Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2014 4:52:03 PM EDT
I am 40.  Coloring with my daughter tonight, I had issues being able to focus on the paper.  Noticed that when I closed my left eye shit was dark and "smaller" when looking out the right.  Vice versa - shit is OK.

I did some googling, and looked at an Amsler Grid.  Left eye - lines straight.  Right eye - lines slightly crooked toward the center - sort of "fisheye" looking.

Man, I have some other health problems (Ulcerative Coitis for 20+ years) - now it appears my eyes are going to take a dump on me.  I'll be calling an Ophthalmologist in the morning.

Anyone experience this?  Curious what anyone has to say about it here....  Thanks!

Update:
CSR
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I am 32 yrs older than you diagnosed with macular degeneration I use that chart every morning hoping I don't see it getting worse. Call an ophthalmologists first thing in the morning.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It's also possible that you are just getting old.  It's amazing how much your vision starts to suck as you age. Time to go see the Dr!
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I talked to my Optometrist buddy tonight - he said too young for degeneration, possibly Macular Edema...  Going to make a call tomorow.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Macular edema is a real possibility.  I am (hopefully) nearing the end of a bout with that.  Get thyself to an ophthalmologist hastily, says I.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Macular edema is a real possibility.  I am (hopefully) nearing the end of a bout with that.  Get thyself to an ophthalmologist hastily, says I.
View Quote

Thanks.  Tell me about it if you don't mind - what causes it?  What can be done about it?  Reading the webmd shit is morbid....would like to know from someone who has dealt with it.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife had a macular hole (not macular degineration). If the hole in the macula is complete, there is a surgical treatment. If the hole is not complete (just thinning), there are drugs the can work.

Part of the surgery involves a vitrectomy, which involves removing the gel from the inside of your eyeball. Then the surgeon uses lasers to do magic.

Get to an eye doctor as soon as you can. Not an emergency, but early intervention dramatically increases the chance of success (and perhaps may avoid surgery).

If you wind up having to have a vitrectomy, I can give you some post-surgery advice.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again!

One thing - I had a prolactinoma tumor removed from my pituitary gland about 6 years ago....it was pressing on my optic nerve.  I've had follow up MRI's and no return of the tumor, however - maybe its back...  Time to see a few doc's I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought MD started as a black spot in the center of the visual field????
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks.  Tell me about it if you don't mind - what causes it?  What can be done about it?  Reading the webmd shit is morbid....would like to know from someone who has dealt with it.  Thanks again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think anyone really has a solid grasp on the causes of macular edema or the more specific central serous retinopathy that I have.  According to a Wikipedia article, two known correlations are high stress and steroid usage.  I don't use steroids.

I think the effects can vary from person to person.  Typically, CSR goes away on its own after several months.  If not, several forms of laser treatment are possible, depending on the source of the fluid leakage.  Best case, the source is away from the macula.  Then the laser treatment is fairly simple.  If it is beneath the macula, there are still options, but they are more complicated and expensive as I understand it.  None involve invasive surgery that I know of.

Here is what my maculae look like, for reference.  The top two images of each eye are cross sections.  The fluid build up is obvious.  The bottom is a 3D topography of the macula.  Your mileage may vary.

In my case, it manifested itself as a dark spot in the center of my vision in only the bad eye.  Like when you close your eyes after looking at a bright light and you see color splotches corresponding to where the light was.  But it is 24/7 for me.  It originally looked like a dark purple circle on the normal black background with a smaller dark green circle inside it.  With both eyes open, it's usually not very noticeable.  I'm about 8 months into it and it has subsided a great deal.  It's smaller and the shape is more volatile.  I'll get reevaluated in a few weeks.

If CSR is what you have, breathe a sigh of relief.  But get checked ASAP to find out because there are other possibilities.  BTW, I'm no doctor -- not by a long shot.  I'm just spouting what I know from my own experience.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think anyone really has a solid grasp on the causes of macular edema or the more specific central serous retinopathy that I have.  According to a Wikipedia article, two known correlations are high stress and steroid usage.  I don't use steroids.

I think the effects can vary from person to person.  Typically, CSR goes away on its own after several months.  If not, several forms of laser treatment are possible, depending on the source of the fluid leakage.  Best case, the source is away from the macula.  Then the laser treatment is fairly simple.  If it is beneath the macula, there are still options, but they are more complicated and expensive as I understand it.  None involve invasive surgery that I know of.

Here is what my maculae look like, for reference.  The top two images of each eye are cross sections.  The fluid build up is obvious.  The bottom is a 3D topography of the macula.  Your mileage may vary.

In my case, it manifested itself as a dark spot in the center of my vision in only the bad eye.  Like when you close your eyes after looking at a bright light and you see color splotches corresponding to where the light was.  But it is 24/7 for me.  It originally looked like a dark purple circle on the normal black background with a smaller dark green circle inside it.  With both eyes open, it's usually not very noticeable.  I'm about 8 months into it and it has subsided a great deal.  It's smaller and the shape is more volatile.  I'll get reevaluated in a few weeks.

If CSR is what you have, breathe a sigh of relief.  But get checked ASAP to find out because there are other possibilities.  BTW, I'm no doctor -- not by a long shot.  I'm just spouting what I know from my own experience.

http://www.MetalSchnitzel.com/images/misc/CSRComparisonLR.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.MetalSchnitzel.com/images/misc/CSRComparisonLR.jpg

Good info thanks.  Forgot to update - He dx me with PVD - Posterior Vitreous Detachment....gave me some drops...  They seemed to help a bit, but after reading your post, my symptoms are much more like CSR.  I have a followup appointment in a few days - will bring this up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Went back today - yup its CSR.  Hopefully the drops help speed up the healing process.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's also possible that you are just getting old.  It's amazing how much your vision starts to suck as you age. Time to go see the Dr!
View Quote

This.  I would be the OP needs bifocals or even prescription lenses.

Macular degeneration is more in old folks.

ETA:  Should have read the entire thread first.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I need to update the title....It was diagnosed as CSR

Central serous retinopathy is an eye condition where fluid accumulates underneath the retina causing distortion and visual loss. Patients are typically 20-50 years old and often complain of a sudden, painless loss of vision. This condition occurs 8-10 times more commonly in men than in women and is more common in Caucasians. It is felt that this may be a stress-related condition as it is more common in patients with “Type A” personalities, and can induced in rabbits and monkeys with IV injections of epinephrine.

So if you are middle aged, anal, and have high stress, you might fuck your eyes up.....
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah I need to update the title....It was diagnosed as CSR

Central serous retinopathy is an eye condition where fluid accumulates underneath the retina causing distortion and visual loss. Patients are typically 20-50 years old and often complain of a sudden, painless loss of vision. This condition occurs 8-10 times more commonly in men than in women and is more common in Caucasians. It is felt that this may be a stress-related condition as it is more common in patients with "Type A” personalities, and can induced in rabbits and monkeys with IV injections of epinephrine.

So if you are middle aged, anal, and have high stress, you might fuck your eyes up.....
View Quote
Shit....guilty.

Although the failure of my auto darkening welding helmet while I was welding last weekend has caused me some serious issues this last week as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top