Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2014 5:48:54 AM EDT
Had the opportunity to see them again this weekend in Ocean City, MD after a long hiatus. If you have never had the chance you really need to make the time. Nothing screams patriotism like an F-16 in afterburner. I enjoy both the T-Birds and the Blue Angels but something about the Falcon just gets me excited. Despite it's age it is still one hell of an aircraft.

For those really into airshows, I followed the advice of someone who posted here many years ago who said often the practices are better than the actual shows. And so the wife and I took a few personal days and went down to Ocean City on Thursday to try and catch them arriving. No joy on Thursday, but it was raining all day. However on Friday at around 10:30 we were greeted by Thunderbirds 1, 5 and 6 who hung around for 30 minutes conducting a flight survey for the show. I swear to you this was the best part of the weekend as almost the entire time was spent flying at high speeds, much faster than the show itself. They split and then around 1pm a single Thunderbird came by for what appeared to be more high speed surveying. He stayed about 15 minutes and the rest of the air show participants ran a light practice after he left. I thought things were done until the next day but not so, as right at 4pm Thunderbirds 2,3 4 and 5 showed up to fly 20 minutes of tight formation flying, giving us a preview of what was to come tomorrow.

Anyone into fighter jets needs to spend some time a day or two before the actual show to really appreciate what these planes can do. Simply amazing!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Grew up seeing them and the Angels at the Tamiami Air Show and the Fort Lauderdale Air & Sea Show. The T-Birds rock the the F-16 just screams American awesomeness.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
lol thunderp chikuns. One of my old supervisors was a photographer for them for years. Got to fly around with them all the time. He really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I worked on their engines while I was in JEIM.

Watched them practiced all the time when they were at home station, against my will.

Couple of maintainer friends got picked up by them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I have enjoyed every show of theirs I have ever seen. My first was as a kid  they were in F-100's

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Went to see them at Fairchild a couple weeks ago.  Worth every second of the 1 hour it took to get off the base.......

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
They are not as loud as the Blue Angles
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Back in the day, when Sacramento had two Air Bases, there would be at least two airshows a summer.  Blue Angels and Thunderbirds are good acts.  As are the Patriots and Red Arrows..
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Also got to see them in Hillsboro,Or awhile back, they were doing their turn arounds over my house.  They were so low that you could hear a slight buzzing sound as they were right over the top of you, then the roar was a second or two behind them.  Definitely badass!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Blues aren't as loud as they used to be.  They must tailor their shows.  At the recent St Louis Airshow the Blues had a very quiet show.  Most of the Boeing employees I know even said that it had been tuned town from what they remember.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw them when they were F4 phantoms.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Blues aren't as loud as they used to be.  They must tailor their shows.  At the recent St Louis Airshow the Blues had a very quiet show.  Most of the Boeing employees I know even said that it had been tuned town from what they remember.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I felt the same way this weekend watching the T-Birds. The show was much "quieter" than past shows, I'd bet a paycheck on it. I think that is why the recon flights on Friday were so much more impressive, they seriously were hauling ass and a large majority of the turns were right over our condo. Even my wife commented that they seemed to fly much faster the day before the actual show.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Time for some pics! I've always liked the solo's. Trivia: what is unusual about plane #5 (OTHER than it is flying upside down), and why is it that way?

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Extra VHF/UHF antenna?  Or is it just the angle making it to where I can't see that antenna on the other AC?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Time for some pics! I've always liked the solo's. Trivia: what is unusual about plane #5 (OTHER than it is flying upside down), and why is it that way?

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/bam_bam9/547011031d02d219fb5fe308527fe669.jpg

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/bam_bam9/fb9534960ce3a31a5268cdcc680eca2a.jpg
View Quote

The number is painted upside down for reference when it is inverted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/bam_bam9/547011031d02d219fb5fe308527fe669.jpg

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/bam_bam9/fb9534960ce3a31a5268cdcc680eca2a.jpg
View Quote

The "5" is upside down..... errr right side up.

Damn, Beat!

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Went to see them in Youngstown, OH this year and they were rained out.
Couldn't make it for Sundays show.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winna! It is marked this way because whenever a solo is flown inverted, it is ALWAYS #5. The pilot's ID on his uniform is also upside down.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Deleted as inappropriate.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Several years ago my company contracted to demo and rebuild Fire Station #1 on Eglin AFB.  It is about midway down 1/19, which was just about show center.  IIRC, it was the 75th anniversary of Eglin that year.  

