Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2014 4:44:59 PM EDT
Fuck.  Me.   This car has a "dual clutch transmission", and  what a herky-jerky piece of shit it is.  It's like having a 12 year old learning on a manual transmission.  What is really so annoying is that the motherfucker behaves differently in the same situation.  Some days it is power on demand, and tonight it was "Fuck you, 1911sforever!  I'll stutter and stall across this lane of traffic with oncoming traffic and give you a heart attack." That was the last straw.  

60,000 miles and I owe $7K on the car.  I had planned on driving this thing to at least 200K, but I just can't stand the sonofabitch any longer.  

It's my commuter car, 65 miles a day.  Fuel economy is 28-31, so I have no real complaint there.  Comfortable, quiet, handles well (Titanium package.)  Of course Sync sucks, but I don't use it anyway.  

My solution:  Lose my ass and sell it and drive my Avalanche to work until it falls apart around me.  (168k miles and still running well.)  Maybe in the fall I'll pick up another commuter.  

The point of this post?  Don't buy a Focus with a DCT in it.  (The ST is a six speed manual.)

UPDATE:  Raged at work all day and determined that the Focus had to go.  Did some online shopping, found a reputable dealer, engaged USAA and drove off the lot with a 2014 Focus Titanium in the same color as my Focus.  This car is amazing.  Air conditioned seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, remote start, yadda yadda.  I'm actually looking forward to my commute tomorrow!

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard much good about the dry-clutch transmission Ford's using on the Focus.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I like 1911s.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't heard much good about the dry-clutch transmission Ford's using on the Focus.
View Quote

Add my voice to the FUCK THAT SHIT chorus.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks. I don't like those transmissions either but in a compact car I have to have a manual or nothing. I have a '14 Chevy Cruze right now with the 1.4 turbo with a 6 speed manual trans and while I do end up shifting a lot as I drive in the city a lot I much prefer it to an auto in a smaller car, there is just no other way to squeeze all the power out of these little engines.

I can't say I am the happiest with my car either, the gear box is crap, the clutch is crap, the tires are crap, even with a manual, the engine just doesn't have hardly any ass. I thought I could be happy with it and I will force myself to be for a while but I also want it gone. Little cars just suck to be honest and even at the cost of gas I wish I had my truck or my Mustang back.

Good luck on whatever you get next.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like 1911s.
View Quote

So do I...I have a safe full of them.  But I'm carrying M&Ps now.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I got a focus 2013 titanium model have had no problems, its been a great car 21, 000 miles.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my dad a 13 Focus.  With auto tranny.  Gets 35+ mpg, super car.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Vehicle engineer    [Look, a single plate clutch has worked great for the past 50 years in cars, lets change that just because we can save three pounds and make it more complicated and harder to feather.]  Vehicle engineer
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Dual clutches are still relatively new. I heard way back when when the automatic was being introduced  there were lots of problems. The manufactures of them still have to work out the kinks. Have you seen a dealer if there is a new ecu flash?
I had a problem with mine in an audi it thes the mectronics unit, the ecu and solonoids. 2500 later I was back in buisness.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry, I got a focus 2013 titanium model have had no problems, its been a great car 21, 000 miles.
View Quote

You haven't had the stutter while the computer hunts for gears?  I have had the latest TSBs installed, kept up with maintenance, etc  and tolerated the idiosyncrasy.  But tonight was the last straw.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you go in for a recall or have the trans computer updated? When i was planning on buying a used one a few months ago, I think i read something about that helping some of the early Focus cars that had bad trans issues.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You haven't had the stutter while the computer hunts for gears?  I have had the latest TSBs installed, kept up with maintenance, etc  and tolerated the idiosyncrasy.  But tonight was the last straw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no problems.yet
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did you go in for a recall or have the trans computer updated? When i was planning on buying a used one a few months ago, I think i read something about that helping some of the early Focus cars that had bad trans issues.
View Quote

I'm current on all of the Technical Service Bulletins.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#14]
The real bullshit thing about the Focus is that the way the main computer modulates low-RPM engine timing for emissions reasons, even the manual isn't a sure thing. My ST6 does the same thing, some days it shifts smooth as a baby's ass, with a reliable and consistent torque curve. The next day, same conditions, it lugs out on the 1-2 shift. I swear it's the humidity or barometric pressure or some shit.

