Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/16/2014 9:30:28 AM EDT
Played on large playgrounds made of wood and metal. Rode bikes without helmets. Played hockey in the middle of the street and had to stop and move the goals for cars.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
cap gun and bb gun wars
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Played with toy guns/BB guns in full view of the public, no one cared.
ETA: brought toy guns to school, no one cared.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Riding bikes without helmets, playing with lawn darts (Jarts -- you just GOTTA whip 'em to see how high you can throw those javelins o' death!)

Drinking from the hose...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cap gun and bb gun wars
View Quote

We also had BB gun wars but have to admit it was not a smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Riding in the back of a pickup.

Bottle rocket wars

Older teen: Having a 12ga behind the seat of my truck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Had a few pairs of those glass balls on the end of a string clacker things.

And JARTs.

Red Ryder. later CO2 pistol and better BB/pellet rifle.

No helmet(sometimes) on 70cc bike, never when on bicycle.

Hatchet.

Terra tiger (6 wheeled land/water atv)

Learned how to drive.

All before I was 13ish.

We lived in the boonies.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone ever play smear the queer?

I can't imagine that's allowed these days.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#10]
We used to take these bead sized sprouts off the bushes and load them into our BB guns for '70s airsoft.   They stung but wouldn't break the skin.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Playing outside apparently. No computers to play with when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]

We quit BB gun wars when I had to dig a BB out of my stomach with a swiss army knife.  I was scared to tell my mom or dad.  Just let it heal up.  A variation of SSS I guess.

We used to have bottle rocket and firecracker wars too.  Light a pack of firecrackers and throw them at each other like grenades.  Launch bottle rockets like a bazooka team shooting at each other with wrapping paper tubes for launchers.  

It was strange that bottle rockets would usually detonate on solid impact with the opposing teams chest but a glancing blow they don't go off.

Dirt clog wars too.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Carrying a boy scout knife.

Well any knife. Shooting ground squirrels unsupervised.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Carried a pocket knife to school, had a 22 in the back window of truck. (At school)
Some kids and teachers smoked together out in the back of school.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Smear the queer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#17]
buying smokes for my parents with a note at 7yrs old
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Get turned loose after we ate breakfast - only rules were "Be home before dark and don't get into trouble..."
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Played with Dynamite.
Owned an actual chemistry set.
Rode three wheelers.   (Without a helmet)
BB gun,slingshot,  and firework wars with the neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Sucking my mom's tits.

Wouldn't fly today!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Not me but my brother had Ninja stars. Awesome toys for a 7 year old to play with!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol. I forgot about that one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Plenty

Including much that wasnt legal even then
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Laid in the back window of the car staring at the stars while on road trips.

Never wore a seatbelt

BB gun wars - and never put an eye out

Bicycle with no helmet - wtf was a helmet

Skateboard with no pads or helmet

So many more
Amazing we didn't die in mass
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Playing on construction sites, sneak in after hours and climb around the buildings.

Riding in the car with no seatbelt, sliding around in the backseat when dad would fly around corners

Settling our differences in gym class, there would be at least one fight a week before class started.  Gym teacher would break it up before anyone got too banged up, then you spent the rest of class running around the track to cool off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Playing tag at school.

Reading my bible at school (public school).

Playing Army during recess at school.

Wearing a shirt with a U.S. flag on it at school.

Drawing pictures of guns at school.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#27]
smoke in school.   drink at a bar before school drinking age was 18,  DWI was .025
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
forgot that  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

forgot that  

Around here that's still legal. In that in rural arias they can only afford a pickup so the whole family has to be able to go along.
But it's illegal to have your dog back there unrestrained.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Hunting before school.

Guns hanging in the back window rack in the school parking lot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn near everything. Off the top of my head:

The only time we wore helmets when we were riding our bikes was when they were surplus pots and we were playing war, we had toy guns that looked exactly like the real thing, and we had pump rules for BB gun "live fire" wars.

We rode around in the beds of pickup trucks and the cars we rode around in most likely didn't have seatbelts either.

We used to build bike ramps out of whatever the hell we could scrounge up, and sometimes fire was involved; no one got run over, no one called any cops.

If we got mad enough at someone at school we didn't bring in a gun and go postal, we went to the Fighting Tree right off school grounds and beat the tar out of one another until satisfaction was agreed upon. Most likely the next day the guy you fought would sit with you at lunch and laugh about the whole thing. Today the school would be involved and probably the cops.

Everyone brought their rifles and shotguns to school during hunting season, there was a gun safe in the metal shop to put them in; not because the school thought anyone was going to shoot the place up but because they didn't want anyone being tempted to steal anyone else's guns out of their cars and trucks.

