Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2014 8:04:40 AM EDT
After 10 years, I think my Samsung DLP has finally died on me.  The last 6 months or so it has been giving me issues, bulb literally blew up, wouldn't turn on for a long while after it was disconnected from a power source (including power outages), noise from either the color wheel or the fan.  I replaced the bulb and was able to get some more life out of it, but the other two issues were still there, and last night it started doing even weirder things...flicking on and off, freezing momentarily, not wanting to turn off at all.  I finally had to unplug it just to turn it off, and now it wont turn on anymore.

So unless I can find an easy/quick/cheap fix, I am in the market for a new tv.  Looks like they dont make DLPs anymore, so I think I am looking for an LED flat screen.  I am looking at 65"+, dont care about 3D or anything fancy like that.  My biggest selling factor is longevity.  I liked that my DLP lasted 10 years without a single issue until its last days.

So which brands should I consider?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Sharp 60 Smart TV and I love the damn thing BUT

We bought 9 at work and of the batch we have had 3 go bad. LIne of LEDs in the middle of the screen. One the LED controller went bad and it was dead.

TVs and new cars are the only thing i'd get a warranty on for sure
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to the TV store and approach the wall where they have them all hanging up. Stop before you get close enough to identify the brands, buy the one that has the best picture at that point.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Vizio 36" in my bedroom and a LG 55" in the living room.the LG has the better picture of the two.They are both LED smart tvs.
As said above if you can get a warranty just for piece of mind.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]

I'd only go Samsung.

Vizio are great if you get a good one. Very hit or miss though.

I used to like LG, but the one I'm using as a monitor is a real POS. Never again.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to the TV store and approach the wall where they have them all hanging up. Stop before you get close enough to identify the brands, buy the one that has the best picture at that point.
View Quote

Considering the horrible picture settings and source inputs that they use, this is about the worst TV advice I have ever read.

OP, I am in the same boat and am settling in on the Samsung 65" UN65H7150.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Samsung or LG... maybe Sony.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Seriously, check Groupon. I have been watching them for a few months waiting for the NEED to buy a new TV which unfortunately, hasnt arrived yet.

Just an example, they have many others.

70" Vizio LED 1080p 120Hz Smart HDTV with 8' HMDI Cable and Smart Bundle (Manufacturer Refurbished). Free Returns. $1279.99
View Quote

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-019-70-vizio-led-1080p-smart-hdtv-with-8-hmdi-cable
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Samsung and Vizio should be in the mix. My BIL has a couple of Westinghouses that have decent pictures, just waiting to see if they are durable or croak after 2 years (he's had them just over a year now).

Sony is a good set usually also but you pay for the privilege of their name being on it. I am thrilled with my now-6 year old Samsung, and my 18 month old Vizio still looks good. The Vizio just doesn't have the same options for home theater setup that the Samsung does.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been happy with the 3 Samsung's i've owned
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Samsung LED
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#11]
just got a new Samsung LED (6300 model) and it's very nice. I'd highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Considering the horrible picture settings and source inputs that they use, this is about the worst TV advice I have ever read.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Worst advice you ever read? Don't come here very often then, I'm betting.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd only go Samsung.

Vizio are great if you get a good one. Very hit or miss though.

I used to like LG, but the one I'm using as a monitor is a real POS. Never again.

View Quote

Pretty sure the latest Consumer Reports had LG at the top of its TV reliability chart. Samsung was like 4th or 5th.

I just bought last year's model Samsung F7100 with a nice discount that I am happy with.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been happy with the 3 Samsung's i've owned
View Quote

Same here. 32" LCD in bedroom, 46" LCD upstairs in gameroom and 65" LED in living room. All are no frills models that have great picture. Sound is not so great but I have a HiFi setup on the big tv. TV was only $1300 delivered.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the feedback.  Looks like I will be looking at the Samsungs.  Hopefully they last as long as my last set, and I will see what they offer in terms of extended warranty.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 9 series Samsung that is about 6 years old. It's incredible.

I have a Vizio 65 M series that's a year old. It's better.  

I got it because the price was right. It's 3d but I never used it.

Got I Frankenstein not noticing that it was in 3d. Put the glasses on and WOW!

MUCH better than the movies. 3d is teh shizznit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Sony makes the best however it really depends on how much you want to spend. If the Sony is $700 and the Samsung is $400, the Samsung is the better buy. However if you are looking at a Sony at $1400 and a Samsung at $1200, I personally would go with the Sony as the price difference ratio to the amount your spending isn't that great
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Samsung...
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I love our Vizio. Sony's stuff breaks too fast (I've had it happen with a TV and with a Receiver). Samsung is way overpriced. You should also check out TCL on Amazon. My boss has a couple of their panels and they're great looking. No frills, but that's why you buy a small network box like an AppleTV, FireTV, or Roku. I've also heard good things about the Seiki 4K TVs, but no personal experience.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#20]
We have a fairly new Sharp that's been a good tv so far.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sony makes the best however it really depends on how much you want to spend. If the Sony is $700 and the Samsung is $400, the Samsung is the better buy. However if you are looking at a Sony at $1400 and a Samsung at $1200, I personally would go with the Sony as the price difference ratio to the amount your spending isn't that great
View Quote

You really cannot make blanket statements like this. Each series from each manufacturer all of their advantages and disadvantages. Not all manufacturers even use their own panels for all of their models or even for all of their sizes within a single mode. For instance the Samsung F7100 that I just bought uses Samsung panels for the 55" and 65" models but the 60" is actually a Sharp panel.

