Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2003 1:25:08 PM EDT
I got some of this [url]www.garywest.com[/url] through Cabelas recently, and, although expensive, it was a lot better than that crap they peddle in the stores.  Who makes the best tastin' jerky or "tenders" that you've had?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I do.

Beef jerky is easy and inexpensive to make if you have a food dryer.  I got one for $5 at a garage sale.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I do.

Beef jerky is easy and inexpensive to make if you have a food dryer.  I got one for $5 at a garage sale.
View Quote

What type of beef are you using?  When I've done it in the past, mine's been tough.  Haven't made it in quite a while though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got some of this [url]www.garywest.com[/url] through Cabelas recently, and, although expensive, it was a lot better than that crap they peddle in the stores.  Who makes the best tastin' jerky or "tenders" that you've had?
View Quote

I sure hope this stuff is great...it just cost me 31.00!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
My own Jerky is good. My mother for years has made the best Ive ever tasted.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...What type of beef are you using?...
View Quote

My favorite is fresh, fully trimmed eye of round.  I usually buy it at an Asian grocery store (99 Ranch Market in San Diego).  It's very lean and tender.

London broil works well too.

Whatever you use, cut perpendicular to the grain and keep the slices thin and uniform as possible.  I cut it to about 3/32" - 1/8".
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you guys use for a marinade? I have a dehydrator and it works great, but it always ends up tasting funny. I figure it is the marinade.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of soy sauce, some fresh lime juice, garlic powder, New Mexico chili or cayenne pepper, black pepper, some vinegar or a slug of gin or bourbon, whatever you feel like.  Commercial or your homemade teriyaki sauce works fine if you're lazy.

[50]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Homemade jerky is the best.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
i use the cheapest meat i can find. Your just going to dry it out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
You might try special trim or beef trimming as it is sometimes called.nice and tender if prepared properly.

BTW I think Obertos is the best but being from the NW I am a little biased.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I do---only it's venison. Problem is, someone else always seems to eat it all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
This is good:

[url]http://www.smokedmeats.com[/url]

I haven't tried everyone's homemade jerky yet so I can't say the link is THE best.

edited to make the link work
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is good:

[url]http://www.smokedmeats.com[/url]

View Quote

Yes, that is a great place.  Anyone who drives through Bishop MUST go to Mahogany Smoked Meats.  Get the smoked ham shanks, the bacon, the...

ARGH I'm getting hungry.  Must go eat carnitas at my favorite cheap Tex-Mex place.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do.

View Quote

You, sir,are incorrect.  Plain and simple.
It couldn't possibly be as good as mine!
I could give out the recepie, but I'd have to kill everyone that reads this thread [;)]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had ostrich jerky at the Syracuse show a few years ago, not bad
View Quote

Ostrich jerky is PEOPLE!

[img]www.ggw.org/winebrats/images/green.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Crocket Creek jerky, made in Maryville TN, is damn good stuff.  Lucky for me I live right down the road from their factory outlet :)

CK - I never knew you made jerky - I should have bummed some off you when I visited! :)
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Other than the local locker, I prefer WILD BILL'S jerky, especially the meat sticks, for something that you can buy off the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Ostrich jerky is PEOPLE!
View Quote

ROFLMFAO!

OK, in the interest of maintaining peace on the board everyone should send me a generous sample of your jerky and I will tabulate the results and determine who really makes the best jerky.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright, so we can pretty much all agree here that for the BEST jerky, turn to your own creativity and time. However, if one must buy it commercially, I highly recommend these guys:

[url]http://www.dublinstore.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I am a "from scratch" type of guy, but I was givin a couple of boxes of Hi Mountain Jerky cure and seasoning and it rocked.

If this doesn't make a link could someone do that for me....I'm computer illiterate.

http://www.himtnjerky.com/

BTW I like to use venison mainly, but any meat with minimal fat works great...but it all depends on how "jerky" you want your jerky.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#23]
[url]www.himtnjerky.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I sure hope this stuff is great...it just cost me 31.00!
View Quote

It's only money![:D]
Actually for commercially made stuff, this was very good.  I bought some for Christmas gifts and once I opened the first bag, I had to keep most for myself.[:)]  Only gave away one bag.

I guess if you want to save money, about the only way is to do it yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top