Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2014 1:00:20 PM EDT
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/education/christian-school-faulted-for-halting-abuse-study.html?_r=1

"The person who supposedly counseled me told me if I reported a person like that to the police, I was damaging the cause of Christ, and I would be responsible for the abuser going to hell. He said all of my problems were as a result of my actions in the abuse, which mostly took place before I was 12, and I should just forgive the abuser.”

According to an investigative report from Al Jazeera America, rape victims searching for help at Bob Jones University in Greenville, S.C., were told to repent and seek out their own "root sin” that caused them to be raped.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Rapeculture.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
told to repent and seek out their own "root sin” that caused them to be raped.

View Quote

Sometimes God wants you to be raped.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They're trying to make this a "crazy Christian school" thing, but basically all Universities do everything in their power to fudge the Clery reports to make campuses look safer than they actually are.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I shouldnt have, but this line made me LOL....

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
That sucks....
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They're trying to make this a "crazy Christian school" thing, but basically all Universities do everything in their power to fudge the Clery reports to make campuses look safer than they actually are.

View Quote
Bob Jones University is the same university that used to ban bi-racial relationships. They are worse than Pensacola Christian College... and I find that to be quite an accomplishment.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably more like "I got drunk as hell and had consensual sex with some guy I didn't really know and now I feel like I was raped because I don't distinctly remember saying yes."

Read the article BTW..........their example seems a bit fishy as far as forced sex goes and has a bit of "sour grapes, he didn't really love me even though he said he did" smell to it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ain't that the truth, cover up suicides, murders, theft, deaths by alcohol poisoning, etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Really?   Al Jazeera buggering Bob Jones now?    Must be a slow news day.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sadly this is often the case.  In this particular case religion was just the excuse the University is using.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Eastern Michigan University had a huge scandal about this a few years back, girl actually ended up raped and murdered.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bob Jones University is the same university that used to ban bi-racial relationships. They are worse than Pensacola Christian College... and I find that to be quite an accomplishment.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am no fan of Bob Jones but they lifted that ban years ago.  Bob Jones actually lifted it live on Larry King one night during an interview.  And no, Pensacola is much worse than Bob Jones.  My back ground is in the network of churches that support those two schools and have both visited and have had friends attend both schools.  I am NOT in that network anymore.  Pensacola had the same ban in the past.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And no, Pensacola is much worse than Bob Jones.

I've known people who've been to both and yeah, PCC is worse.

They're both not places I'd want to be.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

According to an investigative report from Al Jazeera America, rape victims searching for help at Bob Jones University in Greenville, S.C., were told to repent and seek out their own "root sin” that caused them to be raped.

View Quote

LOL.

given that bob jones types think you can pray away the gay, this is plausible...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
This doesn't need to be one of those "crazy Christian school" stories because Bob Jones has that part nailed already.

Let's start with the eye gaze and 6 inch rule.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am no fan of Bob Jones but they lifted that ban years ago.  Bob Jones actually lifted it live on Larry King one night during an interview.  And no, Pensacola is much worse than Bob Jones.  My back ground is in the network of churches that support those two schools and have both visited and have had friends attend both schools.  I am NOT in that network anymore.  Pensacola had the same ban in the past.  

Patrick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patrick

Not sure "worse" is the right word, but Pensacola is definitely far more fundamentalist than BJU. They used to preach to us/lecture us about how "liberal" BJU was. Although, things have changed in the last few years since the founder stepped down as President and turned it over to younger blood (finally--should have happened decades ago).

Graduated PCC 1998 with a 4 year BS degree.

ETA: I figure if I could survive that, I can survive pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

In all fairness, Bob Jones is the poster school for "crazy Christians."
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Rapeculture.
View Quote

It's the Rapeture!

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's debatable
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Patrick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patrick

LOL, I met someone who had (very) briefly attended PCC. They said making prolonged eye contact with a member of the opposite sex in front of the "hall watchers" could get you bitched at. Any physical contact was forbidden. Fuck those assclowns.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's the Rapeture!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rapeculture.

It's the Rapeture!

