Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 12:02:27 PM EDT
I understand that loud sounds can be dangerous to hearing. I understand that there are some different types of weapons available to ships in the military or even maybe Law Enforcement to manage riots or attacks, But is there any other physical damage that can be done to a person due to loud noises?  Maybe effects from concussion of sound?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I understand that loud sounds can be dangerous to hearing. I understand that there are some different types of weapons available to ships in the military or even maybe Law Enforcement to manage riots or attacks, But is there any other physical damage that can be done to a person due to loud noises?
View Quote

A bomb blast is a sound that kills you....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you stand next to the space shuttle taking off your insides will melt
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Melt is not the right word, but yes you will die.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I am to understand diving near active sonar is bad ju-ju. I don't know about deadly.
Anyone clarify?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending the frequency, if a sound if loud enough it can cause you to not be able to breathe and go into cardiac arrest.

Here is the answer
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
A-6 Intruder or EA-6B Prowler at full power on a catapult on an aircraft carrier.......
known to make grown men feel nauseous and weak.... literally
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe LRAD?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depending the frequency, if a sound if loud enough it can cause you to not be able to breathe and go into cardiac arrest.

Here is the answer
View Quote

How in the hell did that just happen, I clicked your link.

Totally side tracked now. Thanks.

Found this,,,,The question is, is 154 decibels enough to kill you? In all honesty, probably not — unless, perhaps, you were stuck with your head inside the horn for a prolonged period. 150 decibels is usually considered enough to burst your eardrums, but the threshold for death is usually pegged at around 185-200 dB. A passenger car driving by at 25 feet is about 60 dB, being next to a jackhammer or lawn mower is around 100 dB, a nearby chainsaw is 120 dB. Generally, 150 dB (eardrum rupture) is only achieved if you stand really close to a jet aircraft during take-off or you’re near an explosive blast.

Crazy.

And I found other references that stated if you were standing next to a space ship as it launched you could die from the noise, as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
A .50BMG bullet will kill you from the sound if it flies within six inches of you, right?

Or have the guys at the LGS been lying to me?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Sound is a pressure wave. You bet your ass it'll be lethal at some level.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The deck of an aircraft carrier at full flight operations without hearing protection is supposedly lethal, or so I have heard.

Don't know if that is correct or not.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The deck of an aircraft carrier at full flight operations without hearing protection is supposedly lethal, or so I have heard.

View Quote

No,

not unless you get disoriented and stagger into an Intake, or over the side.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand that loud sounds can be dangerous to hearing. I understand that there are some different types of weapons available to ships in the military or even maybe Law Enforcement to manage riots or attacks, But is there any other physical damage that can be done to a person due to loud noises?

+100 INTERNETZ
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No,

Truth, but I promise this, if you stand between the waist cats of a carrier and a couple of Prowlers are turning up, I guarantee it'll shake your very being.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I understand that loud sounds can be dangerous to hearing. I understand that there are some different types of weapons available to ships in the military or even maybe Law Enforcement to manage riots or attacks, But is there any other physical damage that can be done to a person due to loud noises?  Maybe effects from concussion of sound?
View Quote

Shock wave from air-fuel explosive does the job just fine.

Being to close to ANY blast will put your lights out permanently from the shock wave.
The shock wave has to hit you though.

The old dynamite on a sheet of plywood and you under the plywood works since the blast cannot reach you directly.

Buddy was in Kuwait and saw Iraqi tank crews in dugouts sitting dead.
An air-fuel had created enough pressure to instantly kill them.
Some still had warm tea on the table in front of them.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Sound is a shock wave.  Shock waves can kill.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A .50BMG bullet will kill you from the sound if it flies within six inches of you, right?

Or have the guys at the LGS been lying to me?

View Quote

I'm sure some of you have seen the War Film "Restrepo". Well on some of the extra scenes, a airborne infantry combat vetran who spent 15 months in the Korengal mentions how he fired the weapon multiple times and how he "has heard that a 50 cal round only has to be within 18 inches of you to sear flesh"  later on going to say how the round doesnt even have to hit you to mess you up. That is what he has heard.

Now clearly that is beyond false. Anyone who has fired a 50 knows this. A bullet passing you from 18 inches away is not going to "sear flesh"
Yet I understand where someone could repeat this story and say " Well the infantryman on Restrepo said it and he knows alot more about that type of stuff than I do so it must be true." Especially someone at the local gun store.

