Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 9:49:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to say that it appears that we, the US, aren't the only country to experience the violent gang culture that many countries point to as a indication of the failings of our society. But then I saw this...

[b]He wrote in the British tabloid The News of the World over the weekend: "This culture of mindless violence, which has sprung partly from the increasing influence of Jamaican and American culture and the glorification of gang warfare, must be stopped." [/b]

So I guess it must be our fault.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#3]
We're the last superpower. Of course it's our fault.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The NRA couldn't have written a better article than cnn.com just did
View Quote

...not that they ever would, of course.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Even cnn.com couldn't twist the facts around to make this article seem anti-gun to my way of thinking, look at the quotes they use!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/01/06/uk.guns/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN)
1. The move is part of an attempt to crack down on the "unacceptable increase in the flagrant use of guns in crime across the country" especially in relation to drug and gang war crime culture, he added.

2. The shootings brought into focus the availability of illegal firearms in the UK and the willingness by criminals to use them.
Blunkett said: "While we already have some of the toughest gun laws in the world, there has been an unacceptable increase in the flagrant use of guns in crime across the country.

3. Figures set to be released by the Home Office are to show that gun crime has doubled since Labour won power in 1997, according to newspaper reports.

4. The British media has also speculated the government is considering introducing a ban on replica guns such as air rifles adapted to fire live bullets.

5. The Metropolitan Police Commissioner welcomed the government's move, saying: "The support of the judicial system is needed in delivering meaningful sentences if a real impact on gun crime is to be made. The growing culture of the casual carrying of handguns, both real and imitation, must be brought under control as soon as possible."
View Quote

1. How can there be an increase of gun crime if the guns were all banned? You mean not ALL the guns were turned into the local Gestapo Station? What segment of society wouldn't turn in guns to the authorities? Let's see...[i]CRIMINALS[/i] maybe?

2. How can there be [i]more[/i] guns on the streets now, after they were all banned from private possession? If you [i]already have[/i] some of the toughest gun laws in the world, your problem must be that there are people who don't care about laws and these people are the only ones with guns now.

3. So crime has doubled since all these gun laws were passed, huh? I think we all know why, now!

4. If it didn't work for real guns, why is it going to work for fake guns?

5. I thought you already banned all the guns. What are you going to do, [i]ban them again[/i]?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Over at the DU or micheal moore sites, I forget which one, this German guy blamed the US for it's influences on the world.  He actualy suggested that we should control the type of movie Hollywood makes.  I have an idea, if they don't like them they don't have to watch them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Over at the DU or micheal moore sites, I forget which one, this German guy blamed the US for it's influences on the world.  He actualy suggested that we should control the type of movie Hollywood makes.  I have an idea, if they don't like them they don't have to watch them.
View Quote

Yeah, the Germans are in a real position to be critical of our culture!  I'm sure Hitler was our fault too.  What a cocksmoker!

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
CNN can't twist the story?
[red]A total handgun ban was rejected by parliament but legislation was brought in to ban guns above .22 caliber and to restrict smaller caliber weapons to secure gun clubs.[/red]
View Quote
Thus implying that "smaller caliber" (5mm, .22) are available to "secure gun clubs."  Um, no.  [i]The only legal handguns in England are black-powder types.[/i]  No centerfire or rimfire breechloading handguns are legal to own there.

What the story conveniently left [i]out[/i] was that the two girls shot were killed by someone using a [i]fully-automatic weapon[/i].  Submachineguns and honest-to-Christ select-fire "assault weapons" are available in England.  And they're being used more and more often.  The criminals look down on sawed-off shotguns these days.  AK-74's are [i]cool[/i] over there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top