Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2003 8:38:14 AM EDT
I have never saw this movie but heard some good reviews about it..Is it worth buying on DVD?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a bit hokey but otherwise great.

Why don't you rent it first and decide for yourself?

[size=6]WOLVERINES![/size=6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have it on tape and enjoy it, but I agree. Rent it first. Definitely a "B" movie, but it pushes all the right buttons.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have it on DVD.  A little far-fetched, but a interesting read on what would happen should the US fall victim to a surprise attack of ground forces.  I like it.  I would say it's a pro gun movie.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
For $10, you can't go wrong!  I'd buy two for when you wear out the first one!  I grew up watching this movie over and over and I still can't get enough of it!

WOLVERINES!!

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=Balzac72&album_id=103554&image_id=1&courtesy=1[/img]
[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=Balzac72&album_id=103554&image_id=2&courtesy=1[/img]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a great movie.  Even people I normally wouldn't think of as being pro-gun, love it.

It is very Pro-gun.  They even take swipes at 4473's and registries.  It is interesting that Charlie Sheen, Patrick Swayze, Jennifer Grey and Lea Thompson are in it.  I wonder if their politics are as screwed up as most of Hollywood's?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I really liked it.  You should see it but I don't know if you should buy it unless the DVD's are reasonable.  Since it's so old then maybe the DVD is cheep now.

A scene in the movie shows that you should never take advantage of a woman. [nono]

Rambosky
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Great movie !!
It's usually in the $9.00 DVD rack at wally world.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Hokey?

I'll have you know that I researched every friggin detail in that movie for use in planning my own SHTF, or TEOTWAWKI, scenario!

I had even planned on hijacking a couple of chicks for 'recapitulation of the species' purposes!

[b]A little DNA and R&R rolled up into two hot packages![/b]

BTW, the restraining order obtained by Lea Thompson should be running out sometime soon!

Damn the costs of research!

Eric The([b]AvengeMe![/b])Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to think Jennifer Grey was hot, until she got her nose job.

Now she doesn't look any different from anyone else.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#10]
LOL!

Why Eric, what an un-Christian attitude to have toward the female of the species! [;)]

OTOH, the good Lord did say, "Go forth and multiply..."   [sex]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Red Dawn is the movie I credit with making me the gun-toting survivalist I am today.
I saw it in the theatre when I was 12 and have been scared of Russians ever since. The funniest thing is the best man at my elopement was hired as an extra for that movie (he's one of the parachuting cubans that land in the school yard).
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Red Dawn is the movie I credit with making me the gun-toting survivalist I am today.
I saw it in the theatre when I was 12 and have been scared of Russians ever since.  
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#13]
When the guy shoots towards the tank, after it is blown to bits, from the back of the pickup...he was shooting my first gun. Well, not MY gun, but  the same model. That movie definitely had an influence on my current gun nut status.

Anyone: Does the DVD have much extra stuff?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#14]
They weren't Russian. The ones that launched the ground invasion were from Cuba, Mexico, and Central American Communist countries. The Spetsnaz troops that came in were Russian, but the majority of the troops were hispanic. The USAF Major (Powers Booth) explained how everything happened. I got the movie for Christmas and remembered how much I loved it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad to see I'm not the only one.  She was a real babe in a slightly quirky way but now?  I probably couldn't pick her out of a line-up post nose job.  A slight 'imperfection' really sets off & makes a gal even more attractive..or at least interesting.  Like Madonna's tooth gap or Betti Page's slightly lazy eyelid.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
The movie is a good intro into the "gun culture".  It makes you realize, even though it's in a Hollywood kind of way, that we are ultimately responsible for our own protection when all hell breaks loose.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#17]
That movie is responsible for rule number two of the universe-
"If a large Russian helicopter comes flying in your direction,DO NOT get on your horse and try to outrun it."
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#18]
It's definately a feel-good movie.  I throw it in the VCR whenever I'm reloading.

