Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 3:45:49 PM EDT
I just put my little window unit in today , it was so damned muggy , and lo and behold....she's running like a champ . I really didnt expect to get all summer out of it last year , and sure enough she ran all summer .

Bought this one at WalMart when I first moved into the apartment in Manchester , NH, back in about 2006 . On sale for just under $100 , IIRC.

What's the longest you've managed to make one last ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Going on 5 years in my pantry in my smoking hot garage.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a wx unit last 4 years.

My standup unit is on year 5.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
We had one when I was a teenager that lasted until I was in my late 20's, so probably 10-12 years at least.

Haven't owned one since, figured that was normal but apparently like all other appliances they all suck balls now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Just replaced a little 5,000 BTU unit after 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
23 YEARS
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
We put both ours in today as well. They are both 11 years old and running good. One of them was bought as a reconditioned unit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Have had the window unit I have now for 2 years.  No sign of going bad yet.  I'd expect another 2 years at least given how reliable it's been so far.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have rental property and they use window units.
I have some well over 10 years old and I have a couple that are close to 20.
The newer units are very cheaply made but I am pretty good at repairing them as long as they don't have a digital control panel that fails.
Biggest problem is that the inside of the condenser will develop a blanket of dirt on it and cause the compressor overheat fuse to pop.
Most of the time you clean the condenser, replace the fuse and you are off and running.
That said I have had a few that were not able to be saved!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]

I have two in the back wall of my garage. One took a shit about two years ago (fan locked up). Its was about 7 years old. The other one get used less and its 9 years old. The new one is 24,000 and the older one is 18,500.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My understanding is that efficiency has increased at such a rate that replacing a unit that is more than five years old makes sense based on energy savings alone.

My parents have two that are ten years old and still in use.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
We have two that are 7 years old this year and still going strong.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
My window AC unit is around 12 years old and can still make me uncomfortably cold.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
15 years so far for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I lived in a house that had Ford air conditioners in several rooms. They were all 1968 models If I remember, and all but one worked 100%.

ETA: I moved out in 2000.

I can still remember the freezing cold air smell from them. They had woodgrain paneling.

Right now I have a $100 GE from Sam's that is stumbling on it's second year. It'll be dead before the heat lets up.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#15]
18 years on a somewhat large Friedrich heat/ac unit at my grandmother's house.  In 2009, though, I had to put a new blower motor in there.  It was cold at the time, and there wasn't a heat/ac unit to be found anywhere, so we considered the motor cost to be worth it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Got one in the bedroom along with regular HVAC it is friggin cold in our room.
I sleep in a Boggin and the cat has chased Penguins off our bed.
Its been going about 9 months out of the year for the last 4 or 5 yrs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

23 YEARS
View Quote

Back when things were a little more apt to be made half decent , and made mostly here still.

I bought my parents their first AC for their 25th Anniversary , 25 years ago . A mid-priced Kenmore window unit about $600 then.... and my mom says it's still chuggin along .

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My window AC unit is around 12 years old and can still make me uncomfortably cold.
View Quote

Man, isn't that the best feeling? When it's hot as balls outside and you come into the cold for a little while, and you finally hit that point like "Awww yeah, I'm actually going to have to turn this bitch down."

That's how I knew I had a good, long delivery when I was a pizza boy. ETA: Except NEVER turn down the fucking A/C!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a big really heavy one that I got in 99 or 2000
I stopped using it last year because I wanted one that didn't weigh as much and I figured a new one would be more energy efficient
that big one still works though
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Man, isn't that the best feeling? When it's hot as balls outside and you come into the cold for a little while, and you finally hit that point like "Awww yeah, I'm actually going to have to turn this bitch down."

That's how I knew I had a good, long delivery when I was a pizza boy. ETA: Except NEVER turn down the fucking A/C!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yeah!

The electric was included at the apartment I had in Tulsa for about a year

I kept that AC about 60deg ,24-7 for about 8-10 months out of 12 (when I wasnt on the road) ....it was an ice box.

The shop I worked for was open air but it seemed to get very little breeze  .

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I had one that was still working after 10-11 years but I could tell it was getting tired.  I replaced it and my power bill dropped by $15 that month, which was hotter than the last.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top