Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 6:31:02 AM EDT
Okay maybe its a stupid topic, But I'm just wondering your guys opinions or facts or whatever.. Recently i was drinking coke out of one of those cute little 8 oz bottles you get for christmas.. well as i finished the coke off (drinking the last few drops) I noticed something on the inside of the glass that looked like a peice of broken glass, upon further inspection i notice there are a few (more than 4) broken shards of glass at the bottom of this bottle i had just finished off..
I was a little worried at the time, not knowing if i swallowed any of the glass or if it would hurt me at all.. but this was 4 or 5 days ago and i'm still here and feel okay :) but i still have this bottle in my kitchen becuase i am pretty damn upset that this happened.. I have checked the bottle, i did NOT break any of the lip on the top while opening it, as a matter of fact i cant seem to see any places inside or out where the bottle is missing a few peices.. my only thoughts are that maybe a bottle broke at the bottling plant and someone its peices jumped into a few other bottles..
   Now even tho i am not injured, is there still some kind of legal recourse i can take here? I mean thats a pretty dangerous thing to have happen (or is it?)...I've drank from these glass bottles over the years during christmas time and never noticed anything like this before..  What are your guyses thoughts on this?

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Typicaly there has to be damage done to have a case. Since you apparently have suffered no physical damage your only hope would be to claim emotional damage. Do you want to go there?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Not much you can do unless you are injured. The best thing to do would be to see a Dr. and have it documented. There is a good chance that Coca-cola would even reimburse you for the expense.

Post a question at [url]www.prairielaw.com/messageboards/list.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
No harm--no foul.  Quit yer whinin' and switch to RC.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
It's 2003. Try a [b]PLASTIC[/b] bottle. Safety was one of the reasons the industry changed over. I didn't even know you could get glass bottles anymore.....

Scott

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry,

I think people like you should be disemboweled in public and then have their testicles dipped in a nest of fire ants.

Trial lawyers, and the fear of trial-lawyer lawsuits are the NUMBER ONE reason behind most of the most dangerous laws in America. People who sue over INNOCUOUS happenings are partly to blame and you sound like one of them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
[rolleyes] by all means, go for the gold. i mean, look at all of the loss you've suffered because of coke's negligence.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Owwwwwwwwww, I (sniff) just bought a coffee at (whimper) McDonalds and (sniff, sniff, whine) I spilled some and it (gasp, gag, whine, sniff, whine) HURTS[>(]

Well, no, I didn't really BURN myself, but (sniff) I still want (whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, sniff) SOMEONE to pay (cough, spit, gag, whine, gasp,whine, sniff)

STFU and fix your makeup girly guy.[:(!]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It'd be a hard sell to a jury that they should award you damages for non existant injuries.  You've basically got a snowball's chance in hell.

However, you should call up coke and demand action from them.  They might just send you a case of coke, which is worth more than a couple years of a losing lawsuit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Write or call Coke so they can see if there is a problem. Writing is better because it will get filed and if some kid drinks some glass and gets hurt their lawyer can 'discover' your letter and have proof that Coke should pay for hurting her.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#11]
About two months ago I opened a can of Coke and drank it - and then realized I had swallowed something that definitely wasn't Coke.  A very nasty, chemical taste was in the soda.

When it poured it into a glass, it foamed and bubbled like there was cleaning detergent in it.  I called Coke (and emailed them) and the called me back the next day to get the details and the product number.  My concern of course was that I had no drunk something poisionous - and they assured me that everything on the line (even the lubricants on the machinery) are non-poisionous - and they think it might have been some lubricant.  Coke cans these days can be tracked to the MINUTE they left the line, and the other cans I had from the same minute were fine.   Go figure [:)]

Anyway - after they assured me I wasn't going to die or get cancer, they sent me 10 coupons for free 12-packs of soda.  If you write to them or call, I'm sure they'll be nice.

I agree that since there was no actual harm, you cannot really complain or sue or be really indignant, per se.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh....
in most states you have to be in the 'zone of danger' to collect (unless it's for a mom or wife seeing her husband or kid get hurt or something)
Thus, the glass would have to have been in a position to injure you and the bottom of the bottle would most likely not be enough.

The standard law school case is a OB/GYN with AIDS and AIDS blisters on his hands with fluid leaking. The woman he had his hands inside could not collect because she had no evidence that the fluid was getting though his gloves to touch her.

(usual legal crap--not your lawyer--check with one in your state)
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
well, you'd have to testify in court that you are a sissy, so, if you are ok with that [whacko]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry,

[red][size=3]I think people like you should be disemboweled in public and then have their testicles dipped in a nest of fire ants.

Trial lawyers, and the fear of trial-lawyer lawsuits are the NUMBER ONE reason behind most of the most dangerous laws in America. People who sue over INNOCUOUS happenings are partly to blame and you sound like one of them.[/red][/size=3]
View Quote
Ditto.

The attitude of "I'll sue and get rich!" just [size=3][b]PISSES ME OFF![/b][/size=3]

How about advising people not to drink from glass bottles?  How about avoiding drinking from them yourself in the future?

Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick, WHEN DID THIS COUNTRY LOSE ITS SPINE AND BRAIN?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#16]
WTF Man !  Next you will say them guns have bullets in them !! Should I call a Lawyer... FU  puss nuts !!!  [:(!]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
WTF Man !  Next you will say them guns have bullets in them !! Should I call a Lawyer... FU  puss nuts !!!  [:(!]
View Quote

Gee i didnt know my coke SHOULD have glass in it.. idiot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sorry,

I think people like you should be disemboweled in public and then have their testicles dipped in a nest of fire ants.

Trial lawyers, and the fear of trial-lawyer lawsuits are the NUMBER ONE reason behind most of the most dangerous laws in America. People who sue over INNOCUOUS happenings are partly to blame and you sound like one of them.
View Quote

You need help.. get counseling.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Owwwwwwwwww, I (sniff) just bought a coffee at (whimper) McDonalds and (sniff, sniff, whine) I spilled some and it (gasp, gag, whine, sniff, whine) HURTS[>(]

Well, no, I didn't really BURN myself, but (sniff) I still want (whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, sniff) SOMEONE to pay (cough, spit, gag, whine, gasp,whine, sniff)

STFU and fix your makeup girly guy.[:(!]
View Quote

and here's your 'Fuck you' . with a smiley :)
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry,

[red][size=3]I think people like you should be disemboweled in public and then have their testicles dipped in a nest of fire ants.

Trial lawyers, and the fear of trial-lawyer lawsuits are the NUMBER ONE reason behind most of the most dangerous laws in America. People who sue over INNOCUOUS happenings are partly to blame and you sound like one of them.[/red][/size=3]
View Quote
Ditto.

The attitude of "I'll sue and get rich!" just [size=3][b]PISSES ME OFF![/b][/size=3]

How about advising people not to drink from glass bottles?  How about avoiding drinking from them yourself in the future?

Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick, WHEN DID THIS COUNTRY LOSE ITS SPINE AND BRAIN?
View Quote

and last but not least.. seek help for your anger.. Anger management goes a long way to help make our country a little better since you brought up the topic. asshole.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
For the rest of you who actually replied to my post without feeling to need to get strangely upset about something you simply read on the internet, thank you. I will take your advice and simply contact coke about the issue.. I asked a simple question and you guys gave me a simple answer without over re-acting unlike a few others on here..
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Go play at this site   http://www.democraticunderground.com/  you fit in better !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top