They're the Americanized version of the mujhadeen and VC rolled into one!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess Rambo forgot that rule in Rambo III..lol. And of course AQ is probably forgetting that also IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad to see I'm not the only one.  She was a real babe in a slightly quirky way but now?  I probably couldn't pick her out of a line-up post nose job.  A slight 'imperfection' really sets off & makes a gal even more attractive..or at least interesting.  Like Madonna's tooth gap or Betti Page's slightly lazy eyelid.
View Quote

If I remember correctly, the "nose job" happend in the front seat of a car that crashed somewhere in Europe.  She's still hot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Why rent for 4 buck then buy it for 9-10 later

Pony up and buy it...
It rocks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#23]
"All that hate is gonna burn you up kid."
"Keeps me warm."
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted: Re Ms Grey's nose:
View Quote

If I remember correctly, the "nose job" happend in the front seat of a car that crashed somewhere in Europe.  She's still hot.
View Quote

If that's the case then that changes my opinion quite a bit.  I just thought she had it "fixed" to look like all the other Hollyweird starlets.  Corrective surgery is entirely different than elective cosmetic surgery.  A 'boob job' to rebuild after a masectomy is ok in my book, 'frankentits' just because?...[:|]

On subject:  Red Dawn is on my 'to buy list' of DVDs
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#26]
$10 at Wally-Mart.  Can't pass that up!
I picked it up last month and have watched it about 3 times since then.  Gets me pumped up!
Well, that and the three hits of Crystal Meth.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It is very Pro-gun.  They even take swipes at 4473's and registries.  It is interesting that Charlie Sheen, Patrick Swayze, Jennifer Grey and Lea Thompson are in it.  I wonder if their politics are as screwed up as most of Hollywood's?
View Quote

I don't know about the rest of the actors, but I watched the Biography on Charlie Sheen and they listed one of his hobbies as gun collecting. I almost had a heart attack.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"All that hate is gonna burn you up kid."
"Keeps me warm."
View Quote

I love that exchange too! The way the kid answers the Air Force pilot is priceless!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#29]
"We're all going to die, die standing up."
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#30]
my favorite Charlie Sheen quote:

"I don't pay women to sex with me, I pay women to have sex with me and leave."
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#31]
If you can get the DVD for under 10 bucks, buy it, otherwise it is not worth the money..IMHO
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Some good quotes and triiva about the film here:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/dvd/0792838041/quotes-trivia/ref=pm_dp_ln_d_6/103-1606424-9133403[/url]

Trivia about Red Dawn:

The original trailer that comes on the laserdisc shows a scene with a tank rolling up to a McDonald's restaurant where enemy soldiers are eating. This scene does not appear in the final cut, and may have been removed due to a mass murder at a San Ysidro, CA McDonald's just weeks prior to the film's opening.

The radio announces: "John has a long mustache", the same message the French resistance gets in Longest Day, The (1962).

The movie being shown to American prisoners at the Russian camp near Calumet is Aleksandr Nevsky (1938).

This film was entered into the Guinness Book of Records as having the most acts of violence of any film up to that time.

[b]The cast underwent a "realistic", intensive 8 week military training course before starting work on Red Dawn.[/b] [sniper2]

The movies replica Russian T-72 tank was such a precise replica that when it was transported to the studio, two CIA agents followed and wanted to know where it had come from.

The plot for the movie, a Russian invasion from Mexico, etc., was based on CIA and War College studies of US weaknesses at the time.

Red Dawn was the first motion picture released with the PG-13 rating, which had been created after difficulty rating some movies in 1984, most notably Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) (Flamingo Kid, The (1984) was the first film to be *given* a PG-13 rating, but sat on the shelves for five months before being released).

[url]deepdiscountdvd.com[/url] seems to have the lowest on-line price of $9.36 so the Wally-World option is a good one.  [url]http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MGD906998[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That movie is responsible for rule number two of the universe-
"If a large [strike]Russian[/strike] U.S.  helicopter comes flying in your direction, DO NOT get on your horse and try to outrun it." [blue]Stand and Die! [i]a publice service announcement for our current antagonists[/i][/blue]
View Quote

The Wally World version appears to be the same as what was in theaters.

This movie raised hope that [u]Lea Thompson[/u] might have brains... All fantasies dies hard, but the fact was proven beyond doubt when she did [u]Howard the Duck[/u]. [i](Though she never [u]looked[/u] better!)[/i]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Red Dawn was the first motion picture released with the PG-13 rating,
View Quote

I remember that only because I was 12 and it was PG13 and boy did I get away with that, haha, fooled those guys...
This topic comes up a lot here, and the last time I remember somebody saying that the Colt Patrick Swayze uses is actually an heirloom from John Milius' Grandfather(?) and has been used in other movies he directed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#36]
hey ... whats wrong with howard the duck..?

any animal that has it own version of playboy is OK in my book :)

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quotes to the best of my memory...

