Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2014 2:17:45 PM EDT
I live in CO and I ordered something from AZ. I check the shipping update and they send it to Memphis and it departed from there two hours ago....Do they have to send to a major hub or something? Seems like it would make more sense if it's coming from AZ to go the other way?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
FedEx has large hubs in Memphis and Indianapolis.  I doubt they make the trip from  AZ  to CO direct. Ever.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Like the airlines...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
As said, yes, they use major hubs. It makes a lot more sense to do it that way than to run stuff all over the place.

That said, at my former job, we had a package overnighted from FL to OH... that took a full week. And went back and forth across the Atlantic. Twice.
So shit does happen occasionally.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I live in CO and I ordered something from AZ. I check the shipping update and they send it to Memphis and it departed from there two hours ago....Do they have to send to a major hub or something? Seems like it would make more sense if it's coming from AZ to go the other way?
View Quote

Everything goes to Memphis, then routed out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original plan for Federal Express was to put everything in business jets, collect all the packages from 25 cities, sort them (supposed to be in Arkansas - guess they fucked that one up pretty good) then put them on the appropriate jets to the recipient cities. Memphis gave them a better deal, so they put the sorting center there. It got bigger. When it started, you could not send a package from East Jabib to West Wahoo by Federal Express.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everything. A lot of fedex Express packages are trucked when it makes sense. Dallas to okc/tulsa, NYC to Boston and the like are trucked usually.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Watch the movie Castaway for all your answers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Memphis is THE hub.
If it gets on a plane it's going through Memphis.
You want point A to point B pony up for Custom Critical, it will go door to door same day or overnight no stupid detours. 24/7/365 ops.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everything.

They have 2 major hubs in the US.

The other being Indianapolis.

We have 10's, 11's, 757's, 777's etc. rolling out heavy every morning.

One side of IND is operated by FedEx; heck they basically get a run way to themselves.  They also use both runways when they roll out every morning.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Memphis is THE hub.
You want point A to point B pony up for Custom Critical, it will go door to door same day or overnight no stupid detours. 24/7/365 ops.

View Quote

Yeah, they have more than one hub now...

Skip to 1:15 in the video and you'll see the amount of aircraft operated out of IND by FedEx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1n0iC-rQk
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Memphis is THE hub.

This is true, there are many, I've seen a few, busy places, still 90% of what I've tracked from here and AK has gone thru Memphis and from there to wherever it got on the truck. Well except AK it'd change planes in Anc.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently had a UPS package come from Canada. It went to Detroit, then Ohio, then to my local hub....which is an hour north of Detroit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Flying Tigers for the win!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top