Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 4:49:16 PM EDT
[B]http://www.michaelmoore.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8242[/B]

GOD help those motherfuckers if I ever see them. At the very least they'd be beaten to death, otherwise it'll be vehicular manslaughter of the whole damn lot of em! How'd you like to see that on the evening news? [B]"Man runs down flag burners with gas guzzling full sized truck?"[/B]

Rick Monday had the right idea

[URL]http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d46/psy/dev/Fall01/patriotism/ballgame.html[/URL]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody got a link to the picture of him taking the flag? I did a search with no luck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#2]
So, explain to me how this works. Free speech is allowed if you agree with what is being said, and not allowed if you disagree?

Although I completely disagree with burning the flag, I think that restricting freedom of speech is even worse.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Sunday, April 25th
IN THE NEWS: Cubs OF Rick Monday snatches an American flag from two fans who are about to set it on fire in the outfield during a game at Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers win 5–4 in 10 innings. The next day, the Illinois legislature unanimously approves May 4th as Rick Monday Day.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Post from Emoto -
So, explain to me how this works. Free speech is allowed if you agree with what is being said, and not allowed if you disagree?
View Quote

Nothing about 'speech' in an action such as burning an American Flag!

Nothing. But the US Supreme Court says there is, so, for now, there is!
Although I completely disagree with burning the flag, I think that restricting freedom of speech is even worse.
View Quote

[b]Pshaw! Pshaw![/b]

About the time I left Louisiana for Texas, the Louisiana Legislature was considering a bill that would permit a defense to the charge of simple battery?

The defense? That the victim was burning or attempting to burn the US Flag at the time of the battery!

I don't know if it ever passed, but it should have!

Eric The(Meanwhile....)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Ask and ye shall receive!

[img]http://www.bad.org/images/flag.jpg[/img]

See article: [url]http://www.bad.org/profile/rickmonday.html[/url]

Eric The(IWin,IWin!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#6]
As for his own flag-saving actions, Monday recognized that were he to do the same thing today, he might be arrested for violating someone else's rights. "But to hell with them," he said. "They can come and lock me up right now because if they did it again, I'd do the same thing."
View Quote

AMEN!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
[b]So, explain to me how this works. Free speech is allowed if you agree with what is being said, and not allowed if you disagree?[/b]

[i]Nothing about 'speech' in an action such as burning an American Flag![/i]

You don't think it makes a statement to burn a symbol?

[b]Although I completely disagree with burning the flag, I think that restricting freedom of speech is even worse.[/b]
[b]Pshaw! Pshaw![/b]

[i]About the time I left Louisiana for Texas, the Louisiana Legislature was considering a bill that would permit a defense to the charge of simple battery?

The defense? That the victim was burning or attempting to burn the US Flag at the time of the battery!

I don't know if it ever passed, but it should have![/i]

Not sure I follow you, Eric. Are you saying that the law would have allowed people burning the flag to be beaten?

I will always come down on the side of "less government restriction is better", but if you want to go chipping away at the Bill of Rights, then knock yourself out. You'll have lots of company, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Post from Emoto -
View Quote

Nothing about 'speech' in an action such as burning an American Flag!

Nothing. But the US Supreme Court says there is, so, for now, there is!
View Quote

[b]Pshaw! Pshaw![/b]

About the time I left Louisiana for Texas, the Louisiana Legislature was considering a bill that would permit a defense to the charge of simple battery?

I don't know if it ever passed, but it should have!

Eric The(Meanwhile....)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

speech    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (spch)
n.

The faculty or act of speaking.
The faculty or act of expressing or describing thoughts, feelings, or perceptions by the articulation of words.
Something spoken; an utterance.
Vocal communication; conversation.

A talk or public address: “The best impromptu speeches are the ones written well in advance” (Ruth Gordon).
A printed copy of such an address.
One's habitual manner or style of speaking.
The language or dialect of a nation or region: American speech.
The sounding of a musical instrument.
The study of oral communication, speech sounds, and vocal physiology.
Archaic. Rumor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top