Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 10:18:40 AM EDT
What would happen if you got caught trying to bring a box of Cuban cigars into the U.S.?  I assume they would at least confiscate them, but what else?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
i wouldnt waste my money or time. the dominican cigars are as good if not better. try the A Fuentes. for a smooth inexpensive smoke try the joya de nicaragua robosto(maduro wrapped) .  
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I think they only confiscate unless you are bringing in cases of cigars in.

Cuban cigars are fun to smoke, but they aren't any better than the good Dominicans.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard that Cuban cigars are more hype than quality. Padron from Nicaraguas are awesome, only about $4 each, and perfectly legal.

To answer your original question, however, if you bring in a box of cigars and you get caught, the officer who found them will confiscate them and destroy them......

.....one by one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I was just wondering.

cohiba, I just had an A Fuentes last night for the first time!  I might try the Short Story tonight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...the dominican cigars are as good if not better.
View Quote

Quoted:
Cuban cigars are fun to smoke, but they aren't any better than the good Dominicans.
View Quote

Quoted:
I've heard that Cuban cigars are more hype than quality.
View Quote

You guys must not smoke the good Cubans.
There are very few Dominican or other non-Cubans that even come close to a Top Notch Cuban.
No way.  You just haven't smoked enough.  

[b]Cohiba Robusto, Esplendido

Partagas#4

Bolivar Belicoso Fino

Montecristo #2[/b]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p36c145174a2d38f8bf017f126754ed6d/fd7c727f.jpg[/img]

There are no Non Cubans that come close.
Davidoff tries, but not even close.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Note that I said, "I've heard". I admit that I am a complete novice at cigars, just 2 short of being completely cherry.

However, guys I know who ARE big cigar types say that.

As time passes and I try a few, I'll let you know! [;)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Bought a box of Romeo et Juliet in Hong Kong.  They have plain white boxes available for just this occasion.  Back at the hotel I removed them from the tube, removed the band and put them into the white box. NO customs problem at all!  If it's marked Cuban they will be confiscated.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Where do you plan to get them from?  If you go to Jamaica (for example) and buy a box of cubans, take the rings off, put them in a Jamaican box, and in the checked baggage.  No problem.  There is no way to prove a cuban is a cuban.  Besides, they will just take them away anyway.  No jail time. or fine

A Fuente Don Carlos Robuso kicks a Cuban Cohiba Robusto Explenditos a$$.

Expecially when smoked enjoying a neat glass of Macallan's Scotch on the beach in Grand Cayman.

Jimno

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]

There are very few Dominican or other non-Cubans that even come close to a Top Notch Cuban.

lets not compare kia to caddies. top notch dom's or top notch cuban?
i'll take an opus or a hemmingway anyday over a cohiba. even if it is my birthright.

]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]

i'll take an opus or a hemmingway anyday over a cohiba. even if it is my birthright.

]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

]
View Quote

Opus X is the king, Partagas 150's being queen. But... there is a certain mystique that comes with a Cubano, kinda like a preban AR.

Oh and www.absolutecigars.com is a potential source of Cubans.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What would happen if you got caught trying to bring a box of Cuban cigars into the U.S.?  I assume they would at least confiscate them, but what else?
View Quote

If you have the right people bring them in it's no trouble at all,I don't really know cuz I don't really have a box right now.

[):)]viva cigars !
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I've tried Cuban cigars and personally don't get the hype. Maybe its just the bragging rights, I don't know. In Panama the local smoke shop had a big fat Jamacian in a hand carved box for $45. Ain't no friggin way!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Macanudo is a good smoke. I like the Robust Baron De Rothchilds........

Tons of great brands out there now that aren't Cuban.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I was at Key West FL not too long ago and saw a lot of Cohiba's. Im sure you can get them there still.

HTH

BTW CUBAN Cig's rock!
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends, may not even get confiscated by the inspector.  AUSA probably wouldnt touch you. Now if you were busted several hundred pounds.  

If you want Cuban cigars just come to Cuba...I mean Miami.  I am sure you can find some.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

]
View Quote

Personally, I don't think the Opus, and certainly not the Hemingway, come come within a mile of a Cohiba Esplendido...

....but, we all have different tastes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#18]

As far as penalties, they will confiscate your smokes, bring you into the supervisor's office and read you the riot act, and then let you go.
As far as Cuban vs. Dominican/Nic/Hon, each of these countries have a flavor profile, the biggest problem with Cuban smokes are construction problems, they are still in the process of upgrading their quality control to the level of the other nations.

