User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 6:05:10 PM EDT
Why?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh I would buy one if they took AR mags.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't own one but back in 1976 my buddy bought one of the "200th Year Of American Liberty" special edition mini 14s.
I've shot it many times, it was always totally reliable but only shot about 4 moa.

He has since sent it to Accuracy Systems Inc. and when he got it back it was shooting repeatable 1.5 moa groups.

I'd probably buy one for a truck gun if it were cheap enough...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't own one but back in 1976 my buddy bought one of the "200th Year Of American Liberty" special edition mini 14s.I've shot it many times, it was always totally reliable but only shot about 4 moa.
He has since sent it to Accuracy Systems Inc. and when he got it back it was shooting repeatable 1.5 moa groups.
View Quote

That's the problem, they cost more than an AR and are less accurate.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't own one but back in 1976 my buddy bought one of the "200th Year Of American Liberty" special edition mini 14s.I've shot it many times, it was always totally reliable but only shot about 4 moa.
View Quote

And yet many here would gush over a Springfield M1A that's easily $500 more expensive and just as "accurate" stock.

Sure, it's not as cheap as an AR15 since it's made by only one company. It's a different design for those that like the older Garand/M14-esque rifles and is cheap as you can get for such a rifle. It's reliable and more than accurate enough for hunting and defensive uses. It's certainly accurate within the practical range of the 5.56.

I'd bet that the Mini-14 can be accurized to the same extent that the M1A/M14s are and would probably be less money when all is said and done than if similar accuracy was gained from the bigger rifle. It would still just be a 5.56 though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked the one I had but it was a 4 MOA with my hand loads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an old Mini from early 80s

Thin barrel heats up fast. Slow twist, needs light bullet.  It's accurate with 45 gr jhp
Anything heavier starts opening up.

Newer mini is better
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
My Mini is one of the few guns I still regret trading away. It was a light, easy-handling, non-scary-looking, utility rifle. Nope, not a precision gun at all - like above, 4MOA was the norm - but it ate ANYTHING I put in. (Flung the brass to the next county too, but that's OK when you're shooting cheap shit.)
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thin barrel heats up fast. Slow twist, needs light bullet.  It's accurate with 45 gr jhp

Newer mini is better
View Quote

I also heard that Ruger used a small diameter barrel to cut weight. The light barrel flexs as the piston is moving. How much truth there is in that I don't really know, but beefing up the barrel seems to be a common after market fix.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I sorta want one
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I also heard that Ruger used a small diameter barrel to cut weight. The light barrel flexs as the piston is moving. How much truth there is in that I don't really know, but beefing up the barrel seems to be a common after market fix.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newer mini is better

That would explain the unpredictable accuracy that many have
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I sorta want one
View Quote

Same boat here. Not gonna pay $700+, though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
If Ruger had used the right materials and built the rifle with a few modifications, it could have easily been an splendid rifle on par with the AR-15 in accuracy. It might have been a little heavier, but it would have been a much better rifle. The idea of a scaled down M-14 was a good one. Ruger's execution of that idea, however, left a great deal to be desired.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I liked the one I had but it was a 4 MOA with my hand loads.
View Quote

Thats about what I get BUT still like minis
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
this
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this

i was a child of the 80's and watched the A-Team on TV, and yet, I have never been interested in a Mini-14. I don't know why, but the rifle just never did anything for me.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

i was a child of the 80's and watched the A-Team on TV, and yet, I have never been interested in a Mini-14. I don't know why, but the rifle just never did anything for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

They feel great and point well. Vey handy. As mentioned, don't jam, throw brass far out of field of view
Easy controls
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in cabelas today...

~$800 range.

Nearing Colt AR range...?!

I have one. Got it before I got my first AR... Mine is ~ok accuracy wise... I guess I got lucky...

Unless you live in a ban state, get an AR.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They feel great and point well. Vey handy. As mentioned, don't jam, throw brass far out of field of view

Easy controls

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this

Easy controls

I agree, it is an interesting design, just never appealed to me.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine cost $298 NIB.

I like it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

And yet I find this incredibly interesting

It's almost like the mini-14 was designed to be as unappealing and uninteresting as possible.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Rod Steiger approves:

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Mine cost $298 NIB.

I like it.
View Quote
That is about what I paid for mine in the late 80's...

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]

with a mini you shoot for a pattern not a group

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#25]
My Mini shoots 3 MOA.  Better than George Peppard's, anyway.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#26]
They were cheap and with factory mags they will fuck shit up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top