Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 4:30:41 PM EDT
I picked up a compound bow at the last gun show for $50 dolla.

Its a Parker, 70 lb with 29" draw. I've added a bow sight, and an arrow rest (another $110.)

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p382c29ded35848890c52951be313b1f7/fcd147e7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p9b2fe3c7773c023a7a7797d246109e94/fcd147de.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with the parker brand but it looks good. I can see from the pic that it's a solo-cam bow. I shoot a Mcfearson solo-cam and I really like it. It's light, smooth and very fast. Also with only one cam you don't have to worry about the timing. It looks to me like you got a very good deal, enjoy it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet deal g-man (that doesn't sound good, does it). I'm a Matthews shooter myself. Don't know if you have shot a solo cam or not. If not, I think you will like it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
We bought my wifes dad a Matthews solo cam for Christmas. $400 bucks, nice lite, compact bow.

I don't think he was that impressed. He's kinda old school, doesn't even use a bow sight, and has the meagerist arrow rest you ever did see.

We weren't upset with him, but it sure did kinda take the wond out of our sails Chrsitmas morning.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
No R2D2 bows for me.  I have 3 bows, 2 nice yew English Longbows that my father made for me and an Osage Orange Cherokee style bow that I got from a CSM at Bragg I used to shoot Blackpowder with.  Wood arrows with real feathers on them.  I have a couple of Elm staves drying at present that I will be making into bows in about a year and a half.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a longbow man and occasionally a recurve man, no whistles or sights or any of that nonsense on my bows [:D]

course all I have right now is a 64# longbow that I have to sell, needs me a lefty bow now, left eye dominance is causeing issues otherwise [:(]

But all archery is good
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I know what you are saying. I wanted to "keep it pure" with no gizmos (sights, peeps etc.)

But BEFORE I got the sight / peep, I was shooting 1' groups at 25 yards, and 2' groups at 45 yards.

WITH the peep / sight, I INSTANNTLY dropped to 2" (and better) groups at 25 yards, and 1' groups at 45 yards (and I wasn't fully sighted in at 45 yards.

Sometimes, you gotta let technology do its thang.

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
[b]NOT A FLAME[/b]

Just an observation...
I'm an avid deer hunter (with modern firearms).
When I was younger I used to hang out at the tagging stations and BS with my buddies. We would see between 4-8 deer come in on Saturdays that had arrows sticking in them, finally shot and killed with a firearm. This really turned me off to bowhunting.
 Of course people wound lots of deer with firearms as well, but I would bet that the number of clean kills is higher with firearms.
I would imagine its pretty hard to quickly kill a 200 lb buck with a pointy stick, regardless of how fast its going.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[b]NOT A FLAME[/b]

Just an observation...
I'm an avid deer hunter (with modern firearms).
When I was younger I used to hang out at the tagging stations and BS with my buddies. We would see between 4-8 deer come in on Saturdays that had arrows sticking in them, finally shot and killed with a firearm. This really turned me off to bowhunting.
 Of course people wound lots of deer with firearms as well, but I would bet that the number of clean kills is higher with firearms.
I would imagine its pretty hard to quickly kill a 200 lb buck with a pointy stick, regardless of how fast its going.
View Quote

ALSO NOT A FLAME!

I know what you're saying, but this (last) year I shot a nice 150lb buck and found one pellet of buckshot just under the skin on the left side of his neck. I'm assuming that it was from the year before due to its color, and the fact that his rightside was a nice typical 4 point, the left however was just a fork. Later I found a piece of what looks like #6 shot in one of the roast! Now I've been know to do my fair share of dumb shit, but if I saw someone shoot a deer w/ 6 shot I'd wrap the fucking gun around their head!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Slacker, you don't see archers blazing away at a running deer that they have no chance of ever getting a clean shot at. Gun hunters do it all the time and with little or no regard for what may lay beyond their intended target. An archer must get close to a calm animal. He only gets one shot, it has to be a killing shot. The last bow kill I had was on Nov. 9th. I shot an 8 point buck from my tree stand. The distance was about 10 yards and he had no idea I was there. The arrow entered high into the left lung and exited low out of the right lung and stuck into the ground litterally dripping blood from end to end. He had no idea what hit him and did not run but sort of trotted about 35 yards and fell over dead on the same trail he was following. I could not have made a cleaner kill with a firearm. That type of kill with a bow is not an exception, it is the norm. If you hunt for a number of years you are bound to lose wounded game. It just happens, with firearms or archery tackle. Bow hunting increases your hunting opportunities. Many land owners don't want gun hunters, they are tired of finding bullet holes in their homes and out buildings. An archer knows what his target is because he can see it, he has to before he can shoot it. You won't see an archer shooting at movement or sounds coming from a thicket. Other than muzzle loading i have just about given up hunting deer with firearms. There are way too many idiots out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top