Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 6:21:30 AM EDT
What an ass bite of an outfit.
I live in a semi rual area and aol dsl was my only high speed option.
I had to pay for the standard dial up plus the dsl connection plus another dsl connection if my kid wanted to be on line at the same time.
My aol dsl modem took a shit and they wouldn't get me a new one any faster than 10 days ( I asked no less than 3 times).
Yahoo dsl is now available for $39 for the whole friggin house and I feel like my shackles have been removed.
I called up aol to cancell and thay started offering my some free months and a new modem in 2 days.I said "I don't think so".
When they realized I was serious they said it would take 30 days to disconnect me (I need to be diconnected to start my yahoo dsl).
So I'm on dial up for 30 days and yet I still feel free.How odd is that?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
30 days my ass...don't pay your bill and see how long it takes to disconnect you. I'd tell them that I wanted it off now and that I wasn't paying another dime for anything.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
AOL SUCKS

I dont know of any service that is a bad.

Anybody ever switched and went back to AOL cause they missed the fine service ?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Which is better DSL or Cable modem?

I need to get a new computer first... but I don't have internet at home (yet).
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, and make sure they release the "DSL" hold on the line, otherwise new service cannot start. Had a friend with that problem.

re: cable vs. DSL
I know it depends on teh area, my brother has Cable, and its fast, others have cable and its slow, but they are in heavily populated areas. Some people I know have DSL and its slow as hell, but if you are closer to the backbone, then its faster. I'm guessing I will try cable modem first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had both and cable is better...
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#8]
AOL sucks and always has. It's the internet connection for the idiots of the world that don't know any better. Any local ISP is a million times better, more speed, less bullshit. I wish they would go broke and go away, but too may idiots support them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've had both and cable is better...
View Quote

Me too, my cable connection is alot better then my dsl one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Something I learned when I went from DSL to cable....a faster computer will speed up your cable connection.  I was told this by the technician that installed the cable.  I was in the process of getting a new computer and sure enough, when I connected it, my speed almost doubled.

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Cable vs. DSL? A lot depends on your factors. Cable bandwidth is shared with your nrighbors, and DSL depends on your distance to a CO, RT, etc. My home in FL is next to a RT, so I see a dedicated speed of about 1250kbps down, and about 325kbps up via ADSL.. It doesn't fluctuate necessarily (EVER), and it doesn't hardly ever go down(AGAIN,EVER!). I suggest going to [url]http://www.broadbandreports.com[/url]---aka dslreports and utilizing their search function to check for broadband in your area, and also check for ISP reviews in your area as well. Cable service is generally a faster option, but YMMV...

As for the AOHell, make sure you have plenty of Raid to get rid of the roaches when you go to remove AOL[BD]
edited to make link active...
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm. Anybody checked AOLTimeWarner's stock performance lately.

Analysts are not much happier than the posters on this thread.

Article in WSJ said AOL is a huge suck on the TimeWarner business units.

Once again, the board has its hand on the pulse of the world. Financial analysis by ARFCOM!

-Z out

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Cable vs. DSL.

Read the Terms Of Service very carfully.  You'll find a LOT of cable providers put lots of "thou shall not's" in their service agreements.  More and more are starting to cap speeds and transfer limits.  Overall most cable services claim higher speeds but tend to oversubscribe, meaning that too many people are left sharing too little bandwith.

DSL can be more expensive, but often you'll find less BS about what you can and can't do with the service (and less likely to be capped as well).

DSLReports ([url]dslreports.com[/url]) is a great place to check out providers and get the real story from actual users.

I have Speakeasy DSL.  It isn't cheap ($89 a month for 1.5/368 ADSL-other, far less expensive plans available) but the TOS allows me to run whatever servers I want, no BS about caps (speed or bytes) and they just started encouraging subscribers to share their connection via WiFi with others.  Essentially, the TOS says; "Here's the connection.  As long as you don't serve anything illegal or screw up our network, have fun!".  I've also heard no one getting busted for any sort of P2P use either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Airwolf - I agree, with cable there are too many rules and bullshit. We had time warner roadrunner for a while. They kicked me off once because the wife was running napster, they kicked me off once because of a game server I was running, they wouldn't allow me to fun any kind of ftp server, the list goes on and on, also the speed went downhill fast when the rest of the neighbors got cable. I went DSL and could not be happier. Screw cable modem as well, they suck as much as their cable-tv counterpart.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Plus, AOL is soooo anti-gun!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone needs to bring back [i]alt.aol-sucks[/i].

ANyone else here used to visit the [i]alt.aol-sucks[/i] newsgroup.

And as I type this an AOHELL commiercial is playing on the Stupidstation network.  They're showing "Heat" but they edited the hell out of it.  Even the FX version is more bloody.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top