Decide your price range and panel size. Research what is available in that price range. Decide what features you want. Read reviews and comparisons of the models that fit your needs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 60" Sharp LED.  Love it, and I'm seriously considering one of the new Sharp Q+ TV's.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I haven't done much comparison, but I've had a couple of LGs in the last few years, and they have both been excellent.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#24]
For a 65in+ LED I'd go with whichever of these brands offered the best deal: LG, Samsung, Sharp.

I don't think that Sony or Panasonic actually make their own stuff, and I know that Vizio is cheap Chinese crap.  It's cheap Chinese crap with decent US customer service, but if it's out of warranty forget it.

Toshiba offers a lot for your money if all you do is compare specs but I am generally not impressed with the picture - the colors always seem off to me.

FWIW, I buy TVs for five furniture/appliance/tv stores, so I've seen a few.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Toshiba and Samsung are the top of the list for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For a 65in+ LED I'd go with whichever of these brands offered the best deal: LG, Samsung, Sharp.

I don't think that Sony or Panasonic actually make their own stuff, and I know that Vizio is cheap Chinese crap.  It's cheap Chinese crap with decent US customer service, but if it's out of warranty forget it.

Toshiba offers a lot for your money if all you do is compare specs but I am generally not impressed with the picture - the colors always seem off to me.

FWIW, I buy TVs for five furniture/appliance/tv stores, so I've seen a few.
View Quote

TT helped me select my surround sound system and I have been very impressed with the results.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't buy another Sony. Ever time it is turned on it makes an annoying fucking GONG!
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I wouldn't buy another Sony. Ever time it is turned on it makes an annoying fucking GONG!
View Quote
http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/how-to-turn-off-the-startup-sound-chime/td-p/230435

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#29]
First you need to decide if you want an LCD or a plasma...
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Samsung > everything.

ETA:  My 50" Plasma is now 5 years old and the picture is as bright and crisp as day 1.  And it cost about the same as the 32" no-brand LED it replaced, bought a few years before that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Samsung > everything.

ETA:  My 50" Plasma is now 5 years old and the picture is as bright and crisp as day 1.  And it cost about the same as the 32" no-brand LED it replaced, bought a few years before that.
View Quote

So, you bought into a relatively new tech (LED an estimated 7-8 years ago) and are complaining that it cost more than an older, well-established tech that you bought a couple years later? It's 2014. LED TVs have come down in price to almost what Plasma costs and have a better, brighter picture. Personally, I'm not a plasma fan. More power, more heat, and generally thicker. I don't feel the picture is as crisp either.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#32]
The only time LED is better than plasma is in high light environments where glare is an issue.  Especially when you consider the $/screen inch.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Either Vizeo has started making a better product or you are all a bunch of cheap bastards.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#34]
The two best TVs ever made (picture quality) are the Panasonic VT60 which is no longer available and the Samsung 8500 plasma which will no longer be available after this year. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The only time LED is better than plasma is in high light environments where glare is an issue.  Especially when you consider the $/screen inch.
View Quote

To each their own. I don't like the look of Plasma compared to LED-LCD, so the $/screen inch isn't really a big deal to me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Go Panasonic and you'll never look back.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going to second the worst advice I've ever read.

Store tv's are set up with full brightness to overcome the overhead lights. That's why some TVs have a "store mode" setting. Also have the shittiest video feeding them. Only do this if it is a home theater equipment store with rooms set up and TVs calibrated properly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I've heard that the Vizio M series is very good for the price.  Will go with that or a Samsung for our next one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Recent Samsung convert here.  Absolutely awesome picture on my new 55"!!!!!!!!  Even watching shows and movies made back in the 40's and 50's is a whole new experience.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Beware of LG's "smart remote" you have to wag that damn thing around all over the place every time you need to adjust something on the tv.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

To each their own. I don't like the look of Plasma compared to LED-LCD, so the $/screen inch isn't really a big deal to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will have to explain that one. Plasma has better movement, color, contrast and blacks. What is it you don't like?

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Store tv's are set up with full brightness to overcome the overhead lights. That's why some TVs have a "store mode" setting. Also have the shittiest video feeding them. Only do this if it is a home theater equipment store with rooms set up and TVs calibrated properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

If you go in and intentionally buy the set with the absolute worst picture, take it home and spend a few minutes adjusting the picture settings (nothing as serious as a "professional calibration", just make the picture look decent to your eye) then invite your friends over for a good movie or ball game (using a Blu-Ray or decent HD source) and some beers, every one of them will congratulate you on your sweet new TV.

1. there aren't two dozen others to compare it to

2. the settings aren't completely fucked

3. the beer is free

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You will have to explain that one. Plasma has better movement, color, contrast and blacks. What is it you don't like?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He needs to have his eyes checked. Plasma is so much better than LCD that it's not even a real comparison.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So, you bought into a relatively new tech (LED an estimated 7-8 years ago) and are complaining that it cost more than an older, well-established tech that you bought a couple years later? It's 2014. LED TVs have come down in price to almost what Plasma costs and have a better, brighter picture. Personally, I'm not a plasma fan. More power, more heat, and generally thicker. I don't feel the picture is as crisp either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samsung > everything.

Cool your jets 14'er.  Where did you see me complain? It's a comment towards how it's bigger/better/awesomer and not a bank breaker.

To each their own, if no one liked LED they wouldn't make them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He needs to have his eyes checked. Plasma is so much better than LCD that it's not even a real comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plasma 4-life.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or your advice was just that bad.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Have installed, repaired and programmed tvs and theaters for more than 10 years.

Samsung is the only answer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Samsung if buying for quality, Vizio if buying for price.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#50]
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E701i-A3-70-inch-1080p-Razor/dp/B009SJNTIY

I have the 60" version. Very good TV.

I also came from a Samsung DLP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top