I have found the best way to get good Cuabn cigars is to find a reputable on-line dealer and have them Fed-exed to your front door.

S-I
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Macanudo is a good smoke. I like the Robust Baron De Rothchilds........
View Quote

EEWWWWWW!! Macanudos!! That's like smoking air.

Padron
A.Fuentes
Ashton
CAO
Just to name a few good ones.

As far as the Cubans, they are way to expensive when compared to some of the Non-Cubans that are excellent.

I believe if you travel to Canada, you can bring up to 50 cigars back with you as duty free. Whether they are Cubans or not is not to be disclosed willingly [:)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Cincinnatus, I'm with ya pal, nothing comes close to a good cuban. These guys have not had a real cuban,  or are in denial because of cost or non-availabilty or legality. Opus X, while a good smoke , is the most hyped and overpriced cigar there is.
I smoke both cubans and non-cubans. If I was rich I would never smoke a non-cuban again.

I'd take a Cohiba Esplendido (or any handmade cuban Cohiba for that matter) or BBF or Montecristo #2 or Partegas Series D or RASS  over any non-cuban smoke, even Opus X and especially the Hemingway, anyday.

I think most cuban cigar bashers have not had a real cuban. There are more counterfeit cuban cigars in Miami and Mexico then real cuban cigars.

If you really want to talk cigars, go over to cigaraficionado.com, plenty of cigar lovers there that will give you the real scoop on cubans and how good they really are.

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was at Key West FL not too long ago and saw a lot of Cohiba's. Im sure you can get them there still.

HTH

BTW CUBAN Cig's rock!
View Quote

Cohibas ( especially Esplendidos ) are the single most counterfieted cigar on the face of the planet ( and probably a few other planets ). If you are not buying them from a legitimate Habanos dealer you are getting fakes. Watch out for the infamous "glass top" Esplendidos.

S-I
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#22]
What would happen if you got caught trying to bring a box of Cuban cigars into the U.S.? I assume they would at least confiscate them, but what else?
View Quote

If you fail to declare them and they're found.  Then they're siezed and held for evidence because you'll be paying a fine for failing to declare and smuggling (if the inspector wants).

If you declare them, then they're seized and you just fill out a form.  They can't fine you.  Sometimes they make you destroy them so they won't be accused of taking them for personal use.

You get bagged for failing to declare them, not just having them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#23]
You can't go wrong with a Padron. Cuban cigars are spotty in terms of construction quality and there are loads of fake cigars which are not Cuban. The good ones are really good but wait until you get a more experience since they are usually strong.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Here in Humansville, MO we only smoke Swisher Sweets.  MMmmmmmmm....sweeeeeeet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cohibas ( especially Esplendidos ) are the single most counterfieted cigar on the face of the planet ( and probably a few other planets ). If you are not buying them from a legitimate Habanos dealer you are getting fakes...
View Quote

...which is why you should smoke MANY, MANY good Cubans.  Develope a taste.  Know the "look", as well.
The only people who get ripped off are those who don't know any better.
Buy from reputable shops, and in Duty-Free areas of airports.  Know your labels and box seals.

The difference between a Bolivar Belicoso Fino, and an Arturo Fuente Hemingway, is like the difference between a prime, dry-aged porterhouse, and a steak from Sizzler.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been fortunate to have tried many cuban cigars and there is a difference. I usually get in a group purchase with a few guys and buy a few boxes of different brands. It's a great way to try many different cigars.
When you see the box, you will know if its fake or not.
Check out the cigar aficionado site. Join a cigar club.
Hang with guys who appreciate a good smoke not the posers. I gave some as a gift and this guy just stuffed it in his front pocket which of course wrecked the cigar. For those, you give them your second rate stuff.
I like my Sancho Panza and Punch. For an inexpensive cuban, we buy the Diplomaticos a lot.
Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife was an INS Inspector at Dulles Airport outside of Washington DC.  When you disembark from the plane, they're the first tier for inspection. If they find cuban cigars in your baggage, they send you over to a U.S. Customs Inspector.  Customs will go through [i]everything[/i].  Typically, Cubanos are only confiscated from passengers.  Fines are possible, but my wife never heard of any for that offense.  Just don't try it with heroin!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#28]
In my case, I think the perception of Cubans being better then non-Cubans is fuelled by the fact that when I have a Cuban I'm in a foriegn country on an adventure eating and drinking better than I do at home (the budget goes out the window).

