Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 6/28/2014 8:27:46 AM EDT
Going through some boxes of old gun rags from the late 80s and early 90s I saw articles about some of these guns.

FN Forty-Nine

Star Model 28

Star Ultrastar

Browning BDA

Walther P88

Steyr GB

Colt Double Eagle

Browning BDM

Colt 2000

Colt Pocket 9

Smith & Wesson Sigma .380

Anyone remember any other handguns that didn't sell well?

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Star had some great pistols
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt Double Eagle is fugly
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Had a Double Eagle.   Traded it very quickly.   Horrible trigget
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So was S&W's "Smagma". Lol
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Beretta 92
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Going through some boxes of old gun rags from the late 80s and early 90s I saw articles about some of these guns.

Smith & Wesson Sigma .380
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/1700/9153981/acfece6.jpg

Anyone remember any other handguns that didn't sell well?  
View Quote
Supposedly, S&W wants those back in the world's worst manner due to the slide coming back at the shooter at speed. Interwebz rumor is that they will gladly exchange that for another pistol of choice just to get them into the shredder.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The era of weird, crap triggers. (DAO is the future!)
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]
For some reason, I always wanted a Steyr GB. I knew a couple people with Stars back then and they always seemed like quality guns.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I had that Sigma .380 POS.

Needed a hammer and punch to "field strip" for cleaning. Replaced it with a Glock 26 which came out a ferw months after i bought the Sigma .380
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I had a Walther P-88, it was OK, creepy trigger though.

View Quote
That is one of those guns that I want, and I can't even tell you why.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember the P5?

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#13]
My Dad carried a P-88 on duty from the time they released the gun until he as chief switched the department over to Beretta 96's. I still have the gun and shoot it every now and then, it's not bad there just isn't any aftermarket support for it. He carried the gun in a holster meant for a Sig 226.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Tec-9,  if you can call it a pistol.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had that Sigma .380 POS.

Needed a hammer and punch to "field strip" for cleaning. Replaced it with a Glock 26 which came out a ferw months after i bought the Sigma .380
View Quote

A friend of mine had one of those and we loved shooting it.  That little fucker was like a laser.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#16]
That FN Forty-Nine looks alot like the FNS
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Anything chambered in .41 Action Express.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#18]

The Bren Ten.  Still on my list to get.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Bren Ten
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would love to get a FNS and a Forty-Nine and strip them. See if in fact the FNS is an updated Forty-Nine.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

For some reason, I always wanted a Steyr GB. I knew a couple people with Stars back then and they always seemed like quality guns.
View Quote

We bought out an estate an among the items was 5 Steyr GB magazines. Sold them one at a time on Gunbroker, average price was $175 EACH. Made some damn good money on that deal, apparently the mags are rare.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#22]
The Browning BDA name was later reused on a different pistol, which was imported to the US for a short time under the Browning name before becoming much more popular in its real identity.... as the SIG 220.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#23]
The Styer GB is a really good pistol with an interesting gas delayed blowback mechanism.

GB stands for Gas Brake (or whatever it is in Austrian)

The barrel is fixed and there is a gas port in the barrel that vents into the slide and dust cover area.

The pressure helps keep the slide forward until the bullet is out of the barrel.

Styer had a legal dust-up with Rogak that made a poorly functioning knock-off that damaged Styer's reputation.

Rogaks were produced in Morton Grove IL, a pussy liberal town that was famous for it's handgun ban.

If you want a Styer GB, get a couple mags with it, they're as rare as hens teeth and if you think panic prices on mags were high......
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#24]
That Walthers has always been popular with Neo Nazis
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had multiple Walther P88's. I love them. And having said that, shit, I want another!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#26]
My favorite pistol fad from the late 80s / early 90s were all the "reverse two tone" pistols.

Today we think of a two tone pistol as a stainless slide on a black (usually polymer) lower. Back then it was a black / blued slide on a stainless lower.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

We bought out an estate an among the items was 5 Steyr GB magazines. Sold them one at a time on Gunbroker, average price was $175 EACH. Made some damn good money on that deal, apparently the mags are rare.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my second GB because the pistol came with three magazines.

