Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 8:29:16 PM EDT
So I have had a few arthroscopic knee surgeries all on the same knee with many complications.  I have about 30 degrees range of motion and there is alot of scar tissue.  My surgeon wants to knock me out and bend the hell out of my knee until it all breaks and then insert a PCA full of morphine into my knee for pain.  I was all cool with it until he mentioned that I will need the morphine.  What the hell am I getting myself into here?  How long before I will be back up and walking again?

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
its not too bad, it usually happens because the DR didnt do a great job to begin with. Ask ur dr to order u a Continuous Passive Motion machine for the home it will really help with regaining ur ROM and preventing future scar tissue build up. The morphine is just for the immediate pain. The DR literally climbs on the table and bends ur knee 115 degrees to break up the tissue,

Hang in there
PS Lots of ice
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]

You'll love it.  I tore an ACL (among other things) in my knee once. The first week of rehab after knee surgery is like going to a torture chamber. Use the drugs, Luke :P  Heat and ice. It gets better after that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Any joint resides in a capsule of connective tissue. Scar tissue from previous surgeries can restrict movement and cause pain. The PCA will be in your arm vein, not the knee. You will not be addicted to MSO4 when using it post op. You can benefit from this. Lebrew
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When a doctor says he has to "manipulate" a body part, you know it can't be good, and will hurt like hell.  Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
its not too bad, it usually happens because the DR didnt do a great job to begin with. Ask ur dr to order u a Continuous Passive Motion machine for the home it will really help with regaining ur ROM and preventing future scar tissue build up. The morphine is just for the immediate pain. The DR literally climbs on the table and bends ur knee 115 degrees to break up the tissue,

Hang in there
PS Lots of ice
View Quote

Making Ice cubes right now in fact.  This F up resides solely with my physical therapist.  He was a big fan of being nice and gentle even thought my ROM was going to hell real quick.  Looks like everything is a go for this Tuesday.  They wanted to know if I wanted to be awake and watch.  UM.... NO!

Thanks guys

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I always Love it when the Dr. tells me to relax.
"This may pinch, or sting a bit. You may feel a pulling sensation." YYYYEEEEOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!
P.S. Don't psyche yourself out- you'll be just fine.....trust us.....
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I always Love it when the Dr. tells me to relax.
"This may pinch, or sting a bit. You may feel a pulling sensation." YYYYEEEEOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!
P.S. Don't psyche yourself out- you'll be just fine.....trust us.....
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hang in there
PS Lots of ice
View Quote

Making Ice cubes right now in fact.  This F up resides solely with my physical therapist.  He was a big fan of being nice and gentle even thought my ROM was going to hell real quick.  Looks like everything is a go for this Tuesday.  They wanted to know if I wanted to be awake and watch.  UM.... NO!

Thanks guys

Keving67
View Quote

i do orthopedic devices and braces for a living,
tell ur PT that u want a CPM machine. PT is like like 3 times a week at best, the machine will maintain ur ROM in between visits, so u want have to start fresh each appointment. Actually its best to get on one the minute u get home. By constantly moving the knee it prevents scar tissue from building, increases blood flow thru the joint, reduces pain and swelling, it will actually feel soothing
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i do orthopedic devices and braces for a living,
tell ur PT that u want a CPM machine. PT is like like 3 times a week at best, the machine will maintain ur ROM in between visits, so u want have to start fresh each appointment. Actually its best to get on one the minute u get home. By constantly moving the knee it prevents scar tissue from building, increases blood flow thru the joint, reduces pain and swelling, it will actually feel soothing
View Quote

My surgeon has got one reserved fo rme already.  I was supposed to take the one I had in the hospital after my second surgery home with me but at the last minute, my insurance company decided the 200$ rental fee was too much.  So because they are cheap, I have had 6 weeks of PT and will be having another procedure with full anestesia and drugs and everything.  I'm just not seeing the logic when all it would have taken in the first place was 200$.  From what my physical therapist told me, as long as I can get 3 consecutive visits in, starting the night of the surgery and use this cpm machin, I'll be all set in now time.  I hope so, I havent walked since Thanksgiving

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Almost had to have that done for a "frozen shoulder", they do it under a general anesthetic so they don't have to listen to you scream.  This from my doctor.

[shock]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top