Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2014 5:32:03 PM EDT
" />

I was about two feet from this guy when I took th epic with my I-Potato.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No love here for the deadly American Kestrel?

I would have petted him but he looked like he might claw my eyes out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
He wanted a scratch.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
awww baby falcon aww
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
awww baby falcon aww
View Quote

Ain't he cute?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
awww baby falcon aww
View Quote

Don't think it's a juvenile, that's an adult kestrel. Gorgeous bird.
OP, I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for dinner pic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP, I'm jealous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
awww baby falcon aww

OP, I'm jealous.

First time I have ever seen one that I know of. He wasn't bothered at all by people getting close to him either.
I thought he might be sick or injured but after a while he flew away.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tag for dinner pic.
View Quote

He wouldn't have made a snack.

I hear they taste like bald eagle though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Love kestrels.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Love kestrels.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a close encounter with ornithology today as well. Unfortunately it wasn't as cute. I was bashing through the brush when I literally stepped on a rough grouse. She scared the hell out of me. I took about two more steps and then it hit me, I figured she was on her nest.  I turned around and pulled back the brush to find two cute little chicks flopping around with their guts hanging out their asses. . I stomped them both out of their misery and asked her for forgiveness.  What a shitty way to start a nice hike.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
At my work, we had a bear.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a close encounter with ornithology today as well. Unfortunately it wasn't as cute. I was bashing through the brush when I literally stepped on a rough grouse. She scared the hell out of me. I took about two more steps and then it hit me, I figured she was on her nest.  I turned around and pulled back the brush to find two cute little chicks flopping around with their guts hanging out their asses. . I stomped them both out of their misery and asked her for forgiveness.  What a shitty way to start a nice hike.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome looking bird.  I want one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Should of shot a animal and tried to feed it.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Used to be a pair where I live many years ago.  I haven't seen them around for a long time.  Maybe they got chased away by the bigger hawks like sharpshinned or coopers and redtails.  There are a lot more sharpshin hawks around than ever.  They are noisy.
They used to perch on the power/telephone lines and hunt  for grasshoppers and small animals
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Butter pepper garlic
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Should of shot a animal and tried to feed it.

View Quote

He didn't look to be starving.

Matter of fact he looked pretty content like he had a full belly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Those are some of the coolest raptors.

Small but deadly.

And colorful.

Nice pic, OP.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#21]
He was trying to tell you that you have rodents in your workplace. You just wouldn't quiet down long enough to listen. "Oh look at the pretty Kestel. Who's a good boy? Polly want a cracker? .........."
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Old school tag so I can show my Mom.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I moved onto new property 2 months ago.  8 acres, mostly wooded.

In one of the clearings down by the creek, I kept seeing a large bird of prey vacating a hunting spot twice when I came into view.  I never saw the bird well, just well enough to know that it was brown and white-ish and it was HUGE.

While in the woods with my shepherd, I happened to see an identical looking bird come roaring through the woods and hit the ground behind a log.  It abruptly took off with a clear squeeking noise of whatever it was killing in its talons.  My German Shepherd's reaction was priceless.  She has an AMAZING prey drive and LOVES squeeky toys.  How she perked up was as if that bird had taken the squeeky toy from Jetta and it was game time.

While relaxing by the creek, I finally heard the bird's call.

I've got a Barred Owl on my property.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/barred_owl/id

I love it!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#24]
very cool
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In one of the clearings down by the creek, I kept seeing a large bird of prey vacating a hunting spot twice when I came into view.  I never saw the bird well, just well enough to know that it was brown and white-ish and it was HUGE.

While in the woods with my shepherd, I happened to see an identical looking bird come roaring through the woods and hit the ground behind a log.  It abruptly took off with a clear squeeking noise of whatever it was killing in its talons.  My German Shepherd's reaction was priceless.  She has an AMAZING prey drive and LOVES squeeky toys.  How she perked up was as if that bird had taken the squeeky toy from Jetta and it was game time.

I love it!
View Quote

I like owls. Come to think of it I like all the raptors.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#26]
As a kid, my dad and I picked up one with a broken wing off the side of the road. Got him to a wildlife rehab facility and he was released back to the wild after recovery. Beautiful little raptors.
My dad also had one as a pet back in the '60s.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I love it!
View Quote

I actually saw one of those about three years ago on our lease. It was the first time I had seen one, but I managed to correctly guess what it was by the distintive bars on his plumage. Neat Owl.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Raptors know they're cool.