I really like the look of the new Mustang but if the computer does the same shit, I'll pass. I don't need a nanny between me and my power source.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fuck.  Me.   This car has a "dual clutch transmission", and  what a herky-jerky piece of shit it is.  It's like having a 12 year old learning on a manual transmission.  What is really so annoying is that the motherfucker behaves differently in the same situation.  Some days it is power on demand, and tonight it was "Fuck you, 1911sforever!  I'll stutter and stall across this lane of traffic with oncoming traffic and give you a heart attack." That was the last straw.  

60,000 miles and I owe $7K on the car.  I had planned on driving this thing to at least 200K, but I just can't stand the sonofabitch any longer.  

It's my commuter car, 65 miles a day.  Fuel economy is 28-31, so I have no real complaint there.  Comfortable, quiet, handles well (Titanium package.)  Of course Sync sucks, but I don't use it anyway.  

My solution:  Lose my ass and sell it and drive my Avalanche to work until it falls apart around me.  (168k miles and still running well.)  Maybe in the fall I'll pick up another commuter.  

The point of this post?  Don't buy a Focus with a DCT in it.  (The ST is a six speed manual.)

View Quote

are you over or under 60k? have you had the clutch replaced before? the clutch unit which is what causes most of the issues have been known to be bad right out of the box. i have seen a car blow up,yes blow up two new duel clutch units . if you want you can message me your vin and i can run it, but if your over 60k not much a dealer can do unless it was documented before 60k but not fixed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]
On your next purchase do your homework and look at "problem areas" for the brands/models you are considering…….. OR, just by a Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or maybe a Toyota Corolla. Haven't had one problem from my Mazdas or Toyotas.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

are you over or under 60k? have you had the clutch replaced before? the clutch unit which is what causes most of the issues have been known to be bad right out of the box. i have seen a car blow up,yes blow up two new duel clutch units . if you want you can message me your vin and i can run it, but if your over 60k not much a dealer can do unless it was documented before 60k but not fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!  Just went over 60K.  

But I did buy an extended warranty...

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
+1  may first years are plagued with gremlins that get sorted out over time. Sometimes it's software, sometimes silent recalls and always there are running changes over the duration to sort these things out. 1st years are hit or miss for sure and definitely a gamble that you are beta testing their product.

Jeep at the moment is battling horrid gremlins in their new ZF designed 9- speed auto. Chrysler CEO was quoted this week as saying something like it will be better in 6 mos.  WTF good does that do people that bought them last year or even last month?? They have to put up with the BS until then??

Yeah, no 1st years for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
thru ford? or aftermarket? im a ford tech if its ford i could run the parts number and see if its cover? otherwise you would have to call your warranty company and ask them
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
thru ford? or aftermarket? im a ford tech if its ford i could run the parts number and see if its cover? otherwise you would have to call your warranty company and ask them
View Quote

Through Ford.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Ford.   Problem found.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Through Ford.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Through Ford.

thats a start, bring it to your dealer, most likely a $100 deductible. and if its as bad as your saying then you either your input seals are leaking, or the clutch is toasted
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

thats a start, bring it to your dealer, most likely a $100 deductible. and if its as bad as your saying then you either your input seals are leaking, or the clutch is toasted
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Through Ford.

OTOH...there's a new '14 Taurus SHO on the lot....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I recommend the 2014 corolla, we are getting 40 mpg highway and 35 in town.  We got that to leave the 2012 cummins parked until we haul the 5th wheel.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like 1911s.

