Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 6:13:38 PM EDT
If people define an organized militia of that being a group of combat and weapon trained men that follow a chain of command and their main purpose is to defend their country, such as defending the United States and the United States Constitution, then could we be under that description of an organized militia?
AR15.com does consist of an organized group of members(troops). These members are organized in specific groups under a chain of command; staff(officers), Team members(NCOs), and regular members(Non-NCOs).  A good majority of us are well trained and have the knowledge of marksmanship, combat and tactical skills and have a basic knowledge of survival skills. We are organized to the point where we vote and have discussions on what goes around here at AR15.com, yet still follow and respect higher rank(staff, Goatboy-Commanding Officer). We seem to also have the ability to learn from each other and improve our skills and knowledge from those with more expertise. The members here range from different walks of life; different races, ethnicity, religion and gender. We also have different jobs in life ranging from military servicemen to lawyers to medical personal to law enforcment officers to construction workers to teachers and so on. Therefore, we have a large group of people where someone with a specific knowledge is going to be in our group. This wide range of knowledge helps us keep us well trained and organized.
Most important, just like our own branches of the U.S. military, our hope, our goal is that our country, the American people and the Constitution we live under and the freedoms we enjoy are always protected. We are not one of those anti-government militia groups that are out there. We are law-abiding citizens who are actually an extension of power of the U.S. branches of military that help defend our freedoms.
The only thing we may lack on in is being a well-equipped militia. We are basically only a small arms militia. But then, no one ever said what a militia has to use to fight with. Our ancestors used muskets to gain the freedoms we have today. We have semi-auto firearms. The weapons have changed, the purpose of an organized militia hasn't.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... This wide range of knowledge helps us keep us well trained and organized ...
[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
View Quote

... Yeah, until the SHTF. Then this site would be unplugged; along with our other commonly-taken-for-granted means on communication.

... We are basically only a small arms militia ...
View Quote
I hear they can launch bowling balls hundreds of yards in Arizona.

... We have semi-auto firearms ...
View Quote

Hell, last meet I attended there were more legal select-fire weapons than semi.

... Seriously, good post [b]ArmaLiter[/b], my sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured that we were just a bunch of guys that like to sit around and shoot the shit(pun intended), pick up some useful info, and realize that there are others out there like us.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]

That's really reaching. Mods only have any type of "command" online on this site.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
We are until the power goes out, and then we become nothing more than a bunch of guys hiding in bunkers.

Oh, and organization. Which we lack.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
According to the IRS, my dues are for "Group Therapy".

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Is rank comensurate with post-count?  If so ETH would be a four star general and maybe I could squeak in as a Lt. Colonel...

I need to post more, my SHTF rank depends on it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, but you'd have to be in a non-command position.  Nobody I know would willingly follow a bouncing rat!  [;D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
THAT'S IT YOU MAGGOTS! ON THE FLOOR AND GIVE ME 40!

oops.... just practicing....

Actually, if ARFCOM got unplugged, there are a lot of us who know each other and how to get into touch.... If things got real bad, I venture to guess the guys with the firepower would eventually be seeking each other out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
There's no chain of command here, so it doesn't even remotely resemble a militia. As a former army officer, there are maybe a handful of people on this site that I'd even consider taking orders from.

If there's ever a TEOTWAWKI situation, there's me and my fiancee and then there's everyone else.  At that point, all of you will be nothing more than big walking unprocessed bags of meat. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, but you'd have to be in a non-command position.  Nobody I know would willingly follow a bouncing rat!  [;D]
View Quote

I wouldn't want to be in a command position anyway... I'd rather be one of the guys doing the fighting and not one of the REMFs. Not that there's anything wrong with REMF's... I suppose we need [i]some[/i] of them.

+1 for the post count... on my way to SHTF full-bird!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If there's ever a TEOTWAWKI situation, there's me and my fiancee and then there's everyone else.  At that point, [red]all of you will be nothing more than big walking unprocessed bags of meat. [/red][:D]
View Quote

Loners don't last.

On your own with an attitude like that, you'd be picked off and eaten by a squad of 10-12 close-knit guys in short order (or just a gang of 10-20 roaming street thugs).

Best bet is to either get "associated" or be sure you're invisible.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone remember the 'program' we started a couple years back - "CAN" - Constitutional Action Network?

Geared it up to coordinate local 'call to arms' sorts of activities, such as political events, helping local shooters in need, etc.

I suppose we can focus on our 'Hometown' section of the site for this sort of thing now.

It (CAN) was actually quite a good plan, that never really took off though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top