Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2003 5:08:59 PM EDT

This link will take you to the list of recommended base closures, as recommended by g2mil -

[url]http://www.g2mil.com/2005.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I am calling bullshit on this list.

Detroit Arsenal, Michigan - This tank factory was shut down in 1999, yet the base remains with a huge staff of 128 military and 3479 civilians personnel in Detroit just to support the headquarters of the Army's Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command.  This command can join its proponents at Fort Knox or move to Anniston Army Depot were much of it's work is actually done.

View Quote

The truth is that the new plant is about a mile up the road, but is contractor run. GM's massive tech center complex is also a few miles away.
These boobs don't know a thing about something I know about, which makes me think they have everything else wrong too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
More crap.

Lima Army Tank Plant, Michigan - This is run by General Dynamics which does similar work at its Sterling Heights Complex in Michigan.  Tank work is declining and there is no reason for the Army to own a plant used by private industry.  Sell the plant to General Dynamics if they want it, or close it if they prefer to do work elsewhere.  The Anniston Army Depot can also do future tank upgrades.

View Quote

They now admit to the new tank plant just north of TACOM, but claim the back-up plant is not needed.

You always gotta have another plant some distance away but not too much, in case of attack or fire and also to handle new big orders. These boobs think you can shit a new assembly line overnight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
More crap.

Lima Army Tank Plant, Michigan - This is run by General Dynamics which does similar work at its Sterling Heights Complex in Michigan.  Tank work is declining and there is no reason for the Army to own a plant used by private industry.  Sell the plant to General Dynamics if they want it, or close it if they prefer to do work elsewhere.  The Anniston Army Depot can also do future tank upgrades.

View Quote

They now admit to the new tank plant just north of TACOM, but claim the back-up plant is not needed.

You always gotta have another plant some distance away but not too much, in case of attack or fire and also to handle new big orders. These boobs think you can shit a new assembly line overnight.
View Quote

I thought the Lima Army Tank Plant was in Lima - Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice catch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top