Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 9:05:56 PM EDT
We are buying a new to use house and Geico's price for insurance on the new house is expensive as fuck. Who are you using and are you happy with them?

Unfortunately I'm not eligible for USAA.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
USdoubleA

20+ years now and nothing better IMO.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If your a Vet USAA FTW they were half the price of Geico
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask a local realtor or a mortgage banker, then shop around. You might be very surprised at the variance. I just bought a house, and I'm payin $75 a month less than the previous owner for better insurance. It's all pretty much a scam.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
USdoubleA

View Quote

+1

I have only been with them for three years but unfortunately I have had two claims. One was a break in and a few guns that could not fit into the safe was taken. They have a 10k by default for firearms coverage. They were very easy to deal with and covered everything in a low stress manner. The second was an auto claim and it was much the same. No fuss covered everything and had the funds in my account 3 days after the car was totaled a total of 5 days after the wreck itself.

Before we went to USAA I was with MetLife. I changed to them as I got a discount through my work and it was a little cheaper not much but they took it strait out of my check so it was one less bill to rember to pay. However I was with them for less than two monts when I got a letter in the mail saying they canceled my insurance because we had a trampoline.  No chance to say we can get ride of it or the fact that we had the safty netting on it and the entrance was locked to keep any one from getting in etc. just a note your canceld and you have 10 days. And oh it took me 45 days to get the rest of my money from them.

Before that we were with Farmers. When I got my first car in my name in the military they were the only big named company that would cover me as I did have a wreck on my record. It was good coverage and it was not to bad considering I was 18 and single. I had used them from 14 years and had a few claims. They were ok but not great but I had a good relationship with my agent and this went a long ways. He was always looking out for me and trying to find ways to keep our premiums down but they just kept going up.

From my iPhone.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]
USAA...and no.

We have home and auto with them and they rape us on the home hazard insurance.  We had one house claim 6 years ago (broken pipe) and they are still making us pay in spades.  The price of the auto insurance is competitive however.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Electric Insurance

Great service, great price... Very happy with them.  They have really been there for me a couple times.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
QBE, and nope.
They were cheaper than Geico which I use for my vehicles, and I just haven't gotten around to shopping.
They cancelled us, apparently never received a form they mailed us three times and we signed and sent back twice, they never called about it, got the cancellation letter after the cancellation date. Called and imagine that it could've all been handled over the phone. Then got a bill for the balance that had been refunded, otherwise known as the check that we destroyed when it showed up since they hadn't mentioned it during the phone call and said ok everything had been reinstated. About two or three weeks and five phone calls later each time explaining again the total circumstances and that so and so had said it would be investigated and the funds credited to our account, the funds finally got credited to our account about two days before our impending cancellation date for lack of payment.
They also "found" a hole in the yard when they inspected that I had fixed before they sent notice saying we can't renew next year unless we provide receipts from a contractor or landscaper showing it as repaired. Can't wait to explain to six or eight different folks that I got a pick up bed full of dirt and filled all the holes and low spots in the yard myself, which I'm sure is completely unfathomable to them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
USAA
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
USdoubleA

View Quote

I received my quarter century stickers from them at the beginning of the year. I have everything with them but my home loan, and I've had two residential claims and one auto claim with no increases to my policies.  

I'll help you out 1-800-531-8722
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I had Travelers for years. After that bunch of hurricanes in FLA in 2003 or so, my premiums went through the roof.....and I'm in VA, not in FLA. I ended up paying over $800 a year.

So a guy at work told me about a company called Northern Neck Insurance Company, that only sells insurance in VA. Of course, they were unaffected by all the claims in FLA, and their rates were about half of what I had been paying Travelers. I've been with them for over 10 years now, and no problems at all.

My house got hit by lightning, and it fried my refrigerator. Northern Neck paid the claim, and offered to pay for the lost food, too. I didn't lose any food, but it was nice of them to offer.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Allstate.    
Err, I have State Farm, not allstate.  
I get a good deal because I dropped the flood insurance.

Its not that handy, I don't know how to start a flood.    
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Allstate for three weeks now.  No complaints so far.  ;-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Allstate hasn't written a new home owners policy in my state in years
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Allstate hasn't written a new home owners policy in my state in years
View Quote

Florida?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#15]
State Farm - recently rolled the cars over there as well.  Including the cars allowed me to add a liability umbrella and just about halved my homeowner's premium.  The auto premiums were about 15% more than I was paying but the money saved on homeowners way more than made up for it.  