He just says that he has heard that rumor. And my guess is, the fact that he said it on camera and maybe several people disagreed is the reason it was not shown in the actual film and only on the extras.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sound is a shock wave.  Shock waves can kill.
View Quote

Yep. Sound is a pressure wave that happens to be in a frequency range detectable by our ears.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I've heard of guys who were working around very loud aircraft, like B-58s doing full afterburner engine runs that go physically sick fro the low frequency sounds.  Never heard of anyone dying, but gut puking after only just few minutes of being near the aircraft, even with ear protection was serious enough, and supposedly continued exposure would result in loss of consciousness.  I guess continuing beyond that could lead to death, but again, I never heard of it happenning.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Sound waves cause pressure.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Ive been in vehicles that do 150+ DB at around 33hz, and as others have stated, It gets hard to breathe / swallow.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I was in the pits at an NHRA drag race. Everyone working on the cars wore gas masks and ear pro. Me being a lowly first timer in the pits, had no idea what was about to come of me when they decided to fire up one of the engines. I literally felt like the right side of my body was melting off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm pretty sure, yes.  Also someone mentioned radar/sonar.  I dunno, try it out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure, yes.  Also someone mentioned radar/sonar.  I dunno, try it out.
View Quote

Radar works in the RF or microwave range, IE: Mega Hertz if not Giga hertz.   Sonar is sound waves. 40-4k hz is audible, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

There used to be a test facility building at the Boeing Kent Space Center that had +3 feet thick concrete walls and doors to match.  It was designed to test satellites that would be launched by the space shuttle.  They had huge speakers inside the test facility that would "shout" at the satellite with shuttle-level launch noise levels to ensure they would survive the launch acoustic loads.

The inside of that test facility was considered lethal if anyone was inside during testing.

I have no idea if it's still there or still used for it's original purpose.  I've heard that Boeing had all but abandoned the Kent facility but have no direct knowledge.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Just something to keep in mind, decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale.  When you jump from ten to twenty decibels for example, it's not double the power.  It's ten times the power.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Didn't they do that in an episode of MacGyver?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#30]
OH PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE!

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#33]
A nuclear bomb is essentially a very loud noise caused by breaking apart atoms. Nuclear fusion, on the other hand, is silent. This is why the sun makes no noise. If it weren't so bright, we wouldn't even know it was there.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#34]
depends on the frequencies

I compete in car stereos and the system in my blazer does 158 db's at 36hz
have sat in a vehicle that does 160+ on music and while it hurts, won't do any real damage

really loud bass I can handle, really loud mids/highs on the other hand are a whole different story
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A nuclear bomb is essentially a very loud noise caused by breaking apart atoms. Nuclear fusion, on the other hand, is silent. This is why the sun makes no noise. If it weren't so bright, we wouldn't even know it was there.  
View Quote

Well, the vacuum between us and the sun probably keeps the noise down, too.

Unless my sarcasm meter is on the fritz again...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#36]
The XF-84H was quite possibly the loudest aircraft ever built (rivalled only by the Russian Tupolev Tu-95 "Bear" bomber[15]), earning the nickname "Thunderscreech" as well as the "Mighty Ear Banger".[16] On the ground "run ups", the prototypes could reportedly be heard 25 miles (40 km) away.[17] Unlike standard propellers that turn at subsonic speeds, the outer 24–30 inches of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller traveled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic boom that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards. The shock wave was actually powerful enough to knock a man down; an unfortunate crew chief who was inside a nearby C-47 was severely incapacitated during a 30-minute ground run.[17] Coupled with the already considerable noise from the subsonic aspect of the propeller and the dual turbines, the aircraft was notorious for inducing severe nausea and headaches among ground crews.[11] In one report, a Republic engineer suffered a seizure after close range exposure to the shock waves emanating from a powered-up XF-84H.[18]

The pervasive noise also severely disrupted operations in the Edwards AFB control tower by risking vibration damage to sensitive components and forcing air traffic personnel to communicate with the XF-84H's crew on the flight line by light signals. After numerous complaints, the Air Force Flight Test Center directed Republic to tow the aircraft out on Rogers Dry Lake, far from the flight line, before running up its engine.[13] The test program did not proceed further than the manufacturer's Phase I proving flights, consequently no USAF test pilots flew the XF-84H. With the likelihood that the engine and equipment failures coupled with the inability to reach design speeds and subsequent instability experienced were insurmountable problems, the USAF cancelled the program in September 1956.[19]
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Absolutely.

Sound is just energy propagated through air.

Place your hand in front of a speaker without touching it.  Feel that?  That's force against your hand.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

What did you say?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
depends on the frequencies

I compete in car stereos and the system in my blazer does 158 db's at 36hz
have sat in a vehicle that does 160+ on music and while it hurts, won't do any real damage

really loud bass I can handle, really loud mids/highs on the other hand are a whole different story
View Quote

Awesome. I'm interested in hearing about your setup. PM sent.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I've wanted to kill punks with loud car stereos. Does that count?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've wanted to kill punks with loud car stereos. Does that count?
View Quote

You should be a poster child for responsible gun ownership.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"become homogenized?"
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A-6 Intruder or EA-6B Prowler at full power on a catapult on an aircraft carrier.......
known to make grown men feel nauseous and weak....
View Quote

WITH AROUSAL.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am to understand diving near active sonar is bad ju-ju. I don't know about deadly.
Anyone clarify?
View Quote

Yes I used to work at port ops in Norfolk and we would send out messages every day from shipt to ships to let them know about sonar ops.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#46]
The sound of a round being racked into a shotgun has been known to kill home invaders DRT.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over pressure is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I think we have to define terms.

Is a "sound" a sustained train of waves in the atmosphere, or can a single pressure pulse be called a "sound"?

Is any disturbance in the atmosphere a "sound" whether it is audible to the human ear or not?

The word has been applied to both situations here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top