Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 11:11:09 AM EDT
Only a manual transmission? C'mon? Anyone know differently? I have some literature from a dealer and it says if you want the high output Cummins (305 hp), you'll have to get the manual 6-speed tranny.

That sucks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude I would rather have the manual than the automatic anyway but thats just me . At our local dealers lot it is next to impossible to find a manual tranny truck in the fullsize Dodges. I would go with the manual trans 100%.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You are correct, sir!

Dodge has had a chronic problem for some years now with building an automatic transmission tough enough to handle any serious torque. In fact, an entire cottage industry has sprung up that caters to Dodge owners who want to modify their autos so they don't self-destruct.

Dodge [i]claims[/i] it will have an auto that's beefy enough for the HO Cummins soon. Personally, given their previous history, I'd go with the manual anyway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Whassa matter, can't drive a manual tranny?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Too high of torque from the souped engine. The Dodge tranny, like the Allison in the GM and the Ford (maybe minus the new one for the 6.0 powerstroke, time will tell) all have problems handling the torque as they are not built with much margin. This is why Dodge is very adament about not going the Banks route.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Go ask the Dodge Cummins diesel guys at the Moparchat.com site, they'll have the definitive answer.

BTW: I've heard nothing but bad about auto tranny's behind diesels, whether its Ford or the Dodge.  My .02, YMMV.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top