Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 9:21:11 AM EDT
Looking at getting a Bulldog for the family.

Wife and I like the look they have...

Not those lame French kind...

American Bulldog....

Anyone have any good or bad on them?

I searched on google and found alot but I figured I would ask you all...

Thanks in advance...

Paul
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The trigger stacks a bit on mine, and the factory grips could be better, but it's one hell of a snubbie for the money.  The stacking makes accuracy with the DA pull pretty hard, but it's plenty accurate when I fire it SA.  Recoil isn't as bad as some people would have you think... at least with CCI Blazer JHP's.  For the money, go for it!

Oh, wait... you meant like a dog? [pistol]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Indeed...

[;)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Like many breeds, there is more than one "line" of AB, basically a tall line and a short line.  I would go with the tall unless you have some size restrictions.
I have a half English Bull half Pittbull, and the shorter line of AB look very similar.  If you're paying for a registerable dog, make sure that they're not trying to pass off a mutt like mine, as this is not unheard of.
Other than that, I think that as a breed they're second only to the pittbull as my favorite pure-breed of dog.
I honestly prefer mutts though, dilutes the inbreeding that is so pervasive among pure-bred dogs.
Speaking of which, I have to go walk mine now, she's pawing my leg.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks alot!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Do Bulldogs like the one he's asking about affect homeowners' insurance?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got an American Bulldog.  He is the best.  He is almost 3 and just a great dog.  He is great with kids, other dogs, and very playful.  He is also very protective of his family.  I'd be happy to give you more info, let me know
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:47:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!

There is a breeder near me who has one left.
Selling them for $400.

white/brown
8 weeks old.

Is 8 weeks the standard for weening(sp) on bulldogs?

There is also a female 11 months year old that has to be sold due to moving.

Wife really wants a boy though.
Her b-day is this month...
I figure what the heck...
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]
In Florida 8 weeks is the law.
My dog has Hip Dysplasia, even though she's a mutt.  Tore me up when they found out and showed me her x-rays.  That was two years ago, and I've had her on Eukanuba large breed food since then.  She's also got some anti-inflamatory pills that she takes when it bothers her.
She hasn't shown any symptoms in over a year, since moving into a townhouse and limiting her movement.  Of course, I can't wait to have a yard and another dog for her to play with again, because I think even if it shortens her life, she'll be happier in the end.
The point of getting way off topic like this, is that I would strongly recommend that you do whatever you can to ensure that your dog won't have this problem.  Do some research and see what you can do to avoid it, and grill the breeder.
I'd take the $400 dog @ 8 weeks over the 11 month old dog.  You'll have a better chance of teaching them the way you want them to be.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the replies.

Provided I like what I see (teeth, etc..) I will pick up the 8 wk boy tonight !

Wife will be happy!

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://www.shooterstore.com/dpmsinc/images/ACF437.gif[/img]

[size=5]D P M S   BULLDOG [/size=5]

Shoots real good!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#13]

I went and saw the American bulldog and wasn't impressed.

After scanning the internet etc.. I figured our that she really wanted the English Bulldog several memebers IMed me about.

Ok now I know what she wants... Unfortunately there is a difference from 400 to 1000, 1200, or 1400 ;)

And the dog isn't even preban!

Anywho I found a breeder after going through several.

I talked to the vet she uses and have decided on one of her male puppies.

This is him. He ways 10 pounds right now.
Which means he is costing me $100 a pound. :)
Don't care tho, it makes the wife happy. Which in turns makes me happy.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=4097 [/img]

Thanks for everyons comments and IMs...

Thankfully the breeder lady had this pic or I wouldn't be able to show ya cuz my camera crapped on itself.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I pick the little tyke up on the 21st.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Unsolicited advice:
If you can back out of the deal, I would.
If you think the $1k for the dog now is expensive, just wait until you have to pay the $3k per hip when (not if) they go out.
My dog is half English Bulldog, so she only has half the problems, but I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me.
I'm sure all the EB owners on here will jump my shit, but none of them will be able to honestly tell you I'm wrong.
BTW, did you find out what it is that makes the EB so expensive?  It's a pretty fucked up reason.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
AimSmall,

Are you going to name him Churchill?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#17]
unless you have a leash on it at all times, cops my shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#18]
He looks like a Smedley Butler to me!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

BTW, did you find out what it is that makes the EB so expensive?  It's a pretty fucked up reason.
View Quote

Nope. Do tell.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He looks like a Smedley Butler to me!
View Quote

Wife wants to name 'the dog' "Chesty" anyway..

[;)]

Even though the Corps seperated us for a year during my 'vacation' on [s]Okinawa[/s] the pimple of Hell, she (as do I) have a special place in our hearts for the Corps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. Do tell.
View Quote

My understanding as it was explained to me is that a vet must be present at the birth, or they must be c-section.  This is due to the overly large head, and the tiny hips.
The small hips, in conjuncion with the thick body, are what also contribute to hip problems, and aggrevating those hip problems once they start.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife and I have had three English Bulldogs so far and will allways have one or more in our family. None of our dogs have had any hip problems. One has had some breathing issues. She had to have her palet cut and her tonsels removed. The most I have ever payed for a Bulldog is $500. Once you get into the Bulldog family and met other people with them they get a cheeper. One of my dogs was stolen from my back yard. Bulldog theft is really bad right now. The breed has become very popular in the media. Just look at how many are in comercials and in movies.

Here is a link to some pics of Princess our curent little Bully.
[url]http://community.webshots.com/album/58016897uqzwxw[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Great pics Lucky!

thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top