Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2014 5:39:36 PM EDT
I've welded some in the past and was decent at it. I'm looking for a utility trailer and thought I would build one exactly how I want it.
So, I'll need a welder. I have 220 in the garage, prefer wirefed and with gas. How cheap can I get one, and still have a decent welder?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Lincoln Weld Pak

Had one for about a year now, it works fantastic for me.  I got it on special for about $500

Weld Pak
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The Hobarts at Tractor supply/Northern tool are not bad.  You can get a Lincoln MIG in 220 for around $600, then add in another $50 for a cart and $30 or so for a gas bottle rental.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
look at duty cycle rate......    the cheap ones  you will take a 3 month to weld a trailer.         they cost more  but I have 100% duty cycle welders .
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Eastwood 175. It's a great piece of equipment for the price.

I also have a Millermatic, of course it's great.. but no complaints about the Eastwood.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy the best lincoln you can afford for gmaw/fcaw.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

look at duty cycle rate......    the cheap ones  you will take a 3 month to weld a trailer.         they cost more  but I have 100% duty cycle welders .
View Quote
To get 100% duty cycle you damn near need to have 3 phase (unless youre getting a stick machine)

Your good 220V machines will get you 60% duty cycle

The "cheaper" 110V machines will get you about 40%

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Do not waste your time getting a smaller machine.  If you want to build a trailer and you have 220 then get a good machine.  Any of the larger Power MIGs (180 or larger) from Lincoln would work well for you as would the Miller Millermatic 212 and up.

Most of these units will run longer than the duty cycle suggests with no damage to the machine.  They also have the amps and will run wire large enough for you to weld up a trailer rather easily without having to do multiple passes. .035 wire would be the smallest I'd run to build a trailer.

Also read the owners manual !!!

I cannot tell you how many machines come in to our shop to be repaired and it's simply something that the owners manual tells you to do prior to doing something else!!

http://superiorserviceweldingsupply.com/
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a Miller 180 about a dozen years ago and is has worked great for everything I've needed it for. 1/8th plate is easy if you remember to turn off your gas when your done and don't let it run out....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Miller 211MVP, can run on 240 or 120 will weld 3/8" in a single pass and the duty cycle is usable. This unit also has AutoSet so you can set the wire size and dial the material thickness and off you go.

Alternatively for a bit less is the Hobart 210MVP difference is the Miller is continuous variable voltage and the Hobart has Voltage Taps.

Get a big bottle of gas... 40CF should be portable enough and 80 for home...
and a 20 for emergencies when you run out in the big bottle and the LWS is closed...

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Miller 211MVP, can run on 240 or 120 will weld 3/8" in a single pass and the duty cycle is usable. This unit also has AutoSet so you can set the wire size and dial the material thickness and off you go.

Alternatively for a bit less is the Hobart 210MVP difference is the Miller is continuous variable voltage and the Hobart has Voltage Taps.

Get a big bottle of gas... 40CF should be portable enough and 80 for home...

and a 20 for emergencies when you run out in the big bottle and the LWS is closed...

View Quote
It was a tossup for me a 211 or a thermal arc  181i. I picked up the thermal arc cause it has been handy to have stick and mig. don't have a fig torch yet but someday.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#11]
My uncle is a welder . You could probably get him pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll also recommend a Miller in the 175+ amp range.  I've used a MM175 for everything from 20 ga. up to 1/4''.  You can probably find a good used one for under $500.  Infinite voltage and wire speed adjustability is now common and is a great feature.  As for duty cycle, I don't recall what the duty cycle is on the machine, but I have never exceeded it.  I've built car frames and fixed tractor loaders, etc., and I've never found a situation where I had to run a continuous bead for so long a timespan that it would trouble the machine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:16:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Millermatic 180 with autoset should do ya. If you have the coin the next step up is a great value (the MVP unit)  I weld with a miller 250 at work and my 180 at home, the 180 is a joy to run. Soft start, smooth arc feeds really well, easy to take care of.

Hobart is owned by miller, it's the economy line. I wouldn't feel bad owning one of those either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Miller or Lincoln 220v.  If you are patient, and act fast, you can get a good deal off craigs list.  I bought a nearly new Lincoln a few years ago for $350 which is about half what they are new.   I have used the shit out of it without a hiccup.   Just be sure to spring for a big tank of gas.  Makes life a lot easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top