Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2014 9:46:24 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting one.  Anyone have any experience with these?  Anything to look for?

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Two Words:  Cardiac Science.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to keep them charged. Sometimes they will even say they are okay when they are not.

Though saying that it would be nice to have on in the car.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have no medical experience, get the most basic model out there--it will literally talk you through the entire code.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
They should mount them on every table at chain restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should mount them on every table at chain restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory.
View Quote

Dammit. Now I want cheesecake!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
May dad is a cardiologist and donated a handful to a bunch of the local high schools and their sports programs.

I could ask what models he suggest if you like?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
That would be great to have. Are they over $1000?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a good CPR/AED class.

The standard changes every time I qual.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I suggest taking a CPR course, they should cover the use of an AED. And if you're looking at buying an AED you should learn effective CPR as well.

Very simple to use and will talk you through the steps. It will analyze the patient's heart rhythm and advise if a shock is needed. Keep in mind, it's not a fix everything machine but they do increase odds of survival.  They're made to shock V fib and V Tac.

ETA: I'd also recommend getting a mouth to mask type device. A stranger won't be getting mouth to mouth from me.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Amazon linky
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You can get used ones for under $500 on eBay  all day long.  Companies like the one I work for frequently trade in perfect units for newer upgraded models.   The used ones are then sold my medical supply places for next to nothing.

This is the model used to save that little girl in the video.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARDIAC-SCIENCE-Powerheart-AED-G3-with-Pads-12-2014-/131195207130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8bd7fdda
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

May dad is a cardiologist and donated a handful to a bunch of the local high schools and their sports programs.

View Quote
Sure, that would be great.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I suggest taking a CPR course, they should cover the use of an AED. And if you're looking at buying an AED you should learn effective CPR as well.

Very simple to use and will talk you through the steps. It will analyze the patient's heart rhythm and advise if a shock is needed. Keep in mind, it's not a fix everything machine but they do increase odds of survival.  They're made to shock V fib and V Tac.

ETA: I'd also recommend getting a mouth to mask type device. A stranger won't be getting mouth to mouth from me.

http://first-aid-store.com/images/1/113140.jpg
View Quote

The last CPR class I took was in 2002 and there was no mention of an A.E.D. at that time.  I retired before the next required class so maybe I should go the the local Red Cross and take a class.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a VERY lucky young girl!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been watching the prices drop for years and waiting for the price point to get down under about $800. I think everyone over 50 (or with a history of heart disease) should have one of these in their home.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You can get used ones for under $500 on eBay  all day long.  Companies like the one I work for frequently trade in perfect units for newer upgraded models.   The used ones are then sold my medical supply places for next to nothing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARDIAC-SCIENCE-Powerheart-AED-G3-with-Pads-12-2014-/131195207130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8bd7fdda
View Quote

I saw those  and was wondering if they would be OK to have as opposed to a new one.  The cost savings is substantial but you really need to know if it is up to doing the job.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The last CPR class I took was in 2002 and there was no mention of an A.E.D. at that time.  I retired before the next required class so maybe I should go the the local Red Cross and take a class.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like someone mentioned before the class is updated pretty often, the last one I did with the AHA was last year and AED use was covered.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I was watching a lifepack 12 at auction, I thought it would be nice to be able to bang out 12 leads and everything whenever I wanted. It sold for quite a bit o' cashola . An aed would be nice to have around for a person with a heart problem who is always near a person thst can use an aed. You wont be using it on yourself .
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#20]
When I was a safety engineer at a large corp manufacturing site had medtronic units in various places in the plant and office areas. We never deployed one in a real life situation but we trained on them.  Usually when the bat and pads were about to expire and we had new ones in hand we would call up the red cross and they would come in to re-cert a bunch of people.  We would use our real units in the training so everyone could hear the voice prompts and handle the real equipment.

They are fairly easy to use and I'm sure they have gotten better since I used them.  We had fun situations like explosive or wet environments that posed some concerns but in normal public situations they can be real life savers.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Two Words: Cardiac Science.
View Quote

Yup.  We have these at work.  Completely idiot proof and tough.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting one.  Anyone have any experience with these?  Anything to look for?

http://youtu.be/jcPSqe-oxPM
View Quote

Why do you want to get one, most general public places now have them if your need them. Required by law, and in some cases they are becoming as common as a fire extinguisher.  I've seen them in the supermarket and churches as well as schools and where I work.
Remember these have to be maintained, batteries and all.

If for just home I would think CPR and 911 would be good unless you live in a really remote area that is hrs away from medical treatment and have a heart issue.

All the Cops I know have them in the patrol cars now just don't see the point in spending 4-6k for something that might get used once in a blue moon
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new ones talk to you and tell you the steps you need to take.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Cardiac science G3 plus is what we just installed at a couple offices

Eta:  just looked at the invoices and paid $6000 for four of them.

About another $400 to add Pediatric pads.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Take a good CPR/AED class.