At the time, GB mags were $150 apiece.  The seller wanted $500 for a GB with 3 mags.

Best $50 pistol ever!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#28]
These were great.

Deawoo dp51

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My favorite pistol fad from the late 80s / early 90s were all the "reverse two tone" pistols.

Today we think of a two tone pistol as a stainless slide on a black (usually polymer) lower. Back then it was a black / blued slide on a stainless lower.
View Quote
That's why I own this....

What I want next

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, I hadn't thought about that cartridge in a long time. The .32 H&R magnum was another orphan cartridge of that time period.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Speaking of Steyr pistols, the M series never rally seemed to take off.

I've only gotten a little trigger time with one, but it was pretty decent.  I liked the unique sights, and recoil was pretty soft.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Remember the P5?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember the P5?

Oh, yeah. Another that I'd pick up if I had the chance, for no other reason than "to have."

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Needs moar H&K VP70Z -

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Wow, I hadn't thought about that cartridge in a long time. The .32 H&R magnum was another orphan cartridge of that time period.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget .356 TSW

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those were the original two tone. I still think of the stainless slide, black frame as a reverse two tone.

Back then, the idea was that you used a stainless grip frame to minimize corrosion due to sweaty hands and a dark slide to minimize glare along the sight radius. It was also bitchin to have a two tone gun because it was unique. Remember, most of those used traditional bluing which didn't hold up like modern coatings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Needs moar H&K VP70Z -

http://i57.tinypic.com/1fgv45.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kimbers main page for it's 1911s, how many pictures of two tone pistols are there?
And as the other poster mentioned, stainless slide on black lower is reverse two tone.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#38]
S&W also made the .380acp Sigma blowback gun in 9mm. I remember only seeing one or two of them before S&W dropped them like a hot rock.

There was also the S&W SW45. And whatever model they made in the .357TSW caliber.

And what was the model S&W made that was supposed to be their version of the Sig P-210? They filled in the safety holes in the slide with some sort of plugs. A $1000 gun (back then, big money) & they were too GD cheap to use slides specifically for this gun.  

I actually sold a Colt 2000 to a handicapped guy in a wheelchair. He had CP (I think) & was limited in his hand dexterity.

There was also the Walther P5, which ejected the case to the left of the slide instead of the more normal right side.

And let's not forget the S&W M-76, a Sten-like design.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about the .327mag? Federal made the ammo, IIRC?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would love to get a FNS and a Forty-Nine and strip them. See if in fact the FNS is an updated Forty-Nine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it looked eerily similar to the M&P. It would be interesting to see one taken down if someone has one or can find a pic.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Needs moar H&K VP70Z -

http://i57.tinypic.com/1fgv45.jpg
View Quote

I dry fired one of these once. SOB had something like a 15lb trigger pull!  
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#42]
My grandfather had a Browing BDM for his CCW on bank-deposit days.

I asked my Grandma for it when he passed 6 years ago, but she didn't think I was ready for guns. In the mean time I joined the military and worked in testing at 2 separate firearms companies.

She gave it to my Aunt right before her husband went off the reservation and now wishes I had gotten it. So far my Aunt has waffled on selling it to me depending on her mood.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of the things I like about Grand Raptors. They aren't old but I like the color combo.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
I own a GB and a Star 28.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least with the .32 H&R, you could shoot .32 S&W Long or even .32 Auto in a pinch.
I had a Ruger Single Six in that caliber, one of the few guns I regret selling...
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've had multiple Walther P88's. I love them. And having said that, shit, I want another!
View Quote

Jeebus. Post right above yours.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Those were the original two tone. I still think of the stainless slide, black frame as a reverse two tone.

Back then, the idea was that you used a stainless grip frame to minimize corrosion due to sweaty hands and a dark slide to minimize glare along the sight radius. It was also bitchin to have a two tone gun because it was unique. Remember, most of those used traditional bluing which didn't hold up like modern coatings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate the modern two tone; it seems like the manufacturer simply got lazy and didn't blue the slide. The original two tone was much better. I'm thinking of doing my 4506-1 in a proper two tone along with doing a faux two tone on my Rock Island 1911. Cerakote the frame in a silver finish.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top