Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 1:13:34 PM EDT
Mine is taking a dive quick, and I need to replace it SOON. Looking at the HP models, but I am open to suggestions. I will be using it for broadband connections at home and on the road. Can anyone make recommendations on what to or NOT to buy? I have heard to go with the Win XP Pro not the Home Edition. Cost is part of this equation.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Toshiba Satellite 1715XCDS that I've been considering parting with...
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Why and what you replace it with?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a Toshiba portege 7000, a 7000CT, a dell latitude cp and an IBM Thinkpad and I hated all of them EXCEPT the Thinkpad.  I love this one.  It's an old Thinkpad 600 PII 266 w/196MB ram and it's still great.

The keyboard is better, the screen is clearer and it feels "better built". It's an intangible but it's there.  It doesn't feel all "plasticky" like my others have felt.

I am about to sell this one and get another Thinkpad (a T30 cause they have both the trackpad AND the pointer stick. Nice).

So I'd recommend the thinkpad series based on the ones I've used.

Good luck,

Matt
CrashBurnRepeat
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.dell.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.apple.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my HP real good.

I hated my Compaq.

I'm not real computer saavy, so I'm really just basing my opinion on what caused me alot of grief and headaches, and what didn't.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a sony vaio several years ago from best buy. It was a display model, so it was cheaper, and I was able to buy it + extended service for less than it would cost me new. This thing is still lighter and smaller than 90% of the other laptops on the market today.

Three years into the warranty, the battery dies and it's replaced for free - which would have cost more than the price of the warranty to replace. Extended warranties on laptops are highly recommended.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got a Dell Inspiron 2650 a few months ago and love it. I use it for broadband traveling and sometimes at home when I don't want to sit at my desktop (I have a wireless network). I would go Dell or Sony Vaio. The Sony's have the same functionability as a Mac, just on Window's platform.

edited to add: I paid 1300$ for my Dell. That was adding a 99$ wireless card (you can get them cheaper than that, I just wanted one that came with the computer for warranty's sake) and a USB optical mouse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top