Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 3:06:45 AM EDT
I'm thinking I need one of these new-fangled digital/plasma/HDTV/wide-screen jobbers.  In typical nerd fasion, its mostly so my Xbox and PS2 games will look cooler.
Anyway, what's the best bang for the buck when it comes to these things?  Do you own one?  Are you planning to get one?  Which one do you have/want?  Which one is the best overall?

I'd kill for one of these:
[url]http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sw1823.asp[/url]
or these:
[url]http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sw874.asp[/url]

But I think my girlfriend would leave me if I spent the $10k on a tv that the first one costs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:39:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah, and what's the cheapest I'm going to get away with a flat screen (like you hang on the wall) for?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got a flier from Costco and they have one for $3,000.00 after rebates and a special discount during a certain week.  I think I'm going to wait another year or two for the better plazma tv's to come down in price.

Edited to say, I think it was a 42"
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Norman74:

I recommend that you go to www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com  and they will answer any question you may have.  They list the top 5 plama tv's and identify the pros and cons of each and then they provide you with approximately 10 sites at which each can be purcahsed.   One of, if not the most informative site I have found related to plasma tv's.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe that Plasma TVs have some issues with video games. I don't remember exactly but you can probably find the answers here [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php?s=a09b41d0c0a5d105d7b763680e101349]Home Theater Forums[/url].
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Large projection TVs that are HD ready are around $2k. Are you getting that much more buying a plasma??
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe that Plasma TVs have some issues with video games. I don't remember exactly but you can probably find the answers here [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php?s=a09b41d0c0a5d105d7b763680e101349]Home Theater Forums[/url].
View Quote

Thanks for the link shorty, but just to register over there is a big pain in the ass, they insist that you use your real name, or some variation of it.  If they're that hard assed about registering, then what must they be like as mods?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Large projection TVs that are HD ready are around $2k. Are you getting that much more buying a plasma??
View Quote

I think that you're probably right.  I wanted a flat screen I could hang on the wall because I basically like the idea, and don't want some huge-ass prijection TV taking up large amounts of space in my living room.

So, lets hear from the projection TV gurus, where's that technology at these days?  What's a good model?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The B&O dealer here in NoVa just about admitted as much that the B&O 50" plasma is a rebadged 50" Panasonic plasma, FWIW. The mounting points in the back are identical as well as all the other specs and dimensions. I'm sure the price is not. They are sweet looking though - and 50" is huge!!!

DD

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definately.  Projection screen suck up close and at angels.  Plazma don't have that problem.  Their viewing angle is like 150+ degrees.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top