Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2014 3:43:32 PM EDT
I'm going to type fast, because I don't know if I'll have enough time to finish this:

There's a storm rolling through my area, and every time there's a close lightning strike, my power goes out for 0.5 seconds. It comes right back. When it does, it takes 3-4 minutes for all of my shit to actually boot back up.

Invariably, 2 minutes into this process, the power goes out again for 0.5 seconds. And the cycle repeats. Often.

A UPS would solve this, but...I'm a cheap bastard.

#FirstWorldProblems
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
good luck, I received your trans-
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone in your position should know better, even if you are a cheap bastard.  My tv and my main computer run on separate UPS's.  If I lost full tower Dell Precision workstation I would be screwed.  My VMs, main storage, and media server would all be down/toast.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Someone in your position should know better, even if you are a cheap bastard.
 My tv and my main computer run on separate UPS's.  If I lost full tower Dell Precision workstation I would be screwed.  My VMs, main storage, and media server would all be down/toast.
View Quote
I won't disagree. You're right. There's really no arguing it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an APC 3000 tower with an extra battery pack. Keeps all my systems and TV running for hours.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Enterprise?

"COMPUTER! Stop booting every time there's a slight power surge. Scotty, give us steady power!"
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Someone in your position should know better, even if you are a cheap bastard.  My tv and my main computer run on separate UPS's.  If I lost full tower Dell Precision workstation I would be screwed.  My VMs, main storage, and media server would all be down/toast.
View Quote

I give people professional advice all the time, that I don't follow myself. Why? I don't get paid to follow my own advice.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
smission.

Wait-
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I walked out into the living room, and my wife is playing my skittish 12 and 7 year old pair of children "The Thunder Rolls", by Garth Brooks on her iPhone.

First they've heard it. They're only mildly amused. There's some eye rolling by the 12 year old female.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I give people professional advice all the time, that I don't follow myself. Why? I don't get paid to follow my own advice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you like the proverbial mechanic who has the shittiest car at home and doesnt work on it properly?

Isn't a ups super easy and relatively cheap?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

#FirstWorldProblems
View Quote

Dude, you know I love you but you need to get thee to a store soon to get a UPS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Dude, you can buy a used ups at goodwill for $5 that just needs fresh batteries. I don't even know what "enterprise network gear" is, and I still know that. I bought 2 ups systems to keep my television running.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Has 3kish worth of enterprise network gear.

Too cheap to spend a couple hundred to power it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]
And a further complication is that firstly, your bigass enterprise boxes draw bigass enterprise loads from any battery system you do pick, and secondly that you're likely to be sorely dissatisfied with a smaller cheapass switching box.  Once you know about the enterprise equivalent, is Suzy Homemaker's fifty buck APC really going to do it?  Really?

So then you put an eye out there, and you find something they're throwing away at a client site… That'll about do with some work and some cheap replacement cells…

And that's how I broke my sternum.

Watch your sternum, dude.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#16]
free ups in this thread?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dude, you can buy a used ups at goodwill for $5 that just needs fresh batteries. I don't even know what "enterprise network gear" is, and I still know that. I bought 2 ups systems to keep my television running.

View Quote
Let's put it this way - it's something you can geek out on and half-ass justify as being "work related in furthering my career", for no other legitimate reason than "...because I can, that's why".

A big battery is pretty much the opposite of this, however useful is may actually be.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And a further complication is that firstly, your bigass enterprise boxes draw bigass enterprise loads from any battery system you do pick, and secondly that you're likely to be sorely dissatisfied with a smaller cheapass switching box.  Once you know about the enterprise equivalent, is Suzy Homemaker's fifty buck APC really going to do it?  Really?

So then you put an eye out there, and you find something they're throwing away at a client site… That'll about do with some work and some cheap replacement cells…

And that's how I broke my sternum.

Watch your sternum, dude.  
View Quote

It isn't. And that's the paradox. Also:

I'm embarrassed at my power bill. I'll just leave it there.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The Cobblers children have no shoes...

I too, being in the IT field with all kinds of enterprise level crap at home, have no UPS...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you like the proverbial mechanic who has the shittiest car at home and doesnt work on it properly?

Isn't a ups super easy and relatively cheap?
View Quote

They are always beeping needing a new battery
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#21]
You might be too cheap to buy a UPS, but it'll be a lot less expensive to buy a UPS than replace the rest of your gear.

Just say'n'.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let's put it this way - it's something you can geek out on and half-ass justify as being "work related in furthering my career", for no other legitimate reason than "...because I can, that's why".    

A big battery is pretty much the opposite of this, however useful is may actually be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's a tax write off you can play with.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I too, being in the IT field with all kinds of enterprise level crap at home, have no UPS...
View Quote
A UPS just ain't sexy, even as it's actually useful.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also REALLY hate it when they beep and beep and beep.
Then the batteries die and the beep more.