T Brids came in on Weds or Thurs (can't remember which)  We knew they were due to arrive that day but didn't know when.  The commercial traffic for KVPS comes in spurts about every hour there so over time, one develops an awareness of when the PAX birds should be coming/going.  I remember thinking to myself that it had been an awful long time for any commercial traffic.  That's about when they showed up.

I remember that our max height for a crane during the job was 90' without any special process.  There are some light poles right near FS#1 that appear to be 100' tall.  As the TBirds were making their survey runs when they arrived that day, they were WAY below the tops of those poles.  Several runs had them turning out at midfield, right over our jobsite.  I swear they weren't 50' above the roof of this 18' high building.

It seemed like they damn near ran through their show that day.

Next morning, they were all lined up, almost directly in front of our jobsite on the transient ramp.  The Pilots drove on the field just on the road adjacent to the FS.  (Yes, they got out and checked tires for FOD).

I get to see the Blues fairly often and think they put on a hell of a show (My dad is a retired USAF F4 driver, he even admits that the Blues do a better Demo) but that was the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Several years ago my company contracted to demo and rebuild Fire Station #1 on Eglin AFB.  It is about midway down 1/19, which was just about show center.  IIRC, it was the 75th anniversary of Eglin that year.  

T Brids came in on Weds or Thurs (can't remember which)  We knew they were due to arrive that day but didn't know when.  The commercial traffic for KVPS comes in spurts about every hour there so over time, one develops an awareness of when the PAX birds should be coming/going.  I remember thinking to myself that it had been an awful long time for any commercial traffic.  That's about when they showed up.

I remember that our max height for a crane during the job was 90' without any special process.  There are some light poles right near FS#1 that appear to be 100' tall.  As the TBirds were making their survey runs when they arrived that day, they were WAY below the tops of those poles.  Several runs had them turning out at midfield, right over our jobsite.  I swear they weren't 50' above the roof of this 18' high building.

It seemed like they damn near ran through their show that day.

Next morning, they were all lined up, almost directly in front of our jobsite on the transient ramp.  The Pilots drove on the field just on the road adjacent to the FS.  (Yes, they got out and checked tires for FOD).

I get to see the Blues fairly often and think they put on a hell of a show (My dad is a retired USAF F4 driver, he even admits that the Blues do a better Demo) but that was the coolest thing I've ever seen.
View Quote

I know exactly what you mean. Had I not gone down a few days early and seen it for myself I would not have believed it. They flew lower and faster than any "official" airshow and kept it up for quite some time. I don't use colorful language often but it was fucking awesome. That is the only proper way to sum it up  

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Pro tip: Go by the Air Force Academy a day or two before graduation for their practice.  

Last time I was there, I could have sworn they were scraping paint off the bottom on the trees.  Really cool stuff.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, the T-Birds are fun.  But the most impressive F-16 display I ever saw was a pre-show practice in an F-16 was one of the test birds at Edwards AFB flown by  an Edwards pilot.

I have seen aircraft coming down in a dive make their pull up and the plane be pointing upward while still travelling downward.  A-10s were good for producing examples of that "compression effect".

But that F-16 at Edwards was the only time I've ever seen a plane do that going upwards.  He came down the runway very low at almost 500 knots and pulled an Immelmann as it went behind the big hangar.  By the time he popped into view from behind the hangars the plane was pointing back in the direction he came and was still climbing from the momentum he carried into the maneuver.

The plane must have climbed to about twice the altitude it was when I saw it pop into view, but I think he completed that Immelmann in well less than 1000 feet.  Probably more like 700-800 feet.  I can only guess the Falcon must have been pegged at maximum G for the entire maneuver.

I've never seen the Thunderbirds pull that kind of maneuver.  Then again they don't really push the envelope as far as going to maximum limits on the aircraft they fly.  And for some odd reason, come Sunday when they had the airshow at Edwards, the F-16 did not fly that maneuver.  He did a maximum G horizontal turn, which was impressive, but no maximum G Immelmann.

Guess there was something said about not showing up the Thunderbirds too badly so they dropped the most impressive maneuver from the routine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I have seen the BA and TBs several times over my life. I am always impressed.

