Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 12:07:34 PM EDT

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,75131,00.html]Research Links Food Stamps and Obesity[/url]

"In a time of mass obesity, encouraging the poor to onsume more food makes no sense at all," said the researcher, University of Maryland Professor Douglas Besharov.
[red]Food stamps and other federal meal programs, he said, were launched at a time when hunger was a serious threat to the underprivileged. Today most of the poor have no problem getting enough to eat, according to Besharov.[/red]
In spite of the fact that millions of Americans have stopped receiving public assistance, the government spent $40 billion on food programs last year, more than ever before.
The overeating epidemic is growing fastest among poor kids: 16 percent of low-income children are either overweight or obese, twice the rate of other children. That puts federally-funded school breakfast and lunch programs – which are mandated to provide 60 percent of students’ total daily caloric intake – under the microscope.
View Quote

Gives even more credibility to the vision of millions of lazy, fatass, 300 pound, couch-sitting, bon-bon-eating, Springer-watching ungrateful social parasites who sit on their cellulite-filled fat ass cheeks all day stuffing doritos, cheetos, Capt. Crunch, french fries, haagen dasz and hot dogs in their bloated, pudgy-cheek, corpulent, tub-o'lard, stinking pieholes for years on end and then complain that the Gov't ain't giving them or their five fatass, blubbery, bovine-brain, soon-to-be-in-prison fatspawn children enough to eat.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, twice as many poor kids overweight then middle and upper class!

Only in america, the poor are the fattest.
Someone posted a comment awhile back about how someone from a poor country was able to take a trip to the US.
His words were something of the following, "in my country, the poor sit by garbage cans waiting for food, in america, the poor only own TWO TV's.
[usa]

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gives even more credibility to the vision of millions of lazy, fatass, 300 pound, couch-sitting, bon-bon-eating, Springer-watching ungrateful social parasites who sit on their cellulite-filled fat ass cheeks all day stuffing doritos, cheetos, Capt. Crunch, french fries, haagen dasz and hot dogs in their bloated, pudgy-cheek, corpulent, tub-o'lard, stinking pieholes for years on end and then complain that the Gov't ain't giving them or their five fatass, blubbery, bovine-brain, soon-to-be-in-prison fatspawn children enough to eat.
View Quote

Your insults are the reason I keep coming back to ar15.com [:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well if todays poor follow what the Native Americans expierenced then real soon they will have all kinds of bad health problems.  Bad eyesight, diabetes ect.  Russle Means in "Where White Men Fear to Tread" has a chapter devoted to the problem of govt food handouts.  High Sugar and Starch diets lead to bad things down the road.    

Whats even worse is how the bad genes stay with you.  My Bad eyes and probable onset of diabetes in the next 5 years are my most native features.  Even though my family has been off the rez since the beginning of the 20th Century.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m not sure that Fox didn’t put a little spin on this story to make it more newsworthy.

They wait till nearly the end of the article to state:

“Besharov thinks the government should continue to fund food programs but needs to change the emphasis from quantity and caloric intake to nutrition counseling and healthy eating habits.”

Which makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Having some people that are on food stamps and overweight is a small price to pay to keep some children from starvation.

Your insults are the reason I keep coming back to ar15.com
View Quote

They can be entertaining at times.z
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Having some people that are on food stamps and overweight is a small price to pay to keep some children from starvation.
View Quote
Did you see the stats? Kids on welfare are TWICE as likely to be OBESE. Not just overweight - but OBESE. That's being more than 30% over ideal weight. There's probably another 50% of welfare kids that are "merely" overweight with MOST of the remainder probably pretty close to ideal weight.

If there are ANY kids "starving" in America, it's not because they don't get food stamps - it's because their "parents" are probably crackheads, schizophrenic, alcoholics or just plain evil fuckstains.

Sherry Murphy got plenty of welfare money to help feed those kids but food stamps didn't stop this sick, wretched, crackhead-cuntbitch-psychofuck from starving those three kids to death.

[img]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/LAW/01/10/murphy.plea/murphy.ap.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Macallan, Only one of the kids died. But the bitch still deserves to be skinned alive, rolled in salt, and basted in lemon juice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Kids on welfare are TWICE as likely to be OBESE. Not just overweight - but OBESE.
View Quote

You're talking about averages.  I'm talking about the ones that it helps.  My wife worked for the state, and she saw plenty of children that were malnurished that they were able to help.  Getting help paying for groceries can make the difference between a child that gets enough to eat and a child that has permanent problems caused by lack of food.  One meal ~180 days per year at school isn't enough for a child to live off of.  They don't get that until they get to kindergarten.

If there are ANY kids "starving" in America, it's not because they don't get food stamps - it's because their "parents" are probably crackheads, schizophrenic, alcoholics or just plain evil fuckstains.
View Quote

Not always true.  Not everyone has friends or family that are well-off enough to be able to help.  Is it your claim that any parent that can't find a job and has to spend all of their savings to make ends meet is an "evil ----stain?"  That's a very wide brush you're painting with.  I grew-up during the depression so that might skew my view, but calling someone the names you did because they can't afford a place to live and food to eat, isn't nice.  Yes, yell at the parents that are teaching their kids unhealthy eating habits, but you're going to far with your generalization.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top