Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 7:06:52 PM EDT
[b]Driver's license measure, Part 3
Cedillo says his bill will allow all illegal immigrants, despite status, to obtain one.[/b]
By HANH KIM QUACH
The Orange County Register

SACRAMENTO – Although a bill to allow some undocumented residents to obtain driver's licenses was vetoed for a second time last year, its author said this week that he will pitch an even bolder proposal: Let all undocumented residents get one.

Sen. Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, believes his new bill has a better chance of passage in the legislative session that resumes today - even though more restrictive versions have been twice vetoed by Gov. Gray Davis.

The new bill would allow as many as 2 million undocumented immigrants to obtain a driver's license - and not just those who are in the process of becoming legal immigrants and are stuck in the Immigration and Naturalization Service backlog, as was called for in the rejected 2002 version. Cedillo - who denounced Davis' "failed leadership" after last fall's veto and said he could no longer support Davis for governor - believes Davis will now sign the bill.

"He was being political. He was up for re-election and I respect that," Cedillo said. "Today, we're fresh. It's clean and there is no law that meets California's needs."

The biggest argument against the bill has been that it could allow terrorists to more easily infiltrate the United States.

Proponents of it believe it will increase highway safety because it will prompt undocumented immigrants who are now driving illegally to learn to drive safely so they can obtain valid licenses and insurance. They say it will increase security because it will put them in the Department of Motor Vehicles database, which is available to law-enforcement agencies.

Davis' office was noncommittal."

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It's almost comical the BS that comes out of SoCal.  

Amazing. [whacko]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Instead of giving them licenses, they ought to teach 'em to drive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Who cares if they let them get licenses ? They already drive now anyway right ? At least if they got a license they'd be paying for something.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Instead of giving them licenses, they ought to teach 'em to drive.
View Quote

LOL!

I bet they'll resist the state mandated insurance clause too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
A valid DL is a big part of becoming "legitimate" in the system.

The idea of "illegal immigrant" is so un-PC now (hence the term "[i]undocumented[/i] immigrant".  If this ever gets passed then they've gone another big step toward what the democraps want, more dependant sheeple to keep voting them into power.

Hell, it's working like a charm here in California.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, they drive now.  Maybe licensing them will coerce them into buying insurance.

Well, maybe not.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm on the fence too. Part of me says screw them, they are illegal they shouldnt even be able to buy food at the grocery store let alone get a CDL.

But, as a street cop, it sure would be nice if they had a valid picture ID rather than playing the no speakey game and giving a different name every time they are busted.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I say that they should also be allowed to get CCW permits too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:49:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:04:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm on the fence too. Part of me says screw them, they are illegal they shouldnt even be able to buy food at the grocery store let alone get a CDL.

But, as a street cop, it sure would be nice if they had a valid picture ID rather than playing the no speakey game and giving a different name every time they are busted.
View Quote

A big ditto on that. If they can get licenses and insurance, most illegal immigrants will. They changed the law around here a few years back so that they can get state IDs, and with some big PR work to the immigrant community telling them they needed to have DLs and insurance, our compliance rate has gone up significantly. I used to have one or two "No Licensia, No Segura" stops per day, now they are fairky rare (when I am actually working the streets, which is also fairly rare).

BTW, DOB is actually on the Mexican voter registration cards, buried in the 20-or so digit number on the bottom. I forget exactly how you read it, but if I had one, I could tell you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Now this would be a great idea if they swapped the DMV workers at each site with Border Patrol and INS agents!

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
registration leads to deportation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"He was being political. He was up for re-election and I respect that," Cedillo said. "Today, we're fresh. It's clean and there is no law that meets California's needs."
View Quote

Oh don't you just love that. Translation: "Sure it's election time and we need to lie to those stupid voting bastards, but we're in control now, we can do whatever we want."
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#17]
You guys are missing the bigger picture...MotorVoter.Get the illegals d/l's you will also get them voter registration.
This is not being done for ANYONE'S safety, it is strictly to get MORE illeagls to the polls to vote democrapic.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#19]
How about if we went through the motions of the test and everything, and then had them drive to the jail for the driving test. Take a mugshot instead of a regular DL picture. Hold them for 6 months or so, and then send them back to Mexico.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top