The standard changes every time I qual.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#26]
The doc said 3% survival rate for children who have a cardiac event. That's actually pretty good. Young hearts bounce back better than old hearts. I've only heard of a couple code saves (person walks out of the hospital under their own power) in my area when the patient was over 30. Early AED application is huge for code saves.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why do you want to get one, most general public places now have them if your need them. Required by law, and in some cases they are becoming as common as a fire extinguisher.  I've seen them in the supermarket and churches as well as schools and where I work.

If for just home I would think CPR and 911 would be good unless you live in a really remote area that is hrs away from medical treatment and have a heart issue.

All the Cops I know have them in the patrol cars now just don't see the point in spending 4-6k for something that might get used once in a blue moon

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/jcPSqe-oxPM

Getting older, wife has minor heart issue, and we travel a lot by vehicle to some remote areas.  If you need it once in a blue moon, it's worth whatever they charge.  4-6K is not what I am looking at, even for a new one.  The new ones I've seen are around $1200.00.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I have one in my truck courtesy of the US Army. Was issued to me with a bunch of Class 8 that I could not turn back in to supply when I returned from my last my Afghanistan Vacation. I just pulled it out and tested it yesterday and it needs new batteries. Been 4 years already.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Just picked this one up
@ Aedsuperstore
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I am pushing work to get one. Not one in the building as far as I know and I work with a bunch of gray hair type As.  Costco and Amazon have sales on the Phillips model for around $900-$950 after rebates every now and again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I looked into getting one for my home, but they are $3K+ and require expensive periodic battery replacement.

ETA:  It's been a year or so, I guess prices have come down a bit.  I might actually be convinced to spring for one when they hit ~$500.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I saw those  and was wondering if they would be OK to have as opposed to a new one.  The cost savings is substantial but you really need to know if it is up to doing the job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most modern AED models do weekly self checks to ensure they'll perform.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I got one from the airport.
It was just hanging there in the concourse.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

What if you are in needs of a liitle
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, I looked into getting one for my home, but they are $3K+ and require expensive periodic battery replacement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be able to get for under $1200 and sometimes under $1k. You can also use your HRA/HSA savings to buy them. That said, I don't have one for my home yet... sometime soon I will though
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Do EXACTLY what it tells you to do, and do it when it says to do it!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is awesome. My Grandfather died in a father son basketball game in a high school gym. One of those may have saved him if they were around back then.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were using Physio Control and switched to Cardiac Science last year.   Cardiac Science is a superior machine by far.  We have a 100% save rate since we switched vs. an approx 70% with the older Physios.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We were using Physio Control and switched to Cardiac Science last year.   Cardiac Science is a superior machine by far.  We have a 100% save rate since we switched vs. an approx 70% with the older Physios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

any views on these vs the Philips model?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just picked this one up
@ Aedsuperstore
View Quote

At my old job (kidney dialysis, outpatient biomedical tech) we had this one.  I've used it several times to save or attempt to save a person who coded. I really like the Phillips both from a user standpoint and from a repair standpoint. It gives very clear instructions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Current guidelines call for high quality compressions, "hard and fast" at 100 bpm. They don't even really require the mouth to mouth part anymore, too much non-compression time goes by when people stop to do the breaths. Get updated on your CPR, and then get your AED.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Pads also have an expiration date and will need replacement every few years too.  If you are considering a used one, make sure both the batteries and pads are still available for purchase.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've had a string of recalls on them if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The doc said 3% survival rate for children who have a cardiac event. That's actually pretty good. Young hearts bounce back better than old hearts. I've only heard of a couple code saves (person walks out of the hospital under their own power) in my area when the patient was over 30. Early AED application is huge for code saves.
View Quote

except for rare occurrences, kids don't have heart disease.  if they code, it's usually preceded by respiratory failure.  fixing the respiratory failure or other underlying issue will usually keep them from arresting.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Current guidelines call for high quality compressions, "hard and fast" at 100 bpm. They don't even really require the mouth to mouth part anymore, too much non-compression time goes by when people stop to do the breaths. Get updated on your CPR, and then get your AED.
View Quote

QFT.

My agency has gone to hands-only pre-arrival CPR. When a call is received for an unresponsive party and we can't IMMEDIATELY confirm breathing status, compressions are started. Period.

(Hot tip: 100bpm is the beat rate of "Stayin' Alive" by the BeeGees, OR if you're a bit more morbid "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen. Pro tip: Don't sing along.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The national average for all arrests is maybe 10%, witnessed arrests with immediate AED deployment is still less than 50%. If you're running 100% survival to discharge on arrests you need to be running the AHA.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have been HUGE changes in CPR since 2002. The Phillips, is definitely a good durable model. If you live in the Austin Area I can help with a certification. Just pay the card and supply fee. I'm an instructor, don't really do it to make money. So I'm cheapest in town. I think everyone needs to know how to do it.

One change is using AED's on infants. If you want you can IM me and I'll give you my number if you have more questions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The national average for all arrests is maybe 10%, witnessed arrests with immediate AED deployment is still less than 50%. If you're running 100% survival to discharge on arrests you need to be running the AHA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  

You're comparing national statistics to a business with an extensive AED program with over a dozen health care professionals on duty that can be to a patient in under 4 minutes.   Our competitors have identical programs with similar results, but we're not calculated seperately by AHA.  ARC does though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top