I have an M&P too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

1. You bought a Focus, lmao.
2. You bought a manual, lmao.

Sucks but it's your own fault.  /shrug
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the same car and it's been awesome and trouble free.  I'm at 69k.  Did you get the TSB done that reprogrammed the transmission?  They did it because people complained about the tranny shifting like a manual (because it is).
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
snip

View Quote

his car has a automatic transmission in it, said transmissions are known to have issues, the early cars more so. hardly his fault
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And thank you for your input.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Have you had 11T02 and 12B37 performed on your car?  Here they are:

12B37 is what I had done to my car.  It really smoothed out the shifts.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the type of manual you think. There is no clutch pedal, and the clutches are computer controlled.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

his car has a automatic transmission in it, said transmissions are known to have issues, the early cars more so. hardly his fault
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

So he bought a car with known issues?  Wouldn't that be all his fault?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's not the type of manual you think. There is no clutch pedal, and the clutches are computer controlled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, one of those "manuals" trying to be a manual.  Opinion doesn't change.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very welcome.  Thanks for posting the thread so I could input my input.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Came here to post basically the same thing about the clutches. We have done several here where I work and a couple of the seals as well and the clutch replacement has fixed the issue every time. Talk to your dealer and explain the situation. If you have a ford extended warranty it should cover it. If you are a loyal customer, they may even cover you $100 deductible. When those cars are right they are great cars that get good mpg. Unfortunately the dual clutch thing is causing a problem. Or I have a 13 ST still on my lot that I'll cut you an awesome deal on.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

So.  The implications of the title elude you?  "My story about buying the first model year".  When I bought the car the issues weren't "known".  

I know I'm feeding a troll, but, well, like you I just can't help myself.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Came here to post basically the same thing about the clutches. We have done several here where I work and a couple of the seals as well and the clutch replacement has fixed the issue every time. Talk to your dealer and explain the situation. If you have a ford extended warranty it should cover it. If you are a loyal customer, they may even cover you $100 deductible. When those cars are right they are great cars that get good mpg. Unfortunately the dual clutch thing is causing a problem. Or I have a 13 ST still on my lot that I'll cut you an awesome deal on.....
View Quote

AFRCOM GD...no better place on the Interwebz!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know everyone (almost....Chrysler is probably still using shifty 4 speeds) is going to this setup, right?  You can't get that level of efficiency out of a slush box with a torque converter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My tundra is in the shop because the frame might rust and break in half
View Quote

I just had my '13 mustang gt's hood repainted under warranty because the paint was bubbling due to galvanic corrosion... who thought it would be a good idea to use an aluminum hood on a steel chassis?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I looked at the 2012 Focus but they wouldn't deal.  I bought Cruze instead and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#42]
When I worked at the Ford dealership they always joked if you wanted so schedule your recalls when you pick the car up the first time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn't know they cost more than $7k.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Most of the mass market brands have stopped selling cars with the duel clutch auto transmissions for these very same reasons.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Dual clutches are still relatively new. I heard way back when when the automatic was being introduced there were lots of problems. The manufactures of them still have to work out the kinks. Have you seen a dealer if there is a new ecu flash?

I had a problem with mine in an audi it thes the mectronics unit, the ecu and solonoids. 2500 later I was back in buisness.
View Quote

Umm....I have three 2-ton trucks with 2 clutch plates from the 70s.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#46]
I love my 2012 Roush Stage 2. When I drive my wife's explorer I hate that there is no power. But it is a breeze to drive compared to my Roush. Effortless.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dual clutches are still relatively new. I heard way back when when the automatic was being introduced there were lots of problems. The manufactures of them still have to work out the kinks. Have you seen a dealer if there is a new ecu flash?

Umm....I have three 2-ton trucks with 2 clutch plates from the 70s.
Not the same duel clutch system.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So.  The implications of the title elude you?  "My story about buying the first model year".  When I bought the car the issues weren't "known".  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I'm still trying to figure out WHY you bought a 1st year model in the 1st place.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You know everyone (almost....Chrysler is probably still using shifty 4 speeds) is going to this setup, right?  You can't get that level of efficiency out of a slush box with a torque converter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

almost everyone is going to Ford's problematic DCT?  you have proof of that?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and my only complaint was a broken parking brake lever fixed under warranty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top