I like my agent.  So far I'm happy with SF.   About 12 years ago a tree fell through our last home and basically caved in two bedrooms and a bath.   Agent called me middle of the night and told me to just do what I needed to do and save my receipts.    Adjuster showed up the next day and handed me a preliminary check to get things rolling.    In the end I had all new carpet, all new exterior paint, all new roof, everything damaged repaired or replaced.  I picked my favorite contractor, he fixed everything and sent SF a bill.   I was out my deductible and some inconvenience.   I figured it up one time and it was  something like 15 years of me paying premiums and SF will finally break even on me.   -J

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
work for one of the big name companies

your going to get replies like this

"company A sucks, go with company B"
"company B sucks, go with company A"

shop around, know your coverages and deductibles
make sure you comparing apples to apples
that $20 a month your saving wont mean much when your deductible is double or triple
or your roof coverage is nothing because they have depreciating roof coverage as the roof ages
(roof coverages is something every single person needs to check out, lots of companies are starting to go with this)
roofs and broken pipes are #1 and #2 risks in a house

regardless of the company somebody will always be unhappy
and its normally because they didnt understand the product they were buying

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#17]
State Farm has my vote, got the combo of auto and home.    MetLife was very good to me when they were on a State Gov contract, but the State got cheap and dropped them, and State Farm then had the better rate.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm with Farmers and have a great agent and have not had one single problem with any claims I have made.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#19]
<--- State Farm Sales

Not all insurance is created equal.
Keep that in mind. I'll save you the sales pitch

FWIW, it's cost prohibitive to write just your home. We want the autos too so the home auto discount is massive. We have no desire for just your house.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
State Farm has my vote, got the combo of auto and home.    MetLife was very good to me when they were on a State Gov contract, but the State got cheap and dropped them, and State Farm then had the better rate.  
View Quote

Thats what we have.   Plus our local agent gives us bad ass personalized calendars.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats what we have.   Plus our local agent gives us bad ass personalized calendars.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People and their damn calendars. It baffles me

Quoted:
I ended up paying over $800 a year.

How big is the house?
$800 is a steal. Most policies I write are around $1500/yr
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I use USAA, but Farm Bureau would have been cheaper for the same coverage. The downside is that I would have had to bundle my auto insurance to get the "good" rate.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use USAA, but Farm Bureau would have been cheaper for the same coverage. The downside is that I would have had to bundle my auto insurance to get the "good" rate.
View Quote

So why don't you?

It's simple retention strategy
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if we stopped with the calendars people would riot
they get really pissed if we ever run out...even in June
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely. It's insane what people feel entitiled to from their insurance company.
T-shirts, coffee mugs, pens, calendars, road atlases, etc
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

<--- State Farm Sales

FWIW, it's cost prohibitive to write just your home. We want the autos too so the home auto discount is massive. We have no desire for just your house.
View Quote

The problem I have been running into with that is for some reason GEICO is half what other companies want to charge me for auto insurance.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
work for one of the big name companies

your going to get replies like this

"company A sucks, go with company B"
"company B sucks, go with company A"

shop around, know your coverages and deductibles
make sure you comparing apples to apples
that $20 a month your saving wont mean much when your deductible is double or triple
or your roof coverage is nothing because they have depreciating roof coverage as the roof ages
(roof coverages is something every single person needs to check out, lots of companies are starting to go with this)
roofs and broken pipes are #1 and #2 risks in a house

regardless of the company somebody will always be unhappy
and its normally because they didnt understand the product they were buying

View Quote

In 5 years every roof in Arkansas will be ACV.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Liberty Mutual.

We had a House Fire last July (no injuries) and have been taken care of well beyond all of our expectations. The company has treated us like family, and gone to extreme lengths to ensure our family was made whole again quickly and completely.

There are few companies in this world that I trust like Liberty Mutual now that we've gone through what we have.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you guys give out the personalized calendars also?  

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm with Farmers, no complaints here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
<--- State Farm Sales

View Quote

I've seen that in action but what's weird is that USAA doesn't give any sort of discount for both coverages with them.  Yet, they still seem competitive.

Any idea why that is?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#32]
AAA has my home and my auto. Their rates are good and so is their service.
I would never use State Farm because of past experience. They are still being sued from the claims they denied from Katrina.
Farmers Mutual gave me a great rate at first then started jacking my rates up tremendously even though I had no claims.
Because an insurance company is decent today they can be a nightmare to deal with next week.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Nationwide is on my side.  Kind of.  Never had a HO claim but have had auto claims and they've been awesome.  Unfortunately on HOI it keeps going up every year.  But every time I look for a quote elsewhere it's even more than I am paying.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#34]
If you live in a state where they do business, you won't find a better company:

Erie Insurance Group

At ERIE we believe the billions spent on humorous insurance commercials could be put to better use. So we put our money into providing seriously good auto, home, business and life insurance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top