#YesAllWomen
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I think we have a member here that graduated from PCC.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think we have a member here that graduated from PCC.
View Quote

I'm guessing more than one. I'm a lowly 14'er, but I did (see above a few posts).
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
LOL, I met someone who had (very) briefly attended PCC. They said making prolonged eye contact with a member of the opposite sex in front of the "hall watchers" could get you bitched at. Any physical contact was forbidden. Fuck those assclowns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patrick

I guess looking at a woman is a sin,... but rape, is A-OKAY!

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob Jones is a derp school, but that doesn't mean 74novaman is wrong.

Schools tend to be very proactive ignoring crimes to cover their own tails.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/education/christian-school-faulted-for-halting-abuse-study.html?_r=1

"The person who supposedly counseled me told me if I reported a person like that to the police, I was damaging the cause of Christ, and I would be responsible for the abuser going to hell. He said all of my problems were as a result of my actions in the abuse, which mostly took place before I was 12, and I should just forgive the abuser.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/18/bob-jones-university-told-rpe-victims-to-repent-and-look-for-root-sin-that-caused-their-rpe/

View Quote

So you want us to Know:

You Read Al Jazeera/NY Times??
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.

Eastern Michigan University had a huge scandal about this a few years back, girl actually ended up raped and murdered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Happens in high schools too.

Ask about the rolling pin story.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Again, this.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LOL.

given that bob jones types think you can pray away the gay, this is plausible...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Pretty much. The types that run these schools are close to psychotic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#32]
lol, when I was a kid, PCC wouldn't even let it's students attend movies.  

They are the original Taliban south.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.

Local college handles drunk driving in a certain manner so they can under report the numbers for that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saying "everybody does it" is a pretty lame excuse in general but shouldn't a Christian school attempt to be BETTER than average morality-wise?  They do purport to be better than average so why shouldn't they be held to the higher standard they claimed title to?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all according to God's plan according to the Magic Book.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep, same sex, gay LGBT rape... I got it!

The following approve this thread:

www.dojpride.org
www.dhspride.org
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I went to a christian high school with heavy affiliations with BJU. I had to spend a few days on their campus for national fine arts competition. That place is nuts!!! There are certain parts of campus restricted to the opposite sex. You have to apply for permission to go on a date and be accompanied by a chaperon. There is a dating parlor just full of three seat couches so you can have supervised dates. Both parties must sit on the extreme end of the ouch. All this was in 2008 so I don't know what may have changed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I went to a christian high school with heavy affiliations with BJU. I had to spend a few days on their campus for national fine arts competition. That place is nuts!!! There are certain parts of campus restricted to the opposite sex. You have to apply for permission to go on a date and be accompanied by a chaperon. There is a dating parlor just full of three seat couches so you can have supervised dates. Both parties must sit on the extreme end of the ouch. All this was in 2008 so I don't know what may have changed.
View Quote

Seriously?

That makes BYU's code of conduct sound like an off-campus frat house at FSU.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Nobody makes Christianity look as bad as Christians do. Nobody!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Why don't they just do like the hardcore Muslim countries and execute the rape victims for adultery?

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Seriously?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Well put
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#42]
A couple of my sisters went to college there in the 70s.
The place is nuttier than a sack full of squirrels.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Probably not true. I bet she just got drunk and killed herself and then blamed the guy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trust me, in this case that place is a crazy nut house.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that was known before this came out.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#46]
having grown up in a fundamental baptist church, this does not come as much of a surprise.  

worst thing i saw was a 45-year-old deacon engaged in statutory rape of a 16 year old.  turns out that the associate pastor was also banging the girl (who, to be fair, was ridiculously hot).  despite the fact that both men were married, they suffered no disciplinary action, while the girl and her family were drummed out of the church for seducing good men of god.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Every Bob Jones person I have met is either a looney tune, a homosexual, or a coke head, or a combination of all three.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

While that may be true, the stories from some of my classmates who left that place convinced me that they are actually crazy
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Dont worry no one is ever going to pray you straight
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
This. Absolutely.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top