For my 10th grade history project I did my paper on the small arms of the Vietnam War, and brought in live 7.62x39 and 5.56 rounds to show the class by way of a demonstration. That would get a kid suspended at best and arrested at worst today. Another kid did a show and tell with a ton of knives describing how they were made and the different uses for them, his dad was a knifesmith. No one made any fuss about that, and I actually wound up buying a couple from his dad after I saw how nice they were.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Roman candle wars
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Dirt clod fights.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#33]
While in elementary school (early 90's) my father was the shop teacher at the high school. When the school buses dropped me off at the high school he'd help me build guns out of wood. Yeeeaaaa, I don't think that'll happened now a days.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#34]
We had a rifle club in High School.  Shot 22 rifles in the basement on a regular basis.  The rifles were stored in a locked cabinet w/ the ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

did that quite a bit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL me too.

Our one gym teacher was the wrestling coach and a few times a month he'd have us play that in the wrestling room, it had padded walls so it lowered the chances of anyone dying.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#37]
5th grade sleepover at a friends house. We all took our .22's, rode the school bus to school. Checked the rifles at the principles office (pre-approved) then 5 of us with .22's rode the school bus to the friends having the "party" and did the reverse the following day. No incidents to law enforcement reported....
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Played with air rifles, then BB guns.
Rode my bike miles from home to stores and friends houses.
Made our own big fire crackers by emptying multiple regular ones into used smoke bombs hulls!
Built plastic models with old fashioned model glue.

One of my earliest memories from the mid 60's was my Dad waking us up to take us for rides in some old M-48 tanks that they were moving through LA, right through town to the rail yards!
He was responsible for closing a base near Monrovia California and shipping the armor out, can't remember its name though.
Had to be after midnight and I was riding in the TC Copula as we were rolling right down the street, folks were coming out of little stores and buildings watching, quite an experience for a 7 year old!
Did it for 4 nights in a row, crowds got bigger after the first couple of nights.
We were talking about it yesterday, he and my brother commented you would never get away with that today, probably lucky he wasn't busted down a grade or two! LOL
Dad retired in 1969 as a Sargent Major.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Dressed as a cowboy in second grade with cap gun holstered
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Playing dodgeball.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Took rifles to school on the bus, left them in the principal's office, and picked them up after class so I could ride the bus to my buddy's house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Playing hockey, hot box and soccer in the middle of the street, moving the goals or bases when the cars came through. (car! CAR! CAAAAAAAAAR!!!)

Riding non-geared BMX style bikes with another kid on the back pegs across town to the comic book store, neither of us wearing helmets or pads. (I only remember crashing once)

Realistic cap guns, in all shapes and sizes. The only telltale thing on them was the red plastic "plus" plugging the barrel. Every kid on the block had an ammo fort of various caps... roll caps, revolver caps, line caps, etc.

Buying wrist rockets, BB pistols and BBs, lighters and pocket knives over the counter at Venture with no adult or ID.

Two words: Unsupervised fireworks. Everything from M80s to bottle rockets, black cats, you name it. No snakes... snakes and sparklers were for babies.

Summer days when you grab your allowance money, jump on your bike at 8am and you don't see your parents again until the street lights come on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Used to bring guns to school so we could go hunting immediately after class let out. Somehow we survived.

Loved riding in the back of my old man's pickup, now you get pulled over for not wearing a seat belt.

I felt so much safer back then tbh.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Heh most have been mentioned.

Smear the queer
Drank from hose.
Bottle rocket wars.
Snow knee boarding being pulled behind ATV.  Also jumped ramps made of snow, but this hurt like hell after a few landings.
Saucer battles.  Two red saucers pulled with ATV each with one person and sometimes a stick.  Goal was to knock the other person off their saucer all while being fishtailed around by the ATV.

I can probably think of more. lol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#45]
we settled our differences after school, behind the gym, shook hands like men and got on with our day.

no one called the cops, coaches kept a respectful distance to make sure we were "OK".

and noone put it on u-tube.

when it was over, it was over.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#46]
All of it.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I wandered around the neighborhood with a rifle looking for fun stuff to shoot at.  

Dragon flies at 50m ain't easy to hit with an old Savage 24.    Not unless you use the bottom bbl, but who has that kind of cash for ammo at 10?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Home made firecrackers...

were technically illegal... but no one cared ....even shared some with El Paso PD
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cap gun and bb gun wars

I still remember the one time I handed my friend my Crosman pump BB gun, and told him to shoot it near me as I ran from him. He turned out to be a pretty good shot, as I heard BBs whizzing past me as I ran, and dove behind a concrete sign while yelling at him to stop. He kept shooting at the sign instead, and I could hear him cracking up laughing his ass off. Oh yeah and this was in an elementary school parking lot on a weekday afternoon... Early 90s.

we used to walk around the neighborhood with that BB gun, shooting all sorts of shit,  mostly at the middle school up the road, which had a huge swath of woods behind it. nobody ever called the cops on us.

one of my friends' dads used to drive all over town with us in the back of his F-150. the best part was always when he went down the steepest hill in town and would pretend that he lost his brakes, then slam them on at the last second before turning at the bottom of the hill, sending us sliding around in the bed.  I never see kids in the back of pickups any more.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top