Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 4:04:36 PM EDT
Not the choc chip kind, the computer kind.

I got the basic idea that they are basically tiny bits of data from your internet history.

But I'm looking for a little more detailed explanation.

And some questions -

1. Could the gov't get ahold of my cookie history? Restated, will hanging with you guys ruin my reputation with Uncle Sam???  [:D]  

2. Are any of these danged spam emails from business / industy getting my cookies?

3. Can you wipe out your entire cookies file, or would you lose something???

4. What other privacy issues are there??

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Some info about cookies [url]http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/i-034.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]

[B]
1. Could the gov't get ahold of my cookie history? Restated, will hanging with you guys ruin my reputation with Uncle Sam???  [:D] [/B]

Yes, Eschelon & Carnivor

[B]3. Can you wipe out your entire cookies file, or would you lose something???[/B]

My Computer, C://, Windows, Temporary Internet Files, select all, delete Hit "Back" go into "Cookies" slecest all, delete, "Back" go into History, delete all you don't want

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://greghavener.com/images/ccookies.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cookies are an Israeli plot to spy on your computer. [:D]
View Quote

That's a given.  [:D]

The only question is "Which one of you turned me in??"

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.webroot.com/wb/index.php

Go on a diet and get rid of the cookies! Try Window Washer at the above site.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://greghavener.com/images/ccookies.gif[/url]
View Quote

beat me to it
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
A guy with over 8100 posts and he's asking about cookies.

He probably invented them.  Don't answer his questions, its probably a gubmit trap!

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Cookies are what Goatboy uses to let you auto log into the site. He probably also uses them to track your internet surfing patterns, to record your credit card transactions (and CC numbers) and to read your brainwaves.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]
What is your operating system?  Windows? If so, what version?

Cookies are little files stored on your computer by web sites that you visit.

They are not ALL bad, but some may be.

You can disable cookies with some settings in Intrnet Explorer, or set it to prompt you, but there are some sites that won't work for you if you do that, and it's a real pain to click "no" because you have to do it sometimes dozens of tmes on even one site.

I have regularly deleted mine with no major problem.  I don't have any web site remember my password, and I don't care if they forget what threads I've already read, or if my credit card number is remembered for secure transaction.  I do't do unsecure purchases.

Also remember your computer stores "caches" other things like image files on pages you viewed, including banners, buttons, and all kinds of crap.

Also I.E. keeps a history file of sites you visit.   This and a lot of the temporary files can be cleared by going to tools - options & you will see a button to clear your history file and another one to clear many temporary files (myself, before clicking "OK", I click a box that says "delete all offline content"), or something like that).

But this is not everything.  I.E. does not seem to be set up to delete cookies themselves.

There are other things to think about, too.  You may find a sub-folder under "Temporary Internet Files", Called "Content.IE5" which itself has subfolders with weird names.  These also come from visiting web pages.  I really don't understand them, maybe someone else can explain them.

I have seen people here mention other files that are "hidden" but can be dealt with by starting up in safe mode, then finding them ,etc.  I have no details on these.

Then there is "spyware".  You may want to view [url]www.cexx.org[/url]& look under Adware/Spyware

There are also "temp" files - with .tmp extensions.  

You can run the "disk cleanup" tool in Windows if you have it by right clicking the top folder
in Explorer, then "proerties, and you may see a button by that or a similar name.  Mine will clean out the recycle bin, temporary internet file, an a few others you can select.

I can't recommend deleting files 'manually' by browsing through your directories in regular Explorer, unless you are very, very sure of what you are doing.  

I recommend getting the help of a tech or a very savvy friend, or one of the many people here who are smarter than I am.

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Just get one of these.  All your cookie problems are solved.

[img]http://www.island-of-freedom.com/satire/cookie.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are worried about cookies, then use Internet Explorer 6 or Netscape 7.  Both of these browsers give you control of cookies on a per site basis.  i.e.  you can let some sites set cookies and tell others that they cannot set cookies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know of a good cookie control program?
 I had Addsubtract on my old machine, but they upgraed it and charge for it now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top