Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2014 4:26:58 AM EDT
From a Detroit newspaper.  It is the results of a national survey of millennials.

Looking at this, the only recourse we have to save the country financially would be to mesh fiscal conservatism with social liberalism.  The problem for me is the radicalization of the American liberal.  Can't just have gay marriage, they want cross-gender restrooms, etc.

TEOTWASKI.  Unless these kids grow up and mature.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone still prints newspaper?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait until they get jobs and have to pay for it.

Oh, wait, that's right, they won't get jobs......
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Birdcages still need liners.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
They are all low information voters.

They always say things like obama is "cool".

Next stop third world status.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
People become more conservative as they get older.  Look at the large group self identifying as independents.  They are already ripe for change.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, for being millennials in Detroit, that's pretty encouraging

EDIT- Nevermind, national survey. ugh.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]
People tend to be liberal when they're young, and a large percentage get more conservative as they get older (and smarter).
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Although the header on the paper claims "nationwide", the data appears to mirror SE Michigan (Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne counties) not the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...Looking at this, the only recourse we have to save the country...
View Quote

Always Plan B...

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I fall into this age bracket. Moat my age have yet to make enough money for taxes to really be a big issue with them. Until I joined the navy all the money I was taxed was refunded me at the end of the year. So for these people the only issues that really matter are social issues. On top of that an understanding of their rights and what our country really means is not a big priority for our teachers so it is skewed by union teachers bias. A lot of these people grew up during the Bush years as well ,with an ever expanding aggressive government under a republican so their mindset is that is what republicans do. Now you have someone trying to lower student loans which appeals to them, complaining about the rich, which appeals to them, and republicans again just talking about taxes and war. The only way to appeal to them is as stated above; accept that it is none of your business what others do and then try and push fiscal conservative values.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:49:47 AM EDT
[#12]
It takes a few years to realize the liberal crap, taught in schools, is just crap.  Get a job, pay your taxes and watch your taxes being wasted, is a true education.  Problem is so many don't get jobs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#13]
You think it's unique that 20 somethings are still doe-eyed liberals?

That's how it always is.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

- Winston Churchill
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#14]
the media/universities/hollywood has succeeded in making being a republican/conservative uncool.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

the media/universities/hollywood has succeeded in making being a republican/conservative uncool.
View Quote
How did we get here in the same country that elected GWB twice, the second time less than a decade ago?

W spent 2001+ not defending himself or his party.  As a politician, you don't get to "be above politics."  The narrative was unchallenged for nearly seven years.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It will be interesting to see the effect that Obamacare has.  My company is now strictly limiting part-time employees to under 25hrs/week.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How did we get here in the same country that elected GWB twice, the second time less than a decade ago?

W spent 2001+ not defending himself or his party.  As a politician, you don't get to "be above politics."  The narrative was unchallenged for nearly seven years.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got here because of GWB.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Conservative thought isn't a logically consistent whole. It's modern liberalism minus 50 years.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Actually, for being millennials in Detroit, that's pretty encouraging

EDIT- Nevermind, national survey. ugh.
View Quote
"National" doesn't mean anything if all of the respondents are Big City Thinkers.  I'd love the details of the survey.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Meh. Kids are uneducated and make uneducated decisions.  That is why we send them to school for 12 years and don't let them make major decisions on their own prior to 18.

If you let schools be the only education they get, they're going to vote Democrat until life experience teaches them otherwise.  If you want something different, you have to get out in your community and take a leadership role and show them why your way is better.  It is a pain in the ass; but it is what has to be done.  And it isn't any accident that organizations who used to play a leading role in that process are constantly under attack by the media either.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Without a citation for the study or the article citing it, this is pretty damn useless.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking at this, the only recourse we have to save the country financially would be to mesh fiscal conservatism with social liberalism.
View Quote

We already have this, by and large, and it's a shit show.  You will never save Western Civilization if you're trapped in an economics only political box.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I was pretty liberal in my youth.  Got more conservative with age and wisdom.  Still have some lib views which probably puts me in the more libertarian camp, but I still vote R for the most part.

ETA born in 1980 for reference
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You think it's unique that 20 somethings are still doe-eyed liberals?

That's how it always is.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

- Winston Churchill
View Quote

Guess I was and am heartless .
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT
GWB was so appallingly awful that he pretty much destroyed the republican chances at the presidency.  Mitt(47% of the country are useless leeches)Romney didn't exactly help matters either.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
people tend to get more conservative with age.
View Quote

This.

Everyone was young and dumb once. Some of us grew out of it after getting a taste for how the real world works... others remain blissfully ignorant in their bubbles.

So long as mummy and daddums are still alive and financing their children, the children will continue to live in that ignorant bubble. When I was a teenager I thought the worst crime ever was my parents not giving me everything I wanted. When I got older I came to understand the greatest thing ever was my parents not giving me everything I wanted.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

And stupid statements about "legitimate rape" and that being gay is somehow comparable to being an alcoholic played no part in that? Please.

I am a conservative, and I totally am in agreement that the media/universities/hollywood think Republicans are uncool, but it's not like Republicans didn't give these institutions all the ammo they need to assassinate the party's character. Even I cringe at the thought of being associated with such stupidity.

The Republican Party has an image problem that its members contributed to making. That is a hard truth to swallow. Nevertheless, the first step is to acknowledge that it has a problem and then work to solve it.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Looking at this, the only recourse we have to save the country financially would be to mesh fiscal conservatism with social liberalism.

It's called Constitutional Libertarianism.  Climb aboard.

