1 is really 6.1 with two speakers for the rear channel as the two rear channels are not discrete.  I only run 5.1 as I have no room to the rear to put speakers, but I don't miss them too much.

As for the monitor, there is no reason not to go HDTV.  You can find a 36" HDTV for under 1500 bucks now.  Even if you don't use an HDTV decoder, it makes DVDs look a lot better, with no visible scan lines.  And if you do get real HDTV, it makes everything else look like crap.  Can't wait to watch the Raider game Sunday in HD.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a reason that 7.1 exists. It sounds better. Go ahead and wire the room for 7.1. Invest in a big screen 55 in. or larger(Mitsubishi has an 18 month no payment no interest plan - do it) and ensure that it's HD upgradeable and bring that DVD player back and buy one that has progressive scan.

If you're gonna build a home theater do it as good as your wallet will let you.

My set-up:
[img]http://www.ricktoberfest.com/toga/MVC-005F.JPG[/img]

The sub is behind the chairs:
[img]http://www.ricktoberfest.com/toga/MVC-002F.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
ARchoo, where did you mount the rear center speakers as you seem to have the same difficulty I was having with seating against the rear wall?  Did you do it near the ceiling?  I thought about that.  My system sounds pretty sweet with the 5.1 so I haven't been motivated to really try and work with it.

Cool big screen.  I have a 34" direct view because I needed a wide field of view.  A well set up RP has the best picture though.  Problem is you have to be right in front to see it.  I'll go big screen when they come out with a decent 60" plasma for under 4 grand.  About 5 yrs out is my guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top