Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2003 8:22:09 AM EDT
I just finished reading Vin Suprynowicz's book "Send in the Waco Killers". It's a damn depressing book that mostly reinforced my belief that the chances of this country going back to a mostly free republic are slim to none.

The section I found most interesting was the one on jury selection (stacking), along with the appendix in which he discusses the chances of a randomly selected jury of 12 convicting someone of a crime given a particular split in public opinion about the law that was broken. Juries are mostly told that they are not allowed to judge laws, only the facts of a case. They're also stacked by judges and lawyers wanting to maximize the likelihood of the trial ending the way they want it to end.

If juries were really randomly selected, and
if all people knew of and would exercise their right to refuse to convict violations of a law that they despise (regardless of the facts of the case), than all it would take is 5.6% of the population opposed to, say for example the income tax, to make unanimous convictions by a random jury only 50% likely. Change the percentage of oppossers to 17.5% and the chances of getting a randomly selected jury to convict drops to only 10%.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you think? Lots of aggravating stories.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Good book, but keep your blood pressure meds handy. I read it a couple of years back. Yup, I'm of the firm opinion things will have to get much worse in this country before people are willing to say "ENOUGH!" If ever.

Vin has a regular column in Shotgun News, and has a new book out, "The Ballad of Carl Drega," which I haven't read yet.

Another author with similar viewpoints is Claire Wolfe. She used to be on Worldnet Daily, and currently has a column in Backwoodshome magazine. Good stuff, but it only shows us how far we've fallen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered his second book. I imagine I'll have to watch out for blood pressure induced heart attacks while reading that one as well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you read Unintended Consequences?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have you read Unintended Consequences?
View Quote

Sorry, no time to discuss, have to go....time to feed the hogs....
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
That jury selection thing was bad but what about the guy sent to jail for making plastic containers?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I get to go face-to-face with Danny Defenbaugh on Saturday.  The local Republican Men's Club got persuaded by our local Sheriff to invite Defenbaugh to speak at their monthly breakfast meeting.  Some of us are not happy.  I have support from two guys that are both local elected office holders.  We're gonna do some kind of protest.  Defenbaugh ain't gonna walk away smiling.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just finished reading Vin Suprynowicz's book "Send in the Waco Killers". It's a damn depressing book that mostly reinforced my belief that the chances of this country going back to a mostly free republic are slim to none.

The section I found most interesting was the one on jury selection (stacking), along with the appendix in which he discusses the chances of a randomly selected jury of 12 convicting someone of a crime given a particular split in public opinion about the law that was broken. [red]Juries are mostly told that they are not allowed to judge laws, only the facts of a case.[/red] They're also stacked by judges and lawyers wanting to maximize the likelihood of the trial ending the way they want it to end.

if all people knew of and would exercise their right to refuse to convict violations of a law that they despise (regardless of the facts of the case), than all it would take is 5.6% of the population opposed to, say for example the income tax, to make unanimous convictions by a random jury only 50% likely. Change the percentage of oppossers to 17.5% and the chances of getting a randomly selected jury to convict drops to only 10%.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you think? Lots of aggravating stories.
View Quote

Now you know why the govt and unions control the education system......
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The section I found most interesting was the one on jury selection (stacking), along with the appendix in which he discusses the chances of a randomly selected jury of 12 convicting someone of a crime given a particular split in public opinion about the law that was broken. [red]Juries are mostly told that they are not allowed to judge laws, only the facts of a case.[/red] They're also stacked by judges and lawyers wanting to maximize the likelihood of the trial ending the way they want it to end.

View Quote

Now you know why the govt and unions control the education system......
View Quote

Yup. It'd be hard to keep this mess going if juries were working as intended. Thank you TV and gov. schools. Good thing we still have guns.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Arock, keep us posted. Kind of curious in what he would have to say. Let us know what happens... fullclip  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top