True conservatiism is a parody of itself.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation[1] or Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends. Researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.
View Quote

Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.
View Quote
- Winston Churchill
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok, well those DUMBFUCKS will have no one else to blame but themselves when it all comes crashing down.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Democrats have won 5 of the last 6 popular votes for president. W lost the popular vote the first time but got in due to the electoral college, then won his second as an incumbent wartime president with the narrowest popular vote in history.

The fact he was a fluke that got in on a technicality sort of puts it in perspective.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was pretty liberal in my youth.  Got more conservative with age and wisdom.  Still have some lib views which probably puts me in the more libertarian camp, but I still vote R for the most part.

ETA born in 1980 for reference
View Quote

Same here (though born in 1973). My parents, sister, and most close blood relatives were, and still are, diehard southern California latte liberals. I voted for Clinton in '92 because he was young (well, at least a lot younger that old codger Bush Snr ), cool, hip and went on Arsenio Hall and played the saxophone, and all my other young friends were also voting for him. Then I graduated college, got a real job, started paying taxes, and had to interact closely with the FSA (as part of my job) and I quickly converted to conservatism. I voted straight line Republican after that, at least up until last year. Now I vote for libertarian candidates.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Fucking millennials.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll say it again.  If Republicans start standing for liberty they will win.  

It mostly falls on deaf ears.  Those that do hear it usually get offended.  That alone should tell them what they are.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fucking millennials.
View Quote

As opposed to the baby boomers who set the ship on its current course.  Let's all blame the millennials though for not righting the ship.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It mostly falls on deaf ears.  Those that do hear it usually get offended.  That alone should tell them what they are.
View Quote

"Liberty" as in a pseudonym for the support of socially liberal causes?

Because although they'll deny it, scratch a social liberal and you'll find there's nothing but a liberal underneath.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Born in 83 here.  I remeber when slick willy was running for president the teachers all harping on us students to go home and tell our parents to vote for Clinton.  I remeber thinking 'who the fuck are you bitches to tell us that?'.  I have had a bad taste in my mouth for dems since then,  especially since thinking back more on it.  I have always leaned to the right of the political spectrum,  don't have much use for dems/liberals.

Curious as to who they surveyed for their results.  Starbucks crowd vs military guys for example.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok, well those DUMBFUCKS will have no one else to blame but themselves when it all comes crashing down.
View Quote

Yes, because the generation with an abysmal voting rate, where only 3/4 are actually of voting age yet, where of those who are of voting age, maybe 1/2 have barely 2 presidential elections under their belt, are totally responsible for the conditions that we are in now. That makes complete sense.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Because although they'll deny it, scratch a social liberal and you'll find there's nothing but a liberal underneath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Social conservatives are basically conservators of socially progressive causes of the past.  The WoD/Anti-abortion/anti-gay laws are all the definition of nanny-state progressive policy.  Enjoy Hillary in 2016
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Young people have always tended to be more liberal than their elders.  Been that way for centuries.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, because "liberals" want to end welfare along with all of the other federal spending that isn't permitted under the Constitution but they do so anyway?

All the liberals I've ever met simply want the government to pay for their EVERYTHING.  

Liberty means you can do what the fuck you want, but it also means you bear the consequences of your choices.  Which seems to be something "conservatives" don't want either since they pander to those on subsidy almost as much as their progressive bretheren in the D party.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm 29, so I'm not sure if I qualify for this generation or not, nor do I care.

But I also run my own business and pay taxes out the fucking ass. Every time I see an Obama or Change sticker on a car I want to run those little fucking Priuses over with my gas guzzling truck. Fuck you, you dirty fucking libs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's Detroit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Republican Party has an image problem that its members contributed to making. That is a hard truth to swallow. Nevertheless, the first step is to acknowledge that it has a problem and then work to solve it.

View Quote

The difference is that image is controlled 95% by the media we as a society consume. Your average voters will probably never meet the president, or their congressman, heck, probably even their city's mayor. So the only "image" they have of that person is created largely by what information they consume from the media, and in small part perhaps by what others whose opinions they value and trust tell them. The reason you "believe" the Republican party has an image problem is because the Democratic Party controls the majority of the media outlets, and therefore makes sure to publish any and all information they can to try and tarnish the image of the Republican Party while at the same time downplaying any information that would tarnish the Democratic Party's image. The counter balance to this has been non-liberal media outlets, such as Fox News, Conservative talk radio, and the litany of web-based conservative blogs, news sites, etc. But before those sources were as popular and available as they are today, a good chunk of people voters simply became concerned adults and recognized that what the media (e.g. Dan Rather, Walter Cronkite, Newsweek, etc.) was telling them was utter bullshit because it didn't pass the common sense smell test.  

The Republican Party pulls from the same pool of fallible humans and the Democratic Party. There are your alcoholics, adulterers, drug users, corrupt businessmen, etc. in both parties. If you think the solution to winning the image issue is by endeavoring to have a Republican Party comprised exclusively of saints so they never give the Democratic Party and the media ammunition to tarnish the Republican name, then your endeavors will fall far short of ever succeeding.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#48]
It's been true since before millenials and it will remain true after.  And, there will be more Republican Presidents and such.  Ebb and tide not sky falling.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
people tend to get more conservative with age.
View Quote

Apparently only about 45% of voters do. Not sure about the nation as a whole, but based on demographics of the past twenty years I would disagree with your assessment.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

QFT
GWB was so appallingly awful that he pretty much destroyed the republican chances at the presidency.  Mitt(47% of the country are useless leeches)Romney didn't exactly help matters either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

Mitt was fucking spot on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top