Best cigar expirience ever:  Montecristo #2 in Galway Ireland during street party after horse races.

I've had the Cohiba Esplindido state side and while it was good it wasn't combined with the the rest of the senses to create an unforegettable smoke.

Usually, I smoke the inexpensive La Gloria Cubana Churchill with great satifaction, relatively.

Kent
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm a cigar smoker.
I travel alot and have several cigar dealers out of the states that I buy from regularly.
Cuban cigars are the best smoke by far (for me any way).
With all the counterfiet Cubans and the occasional quality control Cubans comparring (sp?)cigars can not be done by the occasional smoker.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cohibas ( especially Esplendidos ) are the single most counterfieted cigar on the face of the planet ( and probably a few other planets ). If you are not buying them from a legitimate Habanos dealer you are getting fakes...
View Quote

...which is why you should smoke MANY, MANY good Cubans.  Develope a taste.  Know the "look", as well.
The only people who get ripped off are those who don't know any better.
Buy from reputable shops, and in Duty-Free areas of airports.  Know your labels and box seals.

The difference between a Bolivar Belicoso Fino, and an Arturo Fuente Hemingway, is like the difference between a prime, dry-aged porterhouse, and a steak from Sizzler.

View Quote

I couldn't have said it better. Habanos rock!! I smoke a lot of cigars and about %95 (mostly Partagas and Trinidad) are cuban, the rest are Fuente and Padron. [smoke]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In my case, I think the perception of Cubans being better then non-Cubans is fuelled by the fact that when I have a Cuban I'm in a foriegn country on an adventure eating and drinking better than I do at home (the budget goes out the window).

Best cigar expirience ever:  Montecristo #2 in Galway Ireland during street party after horse races.

I've had the Cohiba Esplindido state side and while it was good it wasn't combined with the the rest of the senses to create an unforegettable smoke.

Usually, I smoke the inexpensive La Gloria Cubana Churchill with great satifaction, relatively.

Kent
View Quote

For me, it's only about taste, complexity, and strength, and that is where the cubans really come through.

I smoke plenty of premium non-cubans, my favorites being:

Ashton VSG
CAO Odyssey
Camacho Diplomas
Padron '64 Anniversary
Fuente Don Carlos
Fuente Opus X

But I would take a good cuban over any of those, anyday.

And for a cheap daily type smoke I enjoy the El Rico Habanos and the La Gloria Cubanas.

You haven't experienced cigar heaven until you try a aged 80's Davidoff Dom Perignon (cuban of course) with a nice XO Cognac.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#32]
My previous post noted that I bought Romeo et Juliets in Hong Kong.  On the previous trip I bought 10 of them in Taipe.  Those smokes knocked me on my ass!  Back home my friends that I gave some to wanted more, hence the box from Hong Kong.  The box wasn't anything like the Taipe versions, no kick at all!  
I'm nervous about bringing some back from Taipe again.  I don't want no dog sitting on my lap at Customs!  
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#33]
A friend of mine (really - I wouldn't spend the money) has purchased Cuban cigars online from Canada.  Their position was: its not illegal for us to send them to you, you just have to deal with your own laws.  No problems to date.  That having been said, unless you are a serious smoker, I would not go out of my way for Cubans.  Yes, they are the best (I always notice the strength of them), but not necessarily worth the ridiculous ammounts people want to charge for them, even overseas.

Chew Red Man instead.  Much cheaper, and spitting is actually quite fun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Ashton maduro
****romeo-juleita cedro # 2**** good smoke great price
Fuentes !
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
EEWWWWWW!! Macanudos!! That's like smoking air.

Padron
A.Fuentes
Ashton
CAO
Just to name a few good ones.

As far as the Cubans, they are way to expensive when compared to some of the Non-Cubans that are excellent.

I believe if you travel to Canada, you can bring up to 50 cigars back with you as duty free. Whether they are Cubans or not is not to be disclosed willingly [:)]
View Quote

Not the Rubost line or the Maduro line.......A bit more flava......

Plus I was only referring to a day to day smoke. I'm not smoking 1-3 $10-20 Cigars a day, just cant afford it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top