Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2003 9:26:32 PM EDT
Ok I dont have my last job doing weld inspectin anymore. I mainly had intercompany training. Im 20 and I got money saved up and no bills.

I need advice on a good career and where to start.

Any suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to School, get a degree and then get a teaching credential.

Pay is low, but the work is steady.

Or become a Fireman or Policeman.

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]
you said police, thought has crossed my mind before, what would you suggest local dept of something diffrent
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I know some people are turned off by the suggestion and that's fine, but this has worked for me and given my a fun, varied, and fulfilling life so far: What do you suppose God wants you to be doing?  Do you have any special abilities or talents that you can use to make a living, contribute to society, and have fun?

I believe that there are certain things we are called to do, and that happiness is most reliably achieved by figuring out what that is and pursuing it with all your heart.  If you really don't feel any kind of special calling, then use your youth and initiative to experiment.  At 20 years old, you already have one gift right now, that gift is time.  Time to look for opportunities that you think may interest you and that you may be talented at, and time to try as many as you can.  Apply the highest principles and standards to yourself as you can in all things, stay focused on figuring it out, and you will always succeed in whatever you try.  

Again, I try to listen to the Lord and heed His call, somedays I am much more successful than others!  If you are one who believes in God, He can and will help you in finding your niche.

Good luck!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
@0 yo is young, you have time on your side....but not as much as you think!

Ask yourself this:
What do I like to do?  
DO I like working with people?
What did I like about my last job?
What did I not like about my last job?

Basically, get and idea of what it is that you really want to do based on you likes , dislikes, beliefs, and individuality.

[b]BUT BY ALL MEANS GO TO SCHOOL!![/b]

College grads with [i]any[/i] degrees normally earn 40-60% more than those that did not! Think hard about that!!  It takes 2 years to get the bullshit classes out of the way so you have time to figure out what you want to do.  And there are a lot of good communitittee college that are relatively cheap.  Plus the are plenty of grants and scholorships that just about anyone can get.

Whatever you do, education will be the key.  And smart people rarely hurt their backs on the job.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey sgtar15!

Someone tried to set you up with a KleZ virus sent in your name.  The real sender was someone else but it had your name as the sender.  The actual headers showed it was sent by someone else.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the advice people
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Go Navy, be a Nuke, get your degree before getting out, make $. While you are in, have FUN, make lifelong friends, drink alot of beer,...

Go Marines, play with guns that LOOK like an AR, but have a safety selector that goes "further"... Get a degree, have FUN, make lifelong friends, drink alot of beer,...
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Go into quality!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I know some people are turned off by the suggestion and that's fine, but this has worked for me and given my a fun, varied, and fulfilling life so far: What do you suppose God wants you to be doing?  Do you have any special abilities or talents that you can use to make a living, contribute to society, and have fun?

I believe that there are certain things we are called to do, and that happiness is most reliably achieved by figuring out what that is and pursuing it with all your heart.  If you really don't feel any kind of special calling, then use your youth and initiative to experiment.  At 20 years old, you already have one gift right now, that gift is time.  Time to look for opportunities that you think may interest you and that you may be talented at, and time to try as many as you can.  Apply the highest principles and standards to yourself as you can in all things, stay focused on figuring it out, and you will always succeed in whatever you try.  

Again, I try to listen to the Lord and heed His call, somedays I am much more successful than others!  If you are one who believes in God, He can and will help you in finding your niche.

Good luck!  
View Quote

ditto

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top