Probably the coolest thing I have ever seen outside of a demo flying show was on a nearby lake many years ago now.  Shaw AFB is nearby and they had a squadron of A-10s(may still, IDK).
I was working at a property on the lake and noticed a couple of A-10s flying around for a while. I had a good long view over an area called Beaver Creek when one of the A-10s came down to just above water height. When he got to the bridge, he popped up to clear it and dropped back down on the other side. I didn't see him again until he climbed, but the bridge is pretty high for boat clearance. The creek channel is about 100 yards at its narrowest point. I cant help but imagine that the pilot would get in trouble for doing this, but I sure enjoyed it and obviously it has stuck with me 15+ years later. There was no one on the lake which must have been what he was checking for in his previous higher altitude fly-bys.

In this pic, he was flying right to left. There is over 0.5 miles between where he went by me and the bridge. Then he went over the bridge and I lost him again down the creek channel. I was near the end of the road on the lower side of the creek east of Hwy#97.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#26]
They were at the McGuire AFB airshow last month.
Didn't get to the show but they practiced over our house and then saw them get in formation and fly west a couple days after the show.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#27]
My cousins husband served two tours of duty as No 6 plane, his replacement got sick just before shows and he had just vacated the seat so they sent him back, last name Rogers, yes Call sign was BUCK>>
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Live in Las Vegas.  Love to watch them perform!   Amazing!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#29]
oklahoma gets treated twice this season. next weekend at tinker and then altus in september.  hopefully i can make it to both shows.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don't be so obtuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be so obtuse.

Every year for the air show, my old condo was in their flight line(Like they would come right off the water over my house).  We'd take Friday's off for their practice and drink on the deck.  The Angles one year, the Thunderbirds the next.  Everyone knew the years when the Angles where flying.  We'd have to replace tiles on the roofs
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I felt the same way this weekend watching the T-Birds. The show was much "quieter" than past shows, I'd bet a paycheck on it. I think that is why the recon flights on Friday were so much more impressive, they seriously were hauling ass and a large majority of the turns were right over our condo. Even my wife commented that they seemed to fly much faster the day before the actual show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have noticed that in the past too.  Fridays are the day for hot runs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

I dunno, I think F-16s are louder than Hornets. Seen them both several times, but never had a dB meter with me.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll be taking my dad and oldest son to the show at Tinker AFB this weekend...can't wait!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I dunno, I think F-16s are louder than Hornets. Seen them both several times, but never had a dB meter with me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typically Hornets are louder.  They have two engines.  Vipers are open louder at take off as they use full after burners.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#36]
there would be at least two airshows a summer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Top picture:
Both jets are powered by F100-229's

Bottom:
Both jets are powered by F100-220's
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Da Faq?  MK-82s on a T-bird?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Keeping up quals is my guess.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#41]

I wish they were still flying F4's.  

This bad boy sits a few miles away from me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tail # 81-0879 was the subject of a test in 1988.  Part of the requirements of military flight demonstration aircraft is that they be capable of being returned to a military useable configuration within 72 hours.  In 1988 they did a test on 81-0679 and for the remainder of her Air Force career she was known as "Warbird".  They removed the smoke generators, reinstalled the gun, attached pylons and ordnance then flew operational test sorties.  Repainting warbird was not required to make her usable, so he strafed and dropped bombs in Thunderbird livery.  

To date she is the only Thunderbird to ever have done this.  

I know it would be a PITA, but I wish the AF would go away from the plain paint schemes they have and let crews have the flexibility once again to at least paint the Wing King's aircraft in traditional schemes.  Hell, go back to camo schemes instead of the current standards.  The Navy does this, so we should too!

Ellington Field (Texas ANG) painted up an F-16 for their 90th anniversary, but now they fly Predators.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#47]
More Thunderbird trivia: why was the tail of aircraft #4 painted black instead of standard Thunderbird livery?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You didn't catch on.

It's Angels, not angles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be so obtuse.

Every year for the air show, my old condo was in their flight line(Like they would come right off the water over my house).  We'd take Friday's off for their practice and drink on the deck.  The Angles one year, the Thunderbirds the next.  Everyone knew the years when the Angles where flying.  We'd have to replace tiles on the roofs

You didn't catch on.

It's Angels, not angles.

Angles works. They are a PRECISION team, after all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

#5 doesn't have an Anti-Collision light.

Because slot.

Fuck...it's 4 that doesn't.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top