Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2003 12:41:54 PM EDT
[URL]http://www.kmiz.com/news/headlines/173896.html[/URL]

Scroll down to the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn Florida got a D+.  Somebody's trying too hard.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised that MN was so low, C+*.  With so many liberals we have terrible guns laws.

The good news is that our new governor, Tim Pawlenty, is pushing for "shall issue" CCW, unlike that fool Jesse Ventura who push it in his campaign & then dropped it like a hot potato when he got his own carry permit.

Our new governor will not get as much national press as Jesse, but he will be a much better governor.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
A C for North Carolina.  Surprisingly restrictive--I moved up last year from Florida and was shocked to discover that the Sheriff must issue a permit prior to the purchase of a handgun (for a fee, of course).  One permit for each handgun.  [:(!]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
KS gets a C+. Based on the scoring criteria, I wish it was an F.

From the story:
Unfortunately, once again 29 states received grades of D or F in this year's report card. Not surprisingly, many of these states have child and teen firearm death rates that are higher than the national average.
View Quote

Without getting into the "child and teen firearm death rates" issue, by definition, wouldn't about half of the states have to be higher than average, and about half of the states lower than average?

Statistics are used by most people in the way a lamppost is used by a drunk: more for support than illumination.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
'sconsin got a C+ with a star (lucky Wyoming got an F!)

It would be nice if they could show the numbers of murder, rape, and kidnapping right next to the grades.  That would really say something about CA, IL, and NY.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Proud to have a "D" for Arizona, but I would prefer a big fat [size=4]F[/size=4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
D+ here.  Hopefully next year we will get a d- or an F.  Anything to piss off (or on) the Brady bunch or MMM is ok with me![buttkick]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
They gave Michigan a D+, with shall issue and job protection for CCW.

I can only guess it's because you need a permit to purchase.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
WOOOO HOOO !!!F+ for idaho. unfortunately we have had a few kids playing with guns and offed their friends or relative. i will still carry and still teach my kids about safe gun handling
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Boston T Party in his latest book: Boston's Gun Bible gives a really good list of how the states rank according "Gun Control Laws".

Everyone here knows that the top state in the Nation is Vermont...but can you guess the second and third place?

Hint: it aint Arizona..(though Arizona is ranked pretty high!)
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish there were an F- so we could have room for improvement here in KY. I suppose we'll have to settle for an F.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
GA only got a D, but we'll keep trying.  That F sure looks good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
D+
But we're trying to whittle that down to F or F-.  Hell, at this point I'd be happy with a D-!
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Rat's Virginia got a C+.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It would be nice if they could show the numbers of murder, rape, and kidnapping right next to the grades.  That would really say something about CA, IL, and NY.
View Quote

Agreed!
....AND gun violence as a whole.

Lets see if there is a trend between the quoted "child and teen firearm death rates" and the economic or ethnic status of the surrounding family and community.

There is little definition for the gun violence relating to teen & children.

The percentage quote over national average is also BS. Is it per state or per population or per population density……….?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]
NH got a D+............Junior, If you dont bring home straight F's next semester, You are going to summer school!!......................I would have preferred an F but I'll settle for a D+
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Lets see- Multi-Repeat Murder Capital of NORTH AMERICA - ILLINOIS gets a B+
Who came up with these grades Murderers and Felons?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#19]
D looking for an F
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to see every state get a Z MINUS.

It'd be the same grade that Brady Boneheads probably got in school.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#22]
im gonna make a list of all the F states, and keep in case i ever move from AZ. We got a D. so if i move itll only be to an F state.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Montana........... F!!!
God Bless America!!

FN in MT
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I notice Washington gets a D+.   Interesting since we have extremely little state or local gun control.   We don't have open carry or Class 3 weapons, but that's about it on the state side of things, and even liberal Seattle has no gun control laws that I am aware of.   Our state constitution is very good concerning gun rights though and that has probably saved us from going the way of California.
I guess we must just have a low rate of gun deaths involving "children" so we get a higher grade.   That's a nice way to skew their statistics, isn't it?    That way it always looks as if the states they rank highly are the safest.   A state with very little gun control might get a C- just because it is extremely safe and another might get a C+ because it is very violent despite having draconian gun laws.   In any event their prescription is exactly the same:  more gun control.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#25]
D+ here in the buckeye state. Figure if we ever get our ccw crap where it ought to be we'll be joining the ranks of the "F" troop.