Old farmhouse I lived in there was a red tailed hawk that would perch on a limb of a chinese tallow tree right outside the bathroom window. I'd look at him, he'd look at me. He didn't give a fuck that I was 6 feet away.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Lots of silly fledglings in my neck of the woods.
I chased a pair of redtails off the highway  this week. Silly birds..
I'm afraid they have high mortality rates.

I remember years ago rescuing an injured kestrel with a broken  wing but apparently very healthy.
Called up fish and game and they sent out a fellow with a truck who told me how much I could be fined for handling the state's property.
He then put the very much alive sparrow hawk in a plastic bag which he placed in the freezer of his truck and then drove off.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#30]
There's a few Peregrine falcons, plenty of sparrow, sharpshinned, and redtailed hawks around where I live. I also got to see the giant golden eagle that was reported in these parts. All of them are beautiful birds, love to watch them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#31]
That's bad ass.

I love Nature. It produces some cool stuff once in a while.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#32]
So, there was a bird outside?  Is this unusual for your area?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

At my work, we had a bear.
View Quote

Ahh, the rare "one-upper"
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

So, there was a bird outside?  Is this unusual for your area?
View Quote

Something tells me you live in the city.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm pretty sure it was a bald eagle I saw yesterday sort of stooping over the median of fucking MoPac of all places.

Certainly had a white head and was a big raptor. I've seen the family out near Llano. Sure looked like a bald eagle to me.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Raptors know they're cool.

Old farmhouse I lived in there was a red tailed hawk that would perch on a limb of a chinese tallow tree right outside the bathroom window. I'd look at him, he'd look at me. He didn't give a fuck that I was 6 feet away.
View Quote

Pretty true.  When I lived in downtown SLC I had a Redtail that was on my balcony railing every morning for several months.  I could open the blinds, take pics with the flash on, tap the glass, etc with no reaction other than a quick "do you mind, I'm trying to fuck up some pigeons" glance.  He (or she, I dunno), drew the line at me opening the door though.  

My other experience with raptors knowing they're cool took place around the same time.  I was riding my KLR on some backroads in the upper Uintah mountains (think WY/UT border).  Came blazing over a crest to find a Golden chowing down on a dead something (elk or moose, it was pretty far gone).  I stopped, he took off.  When I started off again around the carcass, I was covered by a shadow.  That ballsy mofo dived at me and actually made contact with my helmet.  Pinned it and got away.  When I stopped and took my helmet off, there were scratches!  I took some pics and sent them to Arai.  

You don't *really* get how big Golden Eagles are until you're underneath one.  

Pics were lost when my laptop was stolen.  

Cool pic OP, I think Kestrels are one of the most beautiful birds out there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Butter pepper garlic
View Quote

That's the sauce base.  You want to deep fry a kestrel because the fat content is low and they can dry out.  I like mine wrapped in bacon and drizzled in bernaise.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag for dinner pic.

Close, and thankfully not as greasy/oily as a spotted owl.  Those make duck look like Church's chicken.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Should of tossed him a grasshopper.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt271/hobbsar/048.jpg</a>" />

I was about two feet from this guy when I took th epic with my I-Potato.
View Quote

Beautiful slate, russet and cream coloring...really vivid. You are a lucky guy to get so close and get such a clear pic, even with an I-potato
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Put him in a headlock and take a selfie.  
If I can do it to a bull, you can manage a little birdy.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Thats cool.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#45]
love the colors.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
First time I have ever seen one that I know of. He wasn't bothered at all by people getting close to him either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

awww baby falcon aww

OP, I'm jealous.

He's used to people. There are a few Peregrine falcons that nest in some of the tall downtown stone buildings, in my city. The raptors, big and small, are the top of the bird kingdom, as predators. I would love to see any of them up close.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I saw a few of them doing aerobatics, on a windy day, once.

It looked to me like they were doing them just for the sheer hell of it.

Boy, can they fly!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Cool bird of prey. He just chillin'.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top