Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2003 3:55:13 PM EDT
hi all

looking for a great price on a 3 bose double cube speakers.  i am looking on ebay, but i know things on there usually sell for more than what they cost new.  anyone have any links to sites that sell them?

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't want to turn this into a thread hijack, but have you actually looked into those speakers and others? The little radios are kind of cool, but when you are talking about a speaker system, you can do it better for less.

My brother has the bose system, I have a boston acoustic, mine sounds better and cost half as much. I think the saying goes "All highs, no lows, must be bose."
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ever try Crutchfield?

[url]http://www.crutchfield.com/[/url]

MM419
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Lojac, I have to agree with Bastait. I too was looking at Bose when a friend turned me onto the FACT that they are HIGHLY overrated. They do sound good, no doubt, but you can do as well or better for less.

I went with the Klipsch Quintets with a Klipsch 10" powered sub. It is awesome and I spent about $500... More money for the other parts of a HT setup!  [url]http://www.klipsch.com/products/systemdetail.asp?id=43[/url]

Search around [url]http://hometheaterforum.com/[/url] and you will find many other options!

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
two things, is it true that Bose still uses paper cone tweeters and never show the specs?
Guys, PAPER cone tweeters every other company uses at least a soft dome.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
International Stereos
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
humm

I gotta a great deal on a set.  im just looking to expand the set i have with a few double cubes.  i have a wonderful pair of cerigan (sp) vega 15" that will shake any house down to rubble if i want.  the bose works great with the gf and the size of them.  the cubes are realitively small and sound pretty good too.  i have seen a bose outlet center, but does the outlet have a website?

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
don't mean to hijack either, but do they still make the 901 speakers?
my brother bought a pair in Europe in the early 80's for maybe 1200     great sound
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]

How familiar are you with Bose? It is your money. Spend it as you desire. If Bose is what you want, go for it. However, you may  want to check out the Bose FAQ if you are not already familiar with it. It is a classic document concerning Bose that has stood the test of time.

[url]http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
To answer the original question, you can always look to see if there's an outlet store near you.  You might have had better luck a month ago, the last few months of the year are when they have most of their retail sales incentives. As for price-shopping, read my comments below re: grey market goods.

To answer a few other questions:

- The 'paper' alluded to isn't actually paper, it's a composite material that does include cellulose.  It's not unlike referring to US currency being made of 'paper' when in fact it's a type of cloth.

- They still sell the 901's.

- Sam's etc. doesn't carry the entire product line, what they mostly carry are lower-end units geared specifically for that market.

- If you find a specific model that is selling for considerably less then other places and they aren't marked as being refurbished there's a good chance that you're looking at grey market goods and you'd find that the serial #'s have been altered or removed.  If you buy grey market goods you WILL have trouble getting warranty service. Refurb speakers are marked on the speaker itself and usually on the box.

The point that several other people made about checking out options before buying are good ones.  One other point is to remind you that you always take a risk when you buy speakers without having actually listened to them.

Link Posted: 1/11/2003 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think the saying goes "All highs, no lows, must be bose."
View Quote

I have two sets of Bose speakers in my shop, they sound great! Highs/lows/midrange, it's ALL good.
AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top