Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 6:45:25 PM EDT
I have Win. 98 on both the laptop and home systems.  Both are early Pentiums (266 and 333 respectively) but have approx 100megs of RAM.  

When I hit "Ctrl-Alt-Del", there are a huge # of programs listed.  I'm sure this is where the slowdown comes from on my systems.  

What programs have to stay running (both are Win 98 Systems)?

How to prevent the others from loading at startup?

Thanks!!

AFARR

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Technically only two things have to run: explorer and systray.  There are others that probably should run though.  Whenever I am not sure about a program I write down the file name and do a search on my HD to see what folder it is in because that then gives me an idea of what the program is.  Or I do a search on the net to see if I can get an idea of what the program is doing and wether or not I want it to run.  Once you figure out which ones you want you can go to Run and type msconfig.  This will bring up a screen with several tabs and options.  I think if you go to the advanced tab there is a list of startup items which lists everything that loads.  You can then select the items that you do not want to start.  Try this first and if everything works well with the reduced startup items then you may want to think about going to the control panel and uninstalling the programs.  This is what I do when I have to debug somebody elses machine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Start/Run/msconfig is the easiest and most efficient method for controlling the stuff that is loadin on startup.  You will find entries here from the Startup Group, the Registry, and the Win.ini and System.ini files (holdovers for Win3x software compatibility).

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
start/run

then type msconfig
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a site that lists [url=www.c-ray.net/starters.htm]startup executables[/url] with explanations and if they're required or not.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Very good info for those of us without a techno-clue.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top