Like to see the formula for figuring those "grades". Must be that curve system I've heard about.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#26]
C- for Colorado. We really should try harder.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#27]
The Constipation State got an A- right next to Cali.  This makes me feel dumb.  We also got the Senible Safety Star because laws like "machineguns are legal as long as they aren't select fire" makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#28]
When I heard we got an "F" yesterday on the radio, I took it as a compliment.  But now it'll probably become a public issue for the liberals, especially with our newly elected liberal governor.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#29]
OKLAHOMA D-
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
KS gets a C+. Based on the scoring criteria, I wish it was an F.

From the story:
Unfortunately, once again 29 states received grades of D or F in this year's report card. Not surprisingly, many of these states have child and teen firearm death rates that are higher than the national average.
View Quote

Without getting into the "child and teen firearm death rates" issue, by definition, wouldn't about half of the states have to be higher than average, and about half of the states lower than average?

Statistics are used by most people in the way a lamppost is used by a drunk: more for support than illumination.
View Quote
This crap about states having child and teen firearm deaths is completely made up by these assholes.

The grades have nothing to do with crime rates, it has to do with how tough their gun laws are.  That is the ONLY criteria the Brady Bunch used.  Factual crime figures do not enter into anything they say or do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Come on, Grock...

You know that Comrade daley is right in banning guns outright..

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, the Brady Bunch.  Oh wait, those are the people they feel sorry for, not law abiding citizens.  As I said, these grades are based on how tough each state's gun laws are, not on any kind of crime statistics.  These people just make up shit as they go, facts are merely a hindrance to them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn, Texas only got a D-.  I won't be happy until we're number 1 - no wait - I mean number 50.

Texas.

D- and proud of it.  [:)]

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
No, the Brady Bunch.  Oh wait, those are the people they feel sorry for, not law abiding citizens.  As I said, these grades are based on how tough each state's gun laws are, not on any kind of crime statistics.  These people just make up shit as they go, facts are merely a hindrance to them.
View Quote

I know what you'ew saying, but I'm curious...what factors into the NRA's report card?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Can't understand Vermont only getting a D.    Carry laws are the simplest and most liberal.  Maybe it's mitigated by it's rural reputation.  Brady folks mainly are afraid of minorities having a firearm.  Whites already have em.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#36]
[url]www.bradycampaign.org/facts/research/states/index.asp[/url]

Go here and click on your state.  They have some sort of statistical voodoo they do with the stats.  CA statistics do not even add correctly in the totals column.  Funky shit.

Vermont, with a population of 585,000 had 5 homicides, less than 1 in 100,000.  CA had over 1600 homicides, with a population of 31,600,000 for a rate of 20 per 100,000 and Ariz had 292 murders in a population of 4,200,000 for a rate of 14 per 100,000.

CA gets an A for a homicide rate over 20 times that of Vermont, which gets a D-.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Proof positive my state is on the right track, LA got a big fat F.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Alaska has a D-.  How do we rate a D-?  

Here, in all the debates where gun control is brought up, the candidate that brings it up gets laughed out because NO gun control measure will ever be brought up.

I bet even Tony Knowles, our next Senator in 2004 would rather not have to vote on gun control.  Yeah, Lisa Murkowski is roadkill in 2 years.        
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Washington State is D+. I'm sure that Bagdad Trent Lott and Osama's Pet Patti Murray are responsible for this travesty. We should be a solid, irredeemable F-.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#40]
We have something to be proud of.....[size=4] F IN ALABAMA!![/size=4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Makes you feel sorry for the teachers pet, Maryland.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When I heard we got an "F" yesterday on the radio, I took it as a compliment.  But now it'll probably become a public issue for the liberals, especially with our newly elected liberal governor.
View Quote

Look at the bright side, it's just more proof that Maine (even Lewiston *) really is better than [8P]Vermont[8P]. [party]    [:D]

* because of their gun-related ordinances

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#43]
a fat F
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Wyoming
F  Wooohoooo!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#45]
A- for the Aloha State.  No Aloha for the gun owners though.  I thought for sure it would be an A+.  Damn liberal idiots...
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#46]
It's nice to see Sarah and her crowd think as much of us in Louisiana as we do of her.We got an F. Yehaw!

BTW - Sarah Brady , would you hit it? Yes or no?

JUST KIDDING!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I didn't realize the NC had a C.  Pisses me off.  I'm going to write my Congressman.  I want an F.  I use to get them in school all the time.

Rambosky

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:58:55 AM EDT
[#48]
States with A's need to be nuked off the map.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Must be we are doing something wrong. VT got a D-, and I was hopeing for an F
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top