Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 1:31:31 PM EDT
Why are certain folks inclined to rob these places? We used to not have any Dollar type stores around these parts now we have like 3 or 4 new stores that opened within the last year or so and lately there has been a spree/rash of robberies of them..fortunately the perps were caught the other night thanks to fast response from out local police, but really how much did they think they were going to get away with?..I guess they don't think much at all before they do this stuff..guess that's the problem..am thinking it's time to start carrying my G17 everywhere I go unfortunately...anyways my advice is to stay out of these types of places especially around closing time 9:00-9:30 p.m. ..anyways off to Chuck E Cheeses now for pizza NOT!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Many shoppers with cash (and/or EBT), low rent neighborhoods... should be pretty obvious why crime is high.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Benefits to robbers...

All small easy to pass bills

No danger of counterfeits in the mix

Generally owned by 1st gen immigrants.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
risk/reward.

They have the self awareness that they can't get away with a bank roberry or such. They THINK they can get away with a dollar store in a shit neighborhood
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many shoppers with cash (and/or EBT), low rent neighborhoods... should be pretty obvious why crime is high.
View Quote

But I live in one of the nicer areas around here.. We do have a mix though of millionaires and FSA types..but that's just Florida..
FWIW Perps came from across the bridge..NOT from around here..

Anyways these guys have done like 4 or 5 robberies around these parts..they hit our city twice and were caught on the second time around..our local Police rock!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I worked security at one that had been robbed TWICE in the week before Christmas.

Easy money.

OR... would have been a hell of a thread.  Complete with accusations of posing, wannabe-ing, 10 pages, 3 time outs, and 1 perma-ban.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Very few employees to deal with. Managers are usually in the back leaving 1 or 2 people to tend the store.

Lots of cash
No security
[#7]
Its funny as I used to live outside Detroit in the burbs and we didint seemingly have this crap...
(ETA) I just read about a fatal robbery that was done in Dearborn by an ex employee from another store..very sad story)

If I get a thread lock so be it.... funny thing is my Fiancee remembers me saying "those places are gonna get robbed" jokingly when they were building the stores last year..

Guess I will just chalk it up to the Obamanonomy..and not individual responsibility or anything like that..
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its funny as I used to live outside Detroit in the burbs and we didint have this crap...

If I get a thread lock so be it.... funny thing is my Fiancee remembers me saying "those places are gonna get robbed" jokingly when they were building the stores last year..

Guess I will just chalk it up to the Obamanonomy..and not individual responsibility or anything like that..
View Quote

Just giving you shit

Ruh ro!  Poop thread!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Nobody expects them to get robbed so....

Low security
Low risk
Crappy camera systems
Minimum wage employees are surprised and easily hand over the dough

They also have very few employees and very few customers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Just giving you shit
View Quote

Thats okay..I was born in Detroit area raised in Lost Angeles now residing in "Floriduh".So I'm used to shit.. Nothing phases me anymore..it just seems this area is now going to hell as well..kinda moved here to get away from all the bullshit of all the other places I was from/lived at over the years..finding out you really cant..as obviously anywhere there are people there are problems..I miss Kentucky as I lived there as a little kid..credit that place for making me the redneck that I am today LOL!

I honestly can't tell you the last time I heard about a Publix supermarket being robbed, I imagine the Publix policy of only putting stores in neighborhoods with a high average income has something to do with it. ]
View Quote
We have 3 Publix stores around here all within like 6 miles of each other..like I said its not a bad neighborhood..the robbers were from across the bridge..(across town).

Then again that lobster tail girl robbed the Publix didint she?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The Dollar General stores get hit here A LOT.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Fazes.
View Quote

I stand corrected sir...
What I get for being a semi Treky as a kid "Phazer" and all that...

So I guess this thread needs some direction..so besides Waffle Houses, Chuck E Cheeses and Dollar Stores what OTHER places do you avoid at late hours/closing times?

My other question is..say this goes down why you are in the store..punks come in telling everyone to lie on the floor etc and "give it up..are you gonna "be a good witness" or are you going to engage?
..down here its perfectly legal for me as a private citizen to engage to stop a felony in progress..only question is if I can do it without getting myself or others killed or wounded in the process..what says the hive?
I dont want to play Dirty Harry but if I think people including me and mine are going to be hurt or killed because of these idiots I would do my best to try to stop it.

FWIW both perps were apparently packing 9mm semi autos.so one would .need to be fast and accurate to take them both down...ASAP....FWIW my daily carry around these formeryly relatively "low crime" parts  is  usually a 5 shot .38/.357

Yeah I think i will change that now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top