Every day around 4PM my coworkers UPS beeps because the battery is dying. He's never in the office when it happens. I'm going to have to throw it out of the window soon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and they are too heavy for their size and suck to move around.. and there is never a good spot for them!

You dont need much, just enough to work with brownouts and filter the power.

Heck they dont even sit on shelves well...

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
and they are too heavy for their size and suck to move around.. and there is never a good spot for them!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5529/14475177033_e319fab068_h.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would never let that thing grace my rack. If I'm going to do this, it's at least going to be rack mountable.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not until you get to the enterprise stage with a bank of batteries, constant power regulation, and an automatic start generator.  In a home setting one might also experiment with alternative ways of filling those batteries like solar panels or a wayward child strapped to a power generating stationary bike.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would never let that thing grace my rack. If I'm going to do this, it's at least going to be rack mountable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but even that will do the job.  I know rack mount is all sexy and stuff, but at this point i think its function over form.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I got UPS's for anything plugged in that's worth more than $50. Very good investment.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

but even that will do the job.  I know rack mount is all sexy and stuff, but at this point i think its function over form.

View Quote
Dude, the modem/WAP/switch/router/DNS sever/DHCP server/firewall the cable company gave me will "do the job".

You're missing the point.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#31]
No.  You know what to do.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm going to type fast, because I don't know if I'll have enough time to finish this:

There's a storm rolling through my area, and every time there's a close lightning strike, my power goes out for 0.5 seconds. It comes right back. When it does, it takes 3-4 minutes for all of my shit to actually boot back up.

Invariably, 2 minutes into this process, the power goes out again for 0.5 seconds. And the cycle repeats. Often.

#FirstWorldProblems
View Quote

I think your problem is that you don't really have enterprise gear
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

I completely understand.  I have no recent external backup of my data, it is all housed in a 2 drive raid 1 and both drives were bought at the same time.  I have a 4TB external hard drive sitting right here, unplugged. But the chances of electricity screwing up my computer are much greater than two disks failing simultaneously. So the UPS takes priority.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Lightning strike took out my router yesterday.   I got the spare out of the closet and was up again in minutes.

Stop being cheap and get a UPS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're semi-dead to me. Think of the equipment!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Come on, I can get 'em a little cheaper than this, but even at this price there is no excuse.
http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=26456
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Does the vinyl keep spinning through the power dropouts?  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  I would never let that thing grace my rack. If I'm going to do this, it's at least going to be rack mountable.  
View Quote

You're not a true redneck.  Your future UPS USED to be rack mountable.  It was, until you opened up the case & wired the boards directly to ganged trolling motor batteries.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Snag some old APC's and swap the batteries. I'm a cheap-ass to but come on.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I have the same problem. I give zero shits.  I'd rather buy more nerd stuff.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I've given up on having enterprise class gear at home.

I used to have a bunch, but it's a pain in the ass, for only the most minimal value.  Home/small business gear is good enough, fast enough, reliable enough, etc..  Storage?  To the cloud!  

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#44]
SmartUPS 750 for me. It lasts a LONG time since power usage is around 80W. The phone system has its own UPS. It keeps me sane. Besides, whenever the power is out it lets me know so I can check on other things such as pumps, etc. And multiple short outages seem to do more damage than a single long outage.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#45]
In Oregon I never even considered the possibility of needing a battery back up.  We'd go years between power outages.  And we'd never have the short power burps... it'd either be on or going to be off for a while.

Then I moved down here to Florida where my battery back up gets utilized every other day.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll have to take a picture of what the lab in my basement looks like from my CCIE studies.  11 routers, an OLD Catalyst 5000 switch and now a couple of Dell 1950's running Xen server to provide endpoints.   I had a APC 2200 UPS, but the batteries died long ago and like you, I'm too cheap to replace them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#47]
LOL, dude, UPS?

I really expected that you were going to complain about the cost to power all that gear and the massive heat it generates.

Do I need a 48 port PoE switch in my basement?  Of course!

I put in a whole house surge arrester in, but if it fries, I'll pull another one out of the labstack....and it's not like I paid for it.

I have a spare ASA NIB and an old PIX if I need to roll back 3 times...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#48]
My problem isn't the T1 router I have in my cave, my problem is every close lightning strike apparently induces a surge in the junction box down the road.  THAT kills my connection for the briefest of seconds, but then I have to wait for the T1 to come back up, and then for my network to reconnect.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Just buy a UPS you frigging cheapskate.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

This.

I preach the necessity of a UPS to all my clients, yet I didn't have one up until about 3 months ago.
Also: I am the cable management/OCD cabling Nazi at work.
My rack at home… Yeah, that looks like hell.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top