"The radiator is out of water, what do we do...  piss in it kid."

"This is against the Geneva Convention... Never heard of it."

"Take up flanking positions, lay down grazing fire...  flanking? ya whats grazing fire?"  
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
hey ... whats wrong with howard the duck..?

any animal that has it own version of playboy is OK in my book :)
View Quote

Granted - True. - But I still say its a movie only Demiquacks could love.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Every battle episode in that film is a recreation of an actual event---with one difference. Milius tokk real exploits of the Russian partisans against the Germans in WW2, and changed the setting.  Always thought the film should have been shown in Moscow, where the partisan fighters are still revered, as a message to the Soviets that "what you did to them, we can do to you".

As it turned out, of course, the Soviets collapsed on their own.  Just as well, that it worked out that way.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I spend my summers in Las Vegas, New Mexico. This is the town where most of the movie was filmed. The High School is actually a middle school. The welcome to Calumet sign is still on the building it was painted on, though it is fading somewhat. Some of the movie was filmed in Taos, but the rail road station, drive in, buildings etc. are Las Vegas, NM. The Drive In is still open. The guy spitting at the drive in scene is my friends father, a WWII vet. I went to college there and have friends who were there when it was filmed. I saw it for the first time in Leesvilla, LA. (Fort Polk). John
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I never got to see it in the theatre. Parents got the jitters over the PG-13 rating and squashed any hope of seeing it.

When I first saw it from a rental (1985), damn, was I impressed!

This just played into my adolescent fantasies of the Russians invading and my having to stop them.

Some of the stuff in the movie is kinda hokie, though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you can get the DVD for under 10 bucks, buy it, otherwise it is not worth the money..IMHO
View Quote

Agree. In general I thought it was a silly movie.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I was 14 or 15 when I saw it, and I guess that's why I'm attached to it.  There's also a bunch of other brat pack films I find myself watching every time they are on.  Every time "Some kind of wonderful" is on, I end up watching the rest.  I still have a crush on Mary Stuart Masterson and Leah Thompson.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I had this on tape (taped off TV) and literally watched it at least once a week for several years when I was around 12-13 or so.  It is one of my favorite movies of all time.  I saw it recently at Best Buy for $9.99 on DVD and of course had to have it.  I still watch it like once every few months.  And it's still great.  I also believe it is definitely one of the movies to get me into the gun stuff, although obviously part of the reason I liked it was because I already liked guns and stuff.  But you get the point.  

The DVD really doesn't have anything special on it at all.  No special scenes, no nothing.  Oh well, one of the few times I don't mind that too much, although I would definitely love to have Red Dawn tidbits.

I wish I could have seen it in the theater when it was new.  Feel like I missed out on something...

Lots of cool resistance stuff in the movie.  And the end where Lea Thompson is reading the memorial brings a tear to my eye to this day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#46]
"The chair is against the wall"
"The chair is against the wall"

My favorite scence from this movie is where they show a automobile license plate frame that says "They have to take my gun out of my cold dead hand." In the next scene shows someone taking a gun from a dead resistance fighter.

The audio CD soundtrack is now out of print.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#47]
"What's the difference, Jeb?...What's the difference between them and us?"    

"The difference is.....WE LIVE HERE..*BANG*!!!"

I still love that line.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#48]
[b]My favorite scence from this movie is where they show a automobile license plate frame that says "They have to take my gun out of my cold dead hand." In the next scene shows someone taking a gun from a dead resistance fighter.
[/b]
View Quote

That is where I got the insiration to do this photo years later.
[url]http://users.xpressamerica.net/~bishop/images/yours.jpg[/url]
You ALL have seen it.  I'm the one who made it.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw this in the theater as well.

Worth $10.00 IMO.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Post from BISHOP -
That is where I got the insiration to do this photo years later.
[url]http://users.xpressamerica.net/~bishop/images/yours.jpg[/url]
You ALL have seen it.  I'm the one who made it.

BISHOP
View Quote

Neat!

Yes, I think we have ALL seen it! I never knew that it was yours!

It's a CLASSIC!

Eric The(SeriouslyImpressed)Hun[>]:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top