Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 6:49:10 AM EDT
Interesting read. And, yes, your local PD probably does have a Stingray.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/12/us-pushing-local-cops-to-stay-mum-on-surveillance/
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope and no your police probably don't.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just trying to stay mum?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just trying to stay mum?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just trying to stay mum?

Nope. Just don't have fancy shit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And, yes, your local PD probably does have a Stingray.
View Quote

lol, no
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#7]
the US Marshalls have seized state records to keep them from being released via a FOIA request

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/06/judge-allows-us-marshals-seizure-of-stingray-records-dimisses-lawsuit/
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The state police have the technology here. I'm sure inter-agency co-operation would make it available to the locals.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Android App, CellMapper

I've cruised around mapping where the towers are. If you watch it regularly you can identify via triangulation if/where a stingray is hijacking your cell service.

We should have a competition to see who can find a stingray first.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#10]
None here that I am aware of
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Android App, CellMapper

View Quote

I've cruised around mapping where the towers are. If you watch it regularly you can identify via triangulation if/where a stingray is hijacking your cell service.

We should have a competition to see who can find a stingray first.

the ones i've read about are hand-held units that are accurate enough to let LEOs know what room a phone is in

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Not positive about stingrays but I'd guess they did come w/ the plate scanners that came in locally.  City got an $80K dhs payout and they've been putting the plate scanners to good use.  I also found out 2 times last week that my plate is related to a suspended license, yet me and my wife have no problems with our licenses......  Last cop said I should fix the problem.  "Ok, how do I do that?"  "Well...............I'm not sure, gotta go."  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I also found out 2 times last week that my plate is related to a suspended license, yet me and my wife have no problems with our licenses......  Last cop said I should fix the problem.  "Ok, how do I do that?"  "Well...............I'm not sure, gotta go."  
View Quote

In before the upcoming felony stop.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure my area has all sorts of crazy shit that no one knows about....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I also found out 2 times last week that my plate is related to a suspended license, yet me and my wife have no problems with our licenses......  Last cop said I should fix the problem.  "Ok, how do I do that?"  "Well...............I'm not sure, gotta go."  
View Quote

Our plate reader only gave a response to the plate, not persons associated with it
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sure my area has all sorts of crazy shit that no one knows about....
View Quote

Lol no shit. Nova? I'm in Fairfax, how about you?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our local PD probably doesn't. the Sheriff Dept most likely does.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#18]
One of the Pittsburgh news stations did a big article on it being in widespread use in our area

That article appears to have been since removed off the interwebs

Go figure
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Most likely, we are the 911 call center for several surrounding juristications and the rich kids on the block.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering about that the second time, but thankfully the cops were really cool both times.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that trend continues.  But don't worry, if there is a felony stop I'll start a drama laden thread in GD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top