Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 7:59:01 AM EDT
Anyone?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that the  single shot conversion deal from the 70's?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah!

Wanted one BAD!

Now though, do not want.

Unless I can get an AMT Hardballer frame to put it on.
Or an Essex frame.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
No.

And I thought, for sure, this was gonna be a Crossfire MK-1 thread.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that the  single shot conversion deal from the 70's?
View Quote
Mid 80's to early 90's if I remember right.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah as a silhouette shooter I saw a few at the range/competitions now and then but still mostly TC/Contenders and converted Remington XP's..I wanted one never got around to getting one..think they were like $300 or under back in the day if that.. Delta Force use to sell these amongst others.Trying to think of all the calibers they used to come in .44mag, and 7mm T/C or BR  maybe and I think  30/30 and 35 Remington and a few others as well?(.223 and .308) Been awhile..not sure..yeah turn your 1911 into a single shot Although admittedly a bad ass single shot!

I do remember the recoil was pretty good on these for folks shooting the rifle calibers and even the .44's as the 1911 frame just was not heavy enough to soak up the recoil generated by the rounds. The action was strong with no problems and  the barrels were reasonably accurate and for what they were (a way for a guy with just a 1911 to go pistol silhouette shooting or big game hunting on the weekends with his pistol ) they worked just fine. The Hogue grips on the frame make a BIG difference..believe me you DONT want standard type wood checkered rosewood grips when you touch one off on these with the artillery barrel attached to it LOL! Am sure it makes a great conversation piece as most would go WTF is that?

Edited to add..found an old article/review from when they first came out original 4 calibers were .223 Remington, 7mm Bench Rest Remington, .308 Winchester and .44 Magnum
and the barrel/conversion units listed for $290 without sights and $320 with  

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+Dominator+bolt-action+powerhouse%3b+Pachmayr's+new+conversion+kit...-a03705655

Later on they were offered in a few other calibers and some gunsmiths liked to tinker with or re chamber them as well. Dedicated bolt pistols like the old Wichita Silhouette pistols  or the extremely
rare Weatherby pistol usually did better in the unlimited matches.Other guns like the TC/Contender and the Merrill pistol were used as well Most 40x40 shooters used converted Remington XP
pistols re chambered and rebarreled to 7mm BR and once everyone was shooting perfect scores the appeal of the sport of long range handgun metallic silhouette shooting kind of died down.

FWIW shooting next to a .308 pistol is obnoxious.. I remember one match the guy next to me hit the railroad tie that you had to shoot the rams off and knocked all 5 of the targets down.. unfortunately it didint count for him LOL!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh yeah!

Wanted one BAD!

Now though, do not want.

Unless I can get an AMT Hardballer frame to put it on.

Or an Essex frame.

View Quote
I bet a Norinco frame would work well.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, it's been over an hour.

That is a 1911 with a Pachmayr Dominator kit on it.  Single shot, bolt action .308.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is a 1911 with a Pachmayr Dominator kit on it.  Single shot, bolt action .308.
View Quote

Had no idea it was a trivia contest.

As I recal they were available in all sorts of calibers.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope. Never seen it before. Lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the Pachmayr kits had a rotating breech? Or was that some other?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top