Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2003 8:24:23 PM EDT
TAG: The Assassination Game
Have any of you people ever played this game? It's not a video game, it's actually a game played in real life. Probably works best on a college campus. Here's the basics of it:

Get a group of friends together for a meeting, and have each of them create a small folder containing their name, a picture, and at least 9 hours of their schedule. The game administrator will distribute the folders randomly among the friends, so everybody has one folder.

Each player is both an assassin, and a target. Inside the folder, is your target. Your job is to hunt down and assassinate the target with a toy pistol (usually a water gun or dart gun). Game starts at 6:00 a.m. the day after the meeting, and continues 24 hours a day. When you assassinate your target, you take their folder, they sign yours, and you begin your hunt for their target, and so on. If an assassin comes after you, and you tag him, he has to wait at least an hour away from you before attempting another assassination.

These are the basic rules. There are usually other rules, such as no assassination attempts while in the middle of class, and safezones (designated by the game administrator)

I was told about this game by a guy I work with who's in his late 30's and he said this was the best game to play in college. His rules included the very interesting "No assassination attempts while witnesses are around", meaning if anyone who is not in the game is around, your assassination attempt does not count. You are an assassin after all. Try to be stealthy about it.

I just bought a few of
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3106602149&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6]these[/url] guns, cause they were the original guns used in the first TAG game, and they're not easily confused for a real gun, cause you're going to be carrying it around with you everywhere.

Anyways, I thought this sounded like a cool game for bored college students to play, but it's probably workable for other people too. You can find all sorts of different rule sets for TAG on google, just do a search for "TAG ASSASSINATION GAME RULES" and you'll pull up a few colleges and their rules for the game.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, in college. I would have done much better if my roomate hadn't let the girl tracking me into my room.  I was shot in the back sitting at my desk.  I did get to hit a guy. He tried to run but made it about three paces before I shot him in the back. Poor bastard had just finished a test.  The girl did make an attempt prior to getting me I dropped her and ran to a friend's to lay low.  It was fun but I don't think you could do something like this  on a college campus now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Would there really be that much of a problem with the blaze-orange toy disk guns?  There's also that "No-witness" rule I like to play by as well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
theres even a offcial rule book

"Killer" its printed by Steve Jackson Games.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Oooh, it's anthony edwards all over again!

[url=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0089222]Gotcha![/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Still being played today at Northern Illinois University!

Av.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
This game is still around? I haven't played it in 15 yrs!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I played it in college. It was a fund-raising scheme for the big year end party, so about 100 people paid $10 to enter.  It was pretty fun until the last two players left were these prissy girls who met and outlined their own little rules about when and where they were playing the game (aside from the standard rules of not being able to kill someone when they're at work or in class).  It took 2 weeks before they finally got around to ending the game.

I went to my target's suite (sort of like a mini apartment dorm shared with three other students) but he wasn't there.  Asked a couple of his coworkers where he was, he had gone skiing for the day.  So I got a half rack of beer, some books assigned for reading, and sat on his couch for about 5 or 6 hours reading and getting loaded.  Fuck if the minute he returned, my disc gun wasn't at hand (left it in the bathroom the last time I took a piss).  He had a rubber knife and stabbed me before I could get my disc gun from the bathroom.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I started my college group in 1984.  Several rounds ran throughout the year.  Lotsa fun.  We declared dorm rooms off limits, because it made the game too easy.  I was once lured out in the hall by a hot chick I was after and my buddy capped me in the